2015 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2015 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Vettel has no "super slam" or whatever you want to call it.
The level of luck needed to even get a Grand Slam is insane so i wouldnt expect many drivers to have a super slam.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

NathanOlder

Super Slam, I like it. Now we just need the expert of experts to let us know if its been done before.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

I guess the super slam's are less common these days because the leading driver (between teammates) is normally the first to pit (and then, not leading all laps of the GP)

deterherligt

This was also discussed on Reddit some months ago. Apparently the 1998 Brazilian gp was also a perfect weekend, with Hakkinen topping every session and achieving a grand Chelem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Brazilian_Grand_Prix

NathanOlder

Nice, thanks. Does anyone know anywhere that I can find the results to practice sessions in the past ? Say from the 80's and 90's ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

flat out

what's happening to Bottas' engine at the end of the start/finish line? Sounds like a rev limiter, but once it limits at 358 km/h and 2 laps later he goes 351 km/h, then the speed drops to 345 km/h and the rev limiter steps in.

NathanOlder

flat out wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3ODNB-BM4

what's happening to Bottas' engine at the end of the start/finish line? Sounds like a rev limiter, but once it limits at 358 km/h and 2 laps later he goes 351 km/h, then the speed drops to 345 km/h and the rev limiter steps in.
I'd guess at the graphic being wrong. The rev limiter is reached each time, so id say its the same speed, it's just for some reason the graphic is incorrect.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

PlatinumZealot

Why is there an rev limiter at 12,220 rpms???

Aren't these engines 15,000 rpm capable? Any one care to explain this? doesn't make sense to me Valterri had the power to keep accelerating... foolish precaution from Mercedes?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Nathanael F1

PlatinumZealot wrote:

Aren't these engines 15,000 rpm capable? Any one care to explain this? doesn't make sense to me Valterri had the power to keep accelerating... foolish precaution from Mercedes?
I was under the impression that at 15,000 rpm the engines don't produce that much power to offset the drop in efficiency. That's why they don't rev it all the way. But 12,200 rpm seems lower what I remember...?
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

tomazy

From Williams post race notes:
Bottas: It was a good result for the team today, good points which is important. My pitstop lost me too much time which was crucial for the second part of the race. I managed to get extremely close in the end but it was too late. As I saved my tyres and brakes I was able to attack in the final laps but we had system issues on the last lap, so we need to investigate what happened because I also lost an opportunity there. It's a shame for me that I couldn't be on the podium but it's still good points for us.
There are no news on what it was that I know of.

Juzh

Definitely not a rev limiter.

PlatinumZealot

Nathanael F1 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I was under the impression that at 15,000 rpm the engines don't produce that much power to offset the drop in efficiency. That's why they don't rev it all the way. But 12,200 rpm seems lower what I remember...?
I know that they make less power after the fuel limit but the engine was still accelerating even though it was the last gear. There was still more speed to be had than to be bouncing off the limiter. If they lifted that rev limit he could have ridden out the revs a little more that is for sure.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Juzh

PlatinumZealot wrote: I know that they make less power after the fuel limit but the engine was still accelerating even though it was the last gear. There was still more speed to be had than to be bouncing off the limiter. If they lifted that rev limit he could have ridden out the revs a little more that is for sure.
This is not the rev limiter. It's clearly an engine/system/software/gearbox problem. Last year mercs were using self imposed rev limiters at around 13.500 and I don't see them reducing it down to 12.700 for this year. On top of that, bottas confirmed after the race they had a "system" issue of some sort which cost him an opportunity vs massa.