2016 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, Fri 01 – Sun 03 Jul 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
WaikeCU

Re: 2016 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, Fri 01 – Sun 03 Jul 2016

Gothrek wrote: ...At least they have not ever showcased it that they can build anything that is fast or durable...
Calendars... :wink:

ds.raikkonen

Wow, biblical discussion in this thread! Rotate your turrets to the British GP now :D
Both #6 and #44 will have a point to prove there, hopefully without coming together at any stage!
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

cooken

Actually, please remain here and don't litter the British GP thread with this filth.

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
dans79 wrote:
George-Jung wrote:Just look at it this way, this is Rosberg's Senna driving style..
I think Senna would be offend by this statement! :lol:
I think senna is the only driver who admitted to drive someone off track for his own advantage. Those were the days :P
yes he´s one of the few sincere drivers in F1 history :mrgreen:

But that was as a revenge for past season, when the driver he drove off track drove him off track :wink:

Yes I agree revenge is a poor excuse, but at least there´s a excuse. I´d have done the same btw, to me the scandalous part of all this was the past season accident and stewards decision. Senna´s move was just dictated by karma :P

Andres125sx

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Gettingonabit wrote:Hey guys where is the ignore button?
The people who think Nico was right, rammed it off the server.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: best postb of past 20-30 pages =D>

Andres125sx

About Pirelli....

Some people is blaming Pirelli, some people is arguing tire blowouts have always happened in F1. I´ll this at the respect:

Tires must be quick, durable and safe. Quick and durable are contradictory terms, so tire manufacturers must choose their own balance. In racing series they usually offer different rubbers to let teams choose best balance for them. Safety is not a balance, they must be safe, always.

Problem with Pirelli is

1- they´re not quick, they lost 1,5 seconds with Bridgestone on his very first season.
2- They´re not durable, but we could exonerate Pirelli because FIA ask them to manufacture tires wich are not durable to increase strategy diversity
3- Safety... some people will say they´re safe, as blowouts have not been a problem past seasons. I see it differently. Pirelli is forcing teams to use pressures way higher than they would normally use so now tires are even slower, claiming it is a safety measure. Even so, we´ve seen some blowout.

I agree blowouts are not a big problem today, but when F1 tires are slow, must be nursed to not destroy them, must be overinflated to avoid safety risks, and even so there´s some blowout from time to time.... can someone explain me how FIA is renewing Pirelli contract?

It´s not a random blowout, it´s a tire manufacturer who build chewing gums wich are soft but far from fast, must be used at higher than normal pressures, and can blow out randomly. In other words, Pirelli tires can´t perform on one single aspect from those where tires must perform.

It is not blaming pirelli, it is common sense, something FIA and MrE can´t even spell

dans79

Andres125sx wrote:. can someone explain me how FIA is renewing Pirelli contract?
Because Bernie is a cheap a******************
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:. can someone explain me how FIA is renewing Pirelli contract?
Because Bernie is a cheap a******************
Starts with an M ends with oney

Plus the French bid was with modern low profile tires and we know how much modern stuff is hated within the F1 community.

mrluke

I dont think anybody else wants to build 13" tyres that degrade rapidly. Only Pirelli are willing to sign up to this.

strad

After the crap Pirelli has taken for building tires that F1 wants, I don't think any other manufacturer would want to face the same fate.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ClarkBT11

The tires don't match the engine formula.

If your not Mercedes you can't keep a high downforce setup to generate heat into the tires because you loose too much on the straights.

Wehrlin said because the track was resurfaced his car managed to keep heat in the tyres. He said at other tracks manor can't put enough downforce on the car to heat the Pirelli's up and stay competitive in the straights.

Thank you FIA and Co...

sosic2121

ClarkBT11 wrote:The tires don't match the engine formula.

If your not Mercedes you can't keep a high downforce setup to generate heat into the tires because you loose too much on the straights.

Wehrlin said because the track was resurfaced his car managed to keep heat in the tyres. He said at other tracks manor can't put enough downforce on the car to heat the Pirelli's up and stay competitive in the straights.

Thank you FIA and Co...
First, I agree with you.
But why FI and Williams aren't competitive? they are a lot slower than RB and Ferrari, and merc is another 2 steps ahead with same engine!?

ClarkBT11

sosic2121 wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:The tires don't match the engine formula.

Thank you FIA and Co...
First, I agree with you.
But why FI and Williams aren't competitive? they are a lot slower than RB and Ferrari, and merc is another 2 steps ahead with same engine!?
I don't think they get all have to have the same engine maps that could be why they get more out of their engine plus their engine is designed for their chassis. It could be that in a certain configuration you can exert more power. Do they all get the same fuel and lubricants probably not

How can Mercedes use more downforce and still top the speed trap is their aero that efficient. A lot of people would disagree....

ChrisDanger

Posted this in the Manor thread too. Just not sure if anyone really goes there, but also this thread became a no-go zone for me a while ago, so not sure if it will get seen here either.

In any case...

Nice video on f1.com about Pascal and Manor's experience at the Austrian GP. Pascal explains what happened at the start in more detail than has previously been reported, which reveals why he didn't gain any places this time.

sosic2121

ClarkBT11 wrote: I don't think they get all have to have the same engine maps that could be why they get more out of their engine plus their engine is designed for their chassis. It could be that in a certain configuration you can exert more power. Do they all get the same fuel and lubricants probably not

How can Mercedes use more downforce and still top the speed trap is their aero that efficient. A lot of people would disagree....
I believe mercedes (from day one) run their engine in some special way.
Is any other mercedes powered team running water intercooler?
also mercedes engine is less reliable then Williams, FI or Manor. I don't think that's an accident.

ric's pole in Monaco is a proof that merc chassis is not so special.

I believe that 0.5s gap that merc has in Q since ever is much bigger but they're sandbagging.

About fuel, afaik, they have same supplier, but that means nothing.

one more thing I noticed, half way down the straights mercedes speed advantage is huge, but at the end of the straights other teams are often little faster. all points to more power and much more DF/drag...