2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Juzh

2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

Tires:

2015:

2015 pole lap:
https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-we ... anada.html

2015 timing information:
http://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-o ... ormation-7

Personally I believe the biggest question mark remains red bull and the renault upgrade. One would predict ferrari in front on a power sensitive track such as this one. If red bulls can mix it up with them on this circuit then ferrari has pretty much nowhere left to hide.
Williams should also regain some ground here, but will it be enough to put them in front of RB? Doubtful.

SectorOne

Re: 2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

Red Bull and Ferrari will probably have a little fight here. I expect Mercedes to resume their modus operandi of being in a different class. Especially around a stop and go track like this.

Williams the dark horse here i think. Probably gate-keepers.
If someone gets stuck behind, they stay behind.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Fulcrum

Not that it matters, but Haas and Renault have selected no Super Soft tyres. That's a first.

Jolle

Canada = Hamilton's track (if he or the car doesn't screw up)
It's going to ba a bit of a bounce back weekend for a few drivers.
- Has Kvyat lost his anger and frustration?
- Riciardo eager to make a point?
- Vettel wants to be on top of his Q3 pace again
- Verstappen prob a clean and not too much risk taking.
- did his inability to "get the tires to work" in Monaco affect Rosberg confidence (maybe his biggest weakness?)

It's a bit like back to work on Monday after a party with your colleges...

giantfan10

SectorOne wrote:Red Bull and Ferrari will probably have a little fight here. I expect Mercedes to resume their modus operandi of being in a different class. Especially around a stop and go track like this.

Williams the dark horse here i think. Probably gate-keepers.
If someone gets stuck behind, they stay behind.
I think it will be business as usual. Mercedes. Ferrari then red bull. Ferrari brings its upgraded turbocharger to Canada. Redbull claims a 5tenths improvement. The last time we had Ferrari not messing up quali on somewhat normal tracks their gap to red bull was 9tenths... lets forget that Ferrari is getting their much needed turbo upgrade and give red bullThat 5tenths , it still wouldnt be enough to be on par with the Ferrari PU. I think the last 2 tracks have inflated red bulls pace in most peoples eyes Barcelona where a faster Ferrari couldnt get past and Monaco where downforce and driver confidence matter more than PU power

GPR-A duplicate2

When the qualifying performances are analyzed, between Ferrari and Red Bull for the entire year, it is clear that Ferrari has had a considerable advantage of around 8 tenths to a second. It's another story that Ferrari didn't manage put a good show in China and their drivers screwed up the qualifying. But the gap has been quite large, more so in Bahrain and Russia. They should have every reason to feel confident for the next few races, with upcoming power hungry circuits.

Now, with Renault having brought an upgrade, which is rumored to be giving half a second advantage over a lap (still remains to be seen), the gap wouldn't really diminish, unless Red Bull introduces a dramatic upgrade on the chassis. Just with PU upgrade, the gap would still be somewhere around 3 tenths to half a second.

There is no real reason for Ferrari to be concerned, unless they continue to surprise themselves with their unique ways of screwing themselves. If they can manage to keep their heads in the right place, they should return from Montreal with rich haul of points. Definitely more than Red Bull.

Needless to say, Mercedes would be in a league of their own here.

Oh, come Q3, lightening strikes on Lewis' car OR he would probably have a losely fitted exhaust pipe this time OR water gets leaked under his seat and Toto comes out and says, "Both caaarsss (read in his accent) had probllems, more so on Lewis than Nico's" !!! :lol:

giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:When the qualifying performances are analyzed, between Ferrari and Red Bull for the entire year, it is clear that Ferrari has had a considerable advantage of around 8 tenths to a second. It's another story that Ferrari didn't manage put a good show in China and their drivers screwed up the qualifying. But the gap has been quite large, more so in Bahrain and Russia. They should have every reason to feel confident for the next few races, with upcoming power hungry circuits.

Now, with Renault having brought an upgrade, which is rumored to be giving half a second advantage over a lap (still remains to be seen), the gap wouldn't really diminish, unless Red Bull introduces a dramatic upgrade on the chassis. Just with PU upgrade, the gap would still be somewhere around 3 tenths to half a second.

There is no real reason for Ferrari to be concerned, unless they continue to surprise themselves with their unique ways of screwing themselves. If they can manage to keep their heads in the right place, they should return from Montreal with rich haul of points. Definitely more than Red Bull.

Needless to say, Mercedes would be in a league of their own here.

Oh, come Q3, lightening strikes on Lewis' car OR he would probably have a losely fitted exhaust pipe this time OR water gets leaked under his seat and Toto comes out and says, "Both caaarsss (read in his accent) had probllems, more so on Lewis than Nico's" !!! :lol:
Completely agree.. you forgot to mention that Ferrari has been running their engine at less than maximum because of their turbo issues..they get the new turbo for canada so thats that....
Of course red bull fans dont want to hear that their team was flattered by barcelona and monaco due to their layouts...

Sevach

I thought Pirelli forced least one tire of each type on the teams...

Don't get me wrong the less restrictions the better, but weird.

BanMeToo

Yes I am a little bit confused too... if S and SS are the 'race' tires then yea I thought it means that 1 set of each has to be available for the race, even if they are not used.

pob

For Canada, it's two sets of soft that they have to "save for the race" (although really they can use them before, they are just not allowed to give them back).

GPR-A duplicate2

giantfan10 wrote:Completely agree.. you forgot to mention that Ferrari has been running their engine at less than maximum because of their turbo issues..they get the new turbo for canada so thats that....
Of course red bull fans dont want to hear that their team was flattered by barcelona and monaco due to their layouts...
Right. They did had a detuned PU for China, that brought Red Bull closer to them.
They did introduced a performance upgrade in Russia for their PU by spending 3 tokens. I am not sure if that was to fix their turbo issues. With that upgrade, they again moved away from Red Bull. They are now planning another upgrade for Canada.
Link - Ferrari considering engine upgrade for Canada

FW17

So how many tokens have Renault spent so far this year?

Any chance of them using all 32 tokens before the last race?

giantfan10

GPR-A wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:Completely agree.. you forgot to mention that Ferrari has been running their engine at less than maximum because of their turbo issues..they get the new turbo for canada so thats that....
Right. They did had a detuned PU for China, that brought Red Bull closer to them.
They did introduced a performance upgrade in Russia for their PU by spending 3 tokens. I am not sure if that was to fix their turbo issues. With that upgrade, they again moved away from Red Bull. They are now planning another upgrade for Canada.
They are talking about the turbo upgrade. Thats a badly written article. The facts are Ferrari WILL bring the upgraded turbo to canada... the issue is whether they will be allowed to upgrade the turbo using the reliability clause or if they will be forced to use tokens. Arrivabene said so pretty ckearly in the article i read
Edit.
The quote is in an article on the front page of this website also
"We will bring upgrades for the PU (in Canada). But we don't know if we will spend tokens. We're still talking with the FIA," added Arrivabene.

ME4ME

I'm clueless as to why Renault & Haas decided not to bring any SuperSoft tyres. You'd think a team must be prepared for whatever situation it could find itself in. An early safety car for example. I for sure would want a third alternative in any situation..

I think Ferrari got this right. 3-3-7 would be my choice.

wickedz50

GPR-A wrote:
Honestly this upgrade is Ferrari's last hope for 2016. If this delivers what they are expecting then definitely there is still a chance that Ferrari is yet to throw in the towel. From Canada GP to the summer break its crucial. If nothing goes as per expectations then the summer break should plan and focus on 2017.