2016 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 02-04 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2016 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 02-04 September

Description:

Monza is regarded by many as the embodiment of Formula One racing.

Not only is it a fantastic example of a track that combines speed with skill, it also has a heart and soul all of its own. It has seen some of the finest races of all time, but also some of the sport's worst accidents. The names of great drivers and the sounds of engines from years gone by linger in the grand old trees surrounding the track in the royal park.

Work began on the circuit in 1922 and was completed in under six months. After Brooklands in the UK and Indianapolis in the USA, it was the third permanent race track in existence. With a banked oval incorporated into the design of the road racing circuit, the total track length stood at a whopping 10 kilometres.

Formula One racing visited the circuit as part of the inaugural season in 1950, and it has remained a permanent fixture on the calendar ever since.

Over that time, Monza has borne witness to an incredible list of historic moments, famous victories and horrifying crashes. All combine to make it one of the most magical places on the Formula One calendar. For many there is nowhere that encapsulates the sport better than this circuit. The Italians call it 'La Pista Magica', the magic track, a description few would disagree with.

Track Map:

Times and Stats:

Tyre Allocation:

Qualifying Results:

Penalties.

Race Results:

2015 Pole Lap:

World Drivers' Championship Standings:

World Constructors' Championship Standings:

Last edited by ChrisDanger on 29 Aug 2016, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

Re: 2016 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, 02-04 September

Normal service to resume here between Lewis and Nico. As for the other teams, Ferrari will be quick. Force India will be quick and RedBull will be quick. Only a few hundredths will determine who gets pole here.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mattchu

I like how Merc, Ferarri and Williams have split their drivers on the Medium/Soft, i`d imagine one will do a long run for data on each, they can correlate it from there and still have a fresh set for the race depending on the data...At least i`m thinking this is a team ordered/reason thing and not just up to the drivers!

diego.liv

Force India thinking about 2 stops (2 SS and 1 S), but really testing the medium (1 stop, SS and M) if something happens early on? Safety car, VSC, red flag...they are struggling less then at the start of the championship with tyres

Ozan

gonna be an ez win for Hamilton

godlameroso

Pole lap will be a high 1:21. Race pace will be around 1:27 for the leaders at the start and fastest race lap will be around 1:24. Last year was an easy one stopper, with the SS tires this year maybe a two stopper. The pit lane is pretty short here so it could work.

The big question is which is the better race tire soft or medium?

Ideal strategy will probably be SS SS M or S , I don't think starting on the soft will work unless you fail to make q3 because less tire wear and smaller qualifying delta will force everyone's hand.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

godlameroso wrote: The pit lane is pretty short here so it could work.
Pitlane is short, but pitlane flyby speed is the highest of any track, so you're losing just as much.

Pierce89

I think Nico will win, with Hamilton stalking him the whole way but unable to pass.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

PlatinumZealot

Nico cracks under pressure anytime HAM in in tow. If history is anything to go by Ham will have no problem getting past at this track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Unc1eM0nty

Yeah he scared Rosberg into a mistake at turn one the year before last. Lewis loves it here, late breaking and fast apex's - it's his kind of track.

GPR-A duplicate2

godlameroso wrote:Pole lap will be a high 1:21. Race pace will be around 1:27 for the leaders at the start and fastest race lap will be around 1:24. Last year was an easy one stopper, with the SS tires this year maybe a two stopper. The pit lane is pretty short here so it could work.

The big question is which is the better race tire soft or medium?

Ideal strategy will probably be SS SS M or S , I don't think starting on the soft will work unless you fail to make q3 because less tire wear and smaller qualifying delta will force everyone's hand.
Last year in FP1, Lewis did a 1:24.670 on Mediums and the next best car of Vettel's Ferrari did 1:26.258 on Mediums too. The final pole lap was 1:23.383 on Softs and the next best car of Kimi was 1:23.631. Essentially, Lewis did a pole lap in FP1 itself (had he bolted the Softs, because difference between Medium and Softs was/is around 1.2 seconds) !!! Because Nico had an engine failure, they turned Lewis engine down.

Vasconia

Two of my favourite races in only 7 days!!! best way to keep the morale high after the end of the summer holidays.

What I expect to see:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel
4. Verstappen
5. Perez
6. Ricciardo
7. Bottas
8. Raikkonen
9. Massa
10. Hulkenberg.

What I would like to see:

1. Vettel
2. Rosberg
3. Raikkonen
4. Hulkenberg
5. Perez
6. Hamilton
7. Ricciardo
8. Sainz
9. Alonso
10. Massa(Alonso is slower than you). :mrgreen:

godlameroso

We can safely assume that McLaren has overtaken Williams and Toro Rosso. With very long straights, they'll be behind Force India, not so long straights more than likely they can beat them now.
Saishū kōnā

sosic2121

PlatinumZealot wrote:Nico cracks under pressure anytime HAM in in tow. If history is anything to go by Ham will have no problem getting past at this track.
True, but I don't think he will be able to pass unless Nico makes mistake. Again!