2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Re: 2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

=D>
dans79 wrote:
SR71 wrote:
Thats true, that half second in one sector is still pretty mega.

I'm curious if this 1.2 estimation and .5 seconds actual gives us a hint at the results tolerance between simulation and actual physics.... Also the large difference could be because they had no data on the track.
If you compare the best sector times Between Merc & RBR you get RBR down in every sector.

#1 -0.53
#2 -0.503
#3 -0.449
lap 1.482 (at least close to 1.2)

I think you will find the answer is more along the lines of Marko taking something that resembles fact, and then twisting it to suit his agenda.

anzx
anzx

Powy wrote:According to Motorsport and Amus Red Bull's tire problems were caused by the low downforce setup which made the cars slide and the tires overheat.
Hm, interesting, I thought that long straights cooled down tires too much. So when they accelerated from slow speed corners there was no heat (grip) in them and they just spun too much which killed the rubber. So the medium just worked well because they didn't lose that much heat during long straights. Something similar was seen in Monaco when Hamilton could not warm up the ultra soft tires, but on SS and Softs there was no such problem. Redbull always ran low downforce and they never had such an awful degredation. Your thoughts?

SR71

dans79 wrote:
SR71 wrote:
Thats true, that half second in one sector is still pretty mega.

I'm curious if this 1.2 estimation and .5 seconds actual gives us a hint at the results tolerance between simulation and actual physics.... Also the large difference could be because they had no data on the track.
If you compare the best sector times Between Merc & RBR you get RBR down in every sector.

#1 -0.53
#2 -0.503
#3 -0.449
lap 1.482 (at least close to 1.2)

I think you will find the answer is more along the lines of Marko taking something that resembles fact, and then twisting it to suit his agenda.
So you mean Marko is exactly like us forum members? He is human after all then, glad we answered that question.

Pierce89

anzx wrote:
Powy wrote:According to Motorsport and Amus Red Bull's tire problems were caused by the low downforce setup which made the cars slide and the tires overheat.
Hm, interesting, I thought that long straights cooled down tires too much. So when they accelerated from slow speed corners there was no heat (grip) in them and they just spun too much which killed the rubber. So the medium just worked well because they didn't lose that much heat during long straights. Something similar was seen in Monaco when Hamilton could not warm up the ultra soft tires, but on SS and Softs there was no such problem. Redbull always ran low downforce and they never had such an awful degredation. Your thoughts?
Actually the downforce loads at very high speeds had Pirelli worried before the race.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... f9F39n9sfw
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote:
Fine but wouldn't that apply to everyone, did they change something during the race since their biggest problems were on SS: five laps for Verstappen :wtf: . I don't know if was posted: AmuS about Merc engine modes. https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 53361.html If I understand it correctly:
- it cost Hamilton 0,2 s according to Wolff, so not a lot, he fixed it in the end by accident and wasn't that quick anyway, tyres, braking (in case usual myths appear). Only beating Raikkonen was possible without problems.
- Rosberg same problem, lap 27 (didn't have to use it before), took him half a lap to correct it, had it easier supposedly since it was the only new variable.
- the whole Hamilton - Bonnington exchange made me laugh to be honest.
They were a Little bit embarrasing at times but it was funny. Anyway the radio messages between Kimi and his engineer are the best ones. Man, both engineers should have a higher salary than others. Sometimes they must be extremely patient with his drivers. :D

FW17

Bottas clocked 378 kph

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:it embarrasing at times but it was funny. Anyway the radio messages between Kimi and his engineer are the best ones. Man, both engineers should have a higher salary than others. Sometimes they must be extremely patient with his drivers. :D
Just in case: that wasn't against Hamilton, problem wasn't his but look at this:
- I'm gonna try and change everything
- Uhh, we don't advise that... Lewis."
That's half a second lost. Is this advice only legal because fiddling with buttons would result in race ending problems? So can they do that something like that:
- I'm pushing A B C sequence, - Uhh, we don't advise that...
- I'm pushing B C A sequence, - Uhh, we don't advise that...
- I'm pushing C A B sequence, - ...(whistles), - Bingo! ?

- Problem with inflating engine disadvantage is that there are technical people responsible that don't want to be blamed. A bit like cracks in the chassis (blaming part not the problem). Head to Head: http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... 20Hamilton One lap and not much more.
- Have you seen Perez pushing and almost clipping the wall at 8 on lap 30 something :shock: ?

Juzh

FW17 wrote:Bottas clocked 378 kph
Except he didn't.
https://streamable.com/5ms9

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

iotar__ wrote:- I'm gonna try and change everything
That's half a second lost. Is this advice only legal because fiddling with buttons would result in race ending problems? So can they do that something like that:
Nah, the difference is how general / vague their real conversation was. "I'm gonna try everything" is way different than a specific statement that would probably get them reprimanded.

- I'm gonna try and change everything - "Uhh, we don't advise that... Lewis."
- I'm pushing A B C sequence - "Ok Lewis, can't comment on that..."

Vasconia

iotar__ wrote:
Vasconia wrote:it embarrasing at times but it was funny. Anyway the radio messages between Kimi and his engineer are the best ones. Man, both engineers should have a higher salary than others. Sometimes they must be extremely patient with his drivers. :D
Just in case: that wasn't against Hamilton, problem wasn't his but look at this:
- I'm gonna try and change everything

- Problem with inflating engine disadvantage is that there are technical people responsible that don't want to be blamed. A bit like cracks in the chassis (blaming part not the problem). Head to Head: http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... 20Hamilton One lap and not much more.
- Have you seen Perez pushing and almost clipping the wall at 8 on lap 30 something :shock: ?
Ohhh yes!! Perez was amazing on that corner. Pedro de la Rosa was pointing out this during several laps because it was pretty spectacular. =D>

dans79

well this is just lovely.....

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/340949/
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff insists there was "no way" Lewis Hamilton could have known how to solve an electrical problem which affected his W07 Hybrid during the European Grand Prix.
"He reported some electrical de-rates quite early on but it only became clear around his pit stop that he was suffering from quite a big performance deficit with the car," Wolff explained.

"Once we had identified the problem, it could have been changed with a single radio message.
"It was an unusual and counter-intuitive problem with an engine mode so there was no way Lewis could know what to change to solve it."
"Correcting those problems will be our focus in the coming days."
197 104 103 7

Phil

BanMeToo wrote:
iotar__ wrote:- I'm gonna try and change everything
Nah, the difference is how general / vague their real conversation was. "I'm gonna try everything" is way different than a specific statement that would probably get them reprimanded.

- I'm gonna try and change everything - "Uhh, we don't advise that... Lewis."
- I'm pushing A B C sequence - "Ok Lewis, can't comment on that..."
Maybe this helps to understand the complexity:

"16 engine positions and in those 20 different [ERS?] settings again".

Well composed interview. But yes, not pleased about these [technical] problems he seems to be having. I'm not thinking "sabotage" but given they have two cars, it's somewhat baffling that this specific problem would only occur on one of them. Wouldn't they both have the equal engine modes?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

dans79 wrote:well this is just lovely.....

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/340949/
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff insists there was "no way" Lewis Hamilton could have known how to solve an electrical problem which affected his W07 Hybrid during the European Grand Prix.
"He reported some electrical de-rates quite early on but it only became clear around his pit stop that he was suffering from quite a big performance deficit with the car," Wolff explained.

"Once we had identified the problem, it could have been changed with a single radio message.
"It was an unusual and counter-intuitive problem with an engine mode so there was no way Lewis could know what to change to solve it."
"Correcting those problems will be our focus in the coming days."
Each and everytime when Toto says something, you almost always call it BS and Toto a PR machine etc etc. Now how come you accept what he is saying this time?

dans79

GrayGreat wrote: Each and everytime when Toto says something, you almost always call it BS and Toto a PR machine etc etc. Now how come you accept what he is saying this time?
who said I accepted it?

It's a complete flip flop from what he said previously, and pretty much points out the BS & PR. Wolff & Lauda, both seem to subscribe to the philosophy of 'just say something when you get a microphone stuck in your face".
Last edited by dans79 on 21 Jun 2016, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Re: RE: Re: 2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

dans79 wrote:
GrayGreat wrote: Each and everytime when Toto says something, you almost always call it BS and Toto a PR machine etc etc. Now how come you accept what he is saying this time?
who said I accepted it?

It's a complete flip flop from what he said previously, and pretty much points out the BS & PR. Wolff & Lauda, both seem to subscribe to the philosophy of 'just say something' when the get a microphone stuck in your face.
Sorry I misunderstood. I didn't realized you were being sarcastic.