2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shooty81

Re: 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

Andres125sx wrote:
flickerf1 wrote: The only weak teammate Lewis has had is Heikki. Fernando has had Massa and Kimi (2014), and Piquet Jr.
So you´re comparing Kovalainnen, who did nothing in f1, with a WDC and a WDC contender?

Also, you´re forgetting Rosberg :mrgreen: and I´m deadly serious :twisted: He can´t fight with Lewis not even when Lewis had a season start with lots of points lost. Massa was a tougher contender for Fernando, and Trulli, and Fisichella, and Kimi..... ok Kimi wasn´t :lol:
You can also see it like this:
With all the bad luck Rosberg had in the races (crashed by teammate, team order, unlucky pass against Verstanden, grid penalty for gearbox change, team giving information in a way he gets a penalty,...) he is still leading the championship at the moment. So he can't be that bad.

Jolle

Shooty81 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
flickerf1 wrote: The only weak teammate Lewis has had is Heikki. Fernando has had Massa and Kimi (2014), and Piquet Jr.
So you´re comparing Kovalainnen, who did nothing in f1, with a WDC and a WDC contender?

Also, you´re forgetting Rosberg :mrgreen: and I´m deadly serious :twisted: He can´t fight with Lewis not even when Lewis had a season start with lots of points lost. Massa was a tougher contender for Fernando, and Trulli, and Fisichella, and Kimi..... ok Kimi wasn´t :lol:
With all the bad luck Rosberg had in the races (crashed by teammate, team order, unlucky pass against Verstanden, grid penalty for gearbox change, team giving information in a way he gets a penalty,...) he is still leading the championship at the moment. So he can't be that bad.
Well, the last time he was faster over a season was in 2004, when he finished 2 points ahead in his second year of the F3 euroseries against rookie Hamilton. Beating Hamilton is almost an impossibility for Rosberg :P

flickerf1

Andres125sx wrote:

You're right.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Andres125sx

Shooty81 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Crashed by team mate? I guess you´re talking about Spain. That was Nico´s fault 100%, you can´t push your rival to the grass after making a mistake with PU mapping. That maneouver should be used to explain young drivers what should never be done.

But FIA and Mercedes need some excitement in the championship, so they did what they do best, looking at other side as if that would have never happened

Team orders have been a lot more harmfull for Lewis than Nico. Did you forget Monaco?

That pass from Max is light years far from bad luck. That´s what happens when an aggresive driver meet a mild one, he´s anihilated. Same that happened multiple times between Alonso and Massa. Driving excelence from one driver togheter with excess of care from the other one.

And both drivers have suffered mechanical problems, so sorry but disagree, it´s Lewis who was ´unlucky´ with lots of mechanical problems and also some driver mistakes wich should have provided a huge advantage to his team mate. But that advatage does not exist.

I really like Nico, he looks like a nice guy, but as a driver he´s very far from Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel. He´s even far from Ricciardo/Verstappen who IMO are the next step in the grid. Mercedes is desperate to make him a champion, as that would show the whole word you don´t need to be Hamilton to be WDC with Mercedes. FIA would love that too, but I´m afraid they will never see that happening

sosic2121

Shooty81 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

I'm not sure about this but is the rosberg only driver from top 3 teams that didn't run off at turn 1?

Jolle

sosic2121 wrote:
Shooty81 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:So you´re comparing Kovalainnen, who did nothing in f1, with a WDC and a WDC contender?

I'm not sure about this but is the rosberg only driver from top 3 teams that didn't run off at turn 1?
And thats why he was running third.
Look at the MotoGP today, Lorenzo didn't took any risk, the triple WC came in fifteenth. While winner Marquez had a bit of a dirt track moment and won.

NathanOlder

Andres125sx wrote:
ringo wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: Stats means nothing in F1

To me the three greats are indeed greats, but my rating has changed during past seasons. I struggled to accept Vettel in this group, but he´s proved to deserve it. OTOH Lewis has proved to be not too reliable, he mekes more mistakes than he should. And Alonso is hard to judge on a McLaren, his seasons in red proved he´s one of the greatest of all times, but now I´m not sure if he still keep same hungry.

I see Lewis like one of those who can be fastest on grid, but need to be in good mood. Alonso is the opposite, maybe not the fastest but he´s a clock, always at same pace. I see Vettel something in between
Vettel got his ass whooped by Ricciardo, who is now struggling against an 18 year old. As i said, Hamilton has done it all and more. Neither vettel nor Alonso have fought with a WDC in his prime and won. Alonso and Vettel have just got a demotivated Kimi to beat up on.
No driver on current grid has had as tough team mates as Alonso. Only taking into account WDC he´s fought with Kimi, Button and Hamilton, apart from Villeneuve who can´t be count too seriously, and some other strong drivers like Trulli, Fisicho, Massa, Grosjean... Only past season, due to Honda failures and pre-season accident, his team mate (Button) managed to score more points than Alonso. Even in 2007 with that huge support Lewis got from both his godfather (tire pressure mistakes, lights falling over Alonso´s car, allowing part of your team claiming against some other part of your team..) and FIA (cranes are allowed to put Lewis on track if he get stuck on gravel traps, steward decisions will be harsh with any Lewis competitor and soft with Lewis himself...) and even when he was Lewis (one of the greats), couldn´t score one more single point than Alonso.

BTW, IMHO that´s exactly the same situation Ricciardo is suffering right now. RBR is heavily biased towards Max. This is not any conspiracy theory, this is understanding about how F1 works. This is all about money, and if you can hype some driver to get fans attention, you´ll get more media coverage, more sponsors, more money, and more chances to win. McLaren did it with Lewis, Renault did it with Alonso, RBR did it with Vettel, and now again with Max. Mercedes is trying desperately with Nico too, but they can´t make up the huge difference between both drivers :twisted:

Lewis has fought with Alonso and needed huge team support only to tie in points, and with Button he was evenly matched, first season for Lewis, second for Button (around 40 points differece both seasons) and third one for Lewis but with only 2 points advantage. Lewis had an edge, but not so big as some (me) would have expected.

So not sure what do you exactly mean, all of them have had tough team mates, Vettel not so much due to his age, but I can´t see how Lewis team mates have been any stronger than Alonso´s teammates. To me it´s exactly the opposite

Your putting a rookie down for only tying with the current double world champion!! Your opinion is broken
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

And people going on about being in the best car,

Its down to the driver to place himself in the best car available.
If Lewis has always had a good car as you guys say, then you are just paying him a massive compliment!

I mean what IDIOT would leave a team that would win 3 races the following year, to go to a team that just about score 3 points!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ClarkBT11

NathanOlder wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
ringo wrote:
Vettel got his ass whooped by Ricciardo, who is now struggling against an 18 year old. As i said, Hamilton has done it all and more. Neither vettel nor Alonso have fought with a WDC in his prime and won. Alonso and Vettel have just got a demotivated Kimi to beat up on.
No driver on current grid has had as tough team mates as Alonso. Only taking into account WDC he´s fought with Kimi, Button and Hamilton, apart from Villeneuve who can´t be count too seriously, and some other strong drivers like Trulli, Fisicho, Massa, Grosjean... Only past season, due to Honda failures and pre-season accident, his team mate (Button) managed to score more points than Alonso. Even in 2007 with that huge support Lewis got from both his godfather (tire pressure mistakes, lights falling over Alonso´s car, allowing part of your team claiming against some other part of your team..) and FIA (cranes are allowed to put Lewis on track if he get stuck on gravel traps, steward decisions will be harsh with any Lewis competitor and soft with Lewis himself...) and even when he was Lewis (one of the greats), couldn´t score one more single point than Alonso.

BTW, IMHO that´s exactly the same situation Ricciardo is suffering right now. RBR is heavily biased towards Max. This is not any conspiracy theory, this is understanding about how F1 works. This is all about money, and if you can hype some driver to get fans attention, you´ll get more media coverage, more sponsors, more money, and more chances to win. McLaren did it with Lewis, Renault did it with Alonso, RBR did it with Vettel, and now again with Max. Mercedes is trying desperately with Nico too, but they can´t make up the huge difference between both drivers :twisted:

Lewis has fought with Alonso and needed huge team support only to tie in points, and with Button he was evenly matched, first season for Lewis, second for Button (around 40 points differece both seasons) and third one for Lewis but with only 2 points advantage. Lewis had an edge, but not so big as some (me) would have expected.

So not sure what do you exactly mean, all of them have had tough team mates, Vettel not so much due to his age, but I can´t see how Lewis team mates have been any stronger than Alonso´s teammates. To me it´s exactly the opposite

Your putting a rookie down for only tying with the current double world champion!! Your opinion is broken

Alonso stated" my team boss stated in China, saying that they weren’t racing against Raikkonen but against me, was a declaration of intent."
The FIA bowed to Alonso’s demands and appointed a steward at Interlagos to keep an eye on the McLaren pit during qualifying. He found nothing

Alonso needed an excuse why a rookie could beat the two time world champion on what grounds do you define huge team support. Alonso's....

Jolle

ClarkBT11 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: No driver on current grid has had as tough team mates as Alonso. Only taking into account WDC he´s fought with Kimi, Button and Hamilton, apart from Villeneuve who can´t be count too seriously, and some other strong drivers like Trulli, Fisicho, Massa, Grosjean... Only past season, due to Honda failures and pre-season accident, his team mate (Button) managed to score more points than Alonso. Even in 2007 with that huge support Lewis got from both his godfather (tire pressure mistakes, lights falling over Alonso´s car, allowing part of your team claiming against some other part of your team..) and FIA (cranes are allowed to put Lewis on track if he get stuck on gravel traps, steward decisions will be harsh with any Lewis competitor and soft with Lewis himself...) and even when he was Lewis (one of the greats), couldn´t score one more single point than Alonso.

Alonso stated" my team boss stated in China, saying that they weren’t racing against Raikkonen but against me, was a declaration of intent."
The FIA bowed to Alonso’s demands and appointed a steward at Interlagos to keep an eye on the McLaren pit during qualifying. He found nothing

Alonso needed an excuse why a rookie could beat the two time world champion on what grounds do you define huge team support. Alonso's....
Alonso is one of the great, he's only got one big problem and that seems to be his attitude. Looks like when it's not going his way, he gets openly critical about the team and plays the blame game. This costed his place with McLaren and had to drive a Renault for two years again and final his place at Ferrari. Now he tried the same trick again at McLaren (GP2 engine). Hell of a driver but not a team player. A big contrast to someone like Vettel or even Hamilton these past few years. Almost feels like he's missing the powerful hand of Briatore.

If he had a bit more self restraint and reflection, he could have been a 4 or 5 times WC by now. So far, Vettel and Hamilton haven't let their personalities come in the way of succes and maximized their chances of succes. Therefore Vettel and Hamilton are the more complete F1 drivers at the moment.

On track on the other hand, there is nothing between them.

F1PuertoRico

Jolle wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Alonso is one of the great, he's only got one big problem and that seems to be his attitude. Looks like when it's not going his way, he gets openly critical about the team and plays the blame game. This costed his place with McLaren and had to drive a Renault for two years again and final his place at Ferrari. Now he tried the same trick again at McLaren (GP2 engine). Hell of a driver but not a team player. A big contrast to someone like Vettel or even Hamilton these past few years. Almost feels like he's missing the powerful hand of Briatore.

If he had a bit more self restraint and reflection, he could have been a 4 or 5 times WC by now. So far, Vettel and Hamilton haven't let their personalities come in the way of succes and maximized their chances of succes. Therefore Vettel and Hamilton are the more complete F1 drivers at the moment.

Jolle , +1, Alonso is a heck of a driver but he has a black cloud over his head, always involved in controversies that doesnt help his case. Still remember singapore crashgate.

ChrisDanger

F1PuertoRico wrote:Jolle , +1, Alonso is a heck of a driver but he has a black cloud over his head, always involved in controversies that doesnt help his case. Still remember singapore crashgate.
Piquet's crash can hardly be seen to have been orchestrated by Alonso. In fact, it's highly doubtful he even knew about its cause until after the race. You really have to have had an overview of the race to have seen the advantage, which Alonso certainly did not have. I'm not sure you could consider Alonso to have been involved in any sense of the word, except as an innocent bystander.

ClarkBT11

Jolle wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

He is a great driver inside the car. Aldo Costa said in a interview after he left Ferrari that Alonso is a conundrum very complex personality. I think Maybe a bit self obsessed can't see the big picture.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
ringo wrote:

Putting a rookie down? Sorry but you did understand nothing!

At the end of 2006 I was VERY excited about 2007 season, because after watching Lewis show in GP2 I was pretty excited about the duel in McLaren. Actually I was almost sure Lewis was the only driver who could fight with Alonso.

Did you watch 2006 GP2 season? Lewis car looked like a different category, he was that fast

So basically I was willing to see a great duel in 2007, but McLaren dissapointed me strongly, with their huge bias toward Lewis despite their public image of "we do not favour anyone".

I was very excited about the duel, but McLaren managed to ruin it. I really think Lewis didn´t need any help, but thanks to McLaren favouritism we lost what could have been one of the best duels in f1 history. I was expecting Alonso winning in first season due to Lewis lack of experience, and an EPIC battle in 2008.

We missed that epic battle due to McLaren favouritism, no more no less.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:And people going on about being in the best car,

Its down to the driver to place himself in the best car available.
If Lewis has always had a good car as you guys say, then you are just paying him a massive compliment!
I´ve never considered predicting future as an important point for a race driver, but hey, you´re right, in F1 it proved to be very important :twisted: :lol:

Did you think in 2008-09 RBR would dominate F1? An almost new team with no F1 experience? No

Did you think in 2012-13 Mercedes would dominate F1? No

Do you think Honda will dominate in 2017-18? No :twisted:

F1 is too complicated to play sheer, some drivers are lucky with their decisions, some aren´t. But that´s irrelevant when talking about drivers talent.

Is Vettel a genius because he was in RBR when their dominance period started? Obviously no, he´s not, he was just lucky to be in the right place at the right moment. Same for Lewis with Mercedes, same for Button with Brawn...
NathanOlder wrote:I mean what IDIOT would leave a team that would win 3 races the following year, to go to a team that just about score 3 points!
An idiot who already have so much victories he´s not interested in race victories anymore because he´s only interested on title crowns

BTW, time is proving that idiot was right, Ferrari is unable to fight for titles to the point Vettel is already considering moving out of the red team. Is Vettel another idiot or simply Ferrari is a disaster?

Ferrari is still recolecting the fruits of past glories. Without those no top driver would want to drive for them. But that cannot last forever, I wonder what driver will they sign in next seasons, because I can´t see any Lewis, Alonso or Vettel signing for them again, they´ll be forced to sign some young driver like Sainz or similar