2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2016 Belgian Grand Prix - Fri 26 – Sun 28 Aug 2016

Juzh wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:It's lucky Max was there otherwise it woukd be a disaster for Ferrari, taking each other out.
erhm?? how exactly? If max is not there, then there's an extra car width of space for both ferraris to take?
Just going on the fact that the Ferrari's crashed into each other before the Red Bull was even hit. The difference in lines between Vettel and Kimi was so great, I feel that if Max wasn't there, there was still a good chance Seb's chop would have caught Kimi's front wing.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle
Jolle

Vasconia wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
dans79 wrote:
https://youtu.be/PuAwa9SqcI4

I haven't seen any on board footage either but you can see in the video that Lewis is in front of Alonso at the start. However he takes turn one very slowly and wide, while Alonso Dives for the Apex.

Basically it's the difference between a guy fighting for the championship and one with nothing to lose.
That's correct. Lewis said he was avoiding the aftermath of the Kimi VET incident. He took one side Alonso took the other, but Alonso ended up better off.
And a guy who is famous making awesome starts.
I can imagine the team instucting him right away, without the clash, 6th would be normal but with three of them gone, 3rth, but only if he didn't ran into trouble himself, was relative easy.

PlatinumZealot

Actually, Lewis was in front up to turn 1.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SiLo

Can't get my head around Vettels line into turn 1. Kimi and Max were both making that corner as there is plenty of space on the exit, but Vettel just turned right across both of them. Was not far enough ahead to pull it off and paid the price.
Felipe Baby!

Zynerji

carisi2k wrote:
LionKing wrote:
carisi2k wrote:I don't disagree with you on Max but Seb didn't leave any room on the inside for Kimi and he hit Kimi before Kimi made contact with Max. Seb went straight for the apex like it was a qualifying lap when he should have stayed wide, given room to Kimi and he would have came out in front of them.
Vettel did leave enough space but Kimi could not turn in beause of Max inside
https://s21.postimg.org/bdd2b17k7/Belgium_II.jpg
If you think that is enough room then your crazy. Seb needed to be several car widths wider then that.
Even though the rules specifically demand a single cars width be left?

Andres125sx

Probably people didn´t notice, but Alonso went from 22th grid position to p4 only at lap 10 :wtf:

Obviously he was lucky with the incidents, but even so that´s a really impressive recovery =D> =D> =D>

Jolle
Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:Probably people didn´t notice, but Alonso went from 22th grid position to p4 only at lap 10 :wtf:

Obviously he was lucky with the incidents, but even so that´s a really impressive recovery =D> =D> =D>
Yes, well... bit of luck and staying out of trouble, pitty he slided back to 7th. And wasn't that with an older spec PU?

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:dont get me wrong, that doesnt take away verstappens bold moves, very much on the edge, but it simply makes me wonder why people go all out on that when its so easily forgotten that he is far from the first one to make these moves.
So if someone do something dangerous everything is ok if that´s not first time in F1? #-o

Anycase I think problem here is not the incident itself, but the path. Verstappen is proving to be a VERY aggressive driver. There have always been aggressive drivers in F1, but FIA usually put a limit to those drivers with some penalty or reprimand.

Not with Max, it looks like he can do whatever he want. As Villeneuve says, he´s being protected by FIA. Not a wise strategy with an agressive teenager if you ask me

Don´t get me wrong, I like aggressive drivers and I like Max, but I don´t like seeing how FIA punishes some drivers for much less while Max get away with anything he does. FIA´s agenda makes me sick

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:Just going on the fact that the Ferrari's crashed into each other before the Red Bull was even hit. The difference in lines between Vettel and Kimi was so great, I feel that if Max wasn't there, there was still a good chance Seb's chop would have caught Kimi's front wing.
Probably you´re missing this
Kimi Raikonnen wrote:After the start, at the first corner, Sebastian didn't see that there was another car on the inside: he expected me to turn but I couldn't, so I found myself stuck in the middle with nowhere to go
http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/featu ... -team.html

Andres125sx

djos wrote:
LionKing wrote:
carisi2k wrote:I don't disagree with you on Max but Seb didn't leave any room on the inside for Kimi and he hit Kimi before Kimi made contact with Max. Seb went straight for the apex like it was a qualifying lap when he should have stayed wide, given room to Kimi and he would have came out in front of them.
Vettel did leave enough space but Kimi could not turn in beause of Max inside
https://s21.postimg.org/bdd2b17k7/Belgium_II.jpg
Every driver knows they need to watch what the other cars are doing before turning in, this is racing 101. Kimi clearly was watching Max as he adjusted his line, but Seb didn't and he caused the crash as a result.
Same could be applied to Max, he should know what the other cars are doing. When there are several cars in front of you at first corner of first lap, trying to recover the positions you lost at the start is far from a wise maneouver

Both Seb and Max have some responsability, but overall a racing incident IMO, usual first corner carnage due to too many drivers trying to make the corner first

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Andres125sx wrote:Probably people didn´t notice, but Alonso went from 22th grid position to p4 only at lap 10 :wtf:

Apparently Hamilton only really properly overtook four cars to get to the podium (the rest were crashes/strategy).

Moose
Moose

ChrisDanger wrote:

Apparently Hamilton only really properly overtook four cars to get to the podium (the rest were crashes/strategy).
Hamilton was in P12 when he crossed the line after one lap. 3 of those ahead of him crashed in the first corner, that means he had overtaken 6 by the end of lap 1 alone.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

It could be wrong, but although only three crashed, many more were slowed, and these were obviously not counted amongst those 4 overtakes.

I was merely reinforcing the benefit the race's two big incidents had on the champs at the back.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:dont get me wrong, that doesnt take away verstappens bold moves, very much on the edge, but it simply makes me wonder why people go all out on that when its so easily forgotten that he is far from the first one to make these moves.
So if someone do something dangerous everything is ok if that´s not first time in F1? #-o

Anycase I think problem here is not the incident itself, but the path. Verstappen is proving to be a VERY aggressive driver. There have always been aggressive drivers in F1, but FIA usually put a limit to those drivers with some penalty or reprimand.

Not with Max, it looks like he can do whatever he want. As Villeneuve says, he´s being protected by FIA. Not a wise strategy with an agressive teenager if you ask me

Don´t get me wrong, I like aggressive drivers and I like Max, but I don´t like seeing how FIA punishes some drivers for much less while Max get away with anything he does. FIA´s agenda makes me sick
FIA is letting him to do whatever he wants and this is dangerous. A big accident will happen if he makes the same with a driver who is not as clean as Kimi is.

Max needs Maldonado to be back, Pastor teach him how to be aggressive. :mrgreen:

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:Actually, Lewis was in front up to turn 1.
He did a good start, but Alonso did a better one. Once again the Spaniard is much better doing this sort of starts.