2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ChrisDanger

2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

Official Website: https://www.sepangcircuit.com/

Times and Stats:
Note: Race is 5 hours earlier than recent European races.

Track Map:

Tyre Allocation:

2015 Qualifying Results:

2015 Race Results:

2015 Pole Lap:

World Drivers' Championship Standings:

World Constructors' Championship Standings:

Content Credits: Title Picture, Stats & Schedule, Track Map, Tyre Allocation, Previous Results, Championship Tables: Drivers, Teams
Last edited by ChrisDanger on 20 Sep 2016, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.

turbof1

Re: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

Stickied
#AeroFrodo

AnthonyG

I think you confused qualy results with race results and vice versa.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

godlameroso

The hottest race of the year by far, ambient temperature will be in the mid 30's and track temperature can be higher than 50c. The track puts a lot of energy in the tires, particularly in sector two and the decreasing right in sector 3 right before the back straight puts a lot of load on the front left after all the torture from the rest of the lap. I'm predicting a two stop race in perfect conditions but an aggressive 3 stopper is also possible if the driver is in clean air for the most part. Passing is possible here, much more so than in Singapore. Hopefully the rain gets out of the way but who am I kidding, there's about as much chance of rain as there is chance that I go to the bathroom on any given day. I'm hoping for changing conditions in the race, for the driver's sake.

I hope this isn't like in Barcelona where the medium tire lasts longer than the hard.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

Most of the track has been resurfaced and last corner is now slightly off-camber. Track outright record 1:32.582 probably to be beaten if dry.

godlameroso

Have you seen the new version @ racedepartment? I don't know how accurate it is(the final turn is cambered in not off camber) but the fact that you can be aggressive with the inside curbs makes a huge difference. That and the added cambers in the road make it a bit more challenging in places. The transition between 5 & 6 is a bit more challenging than before as well as the final turn.
Saishū kōnā

ThumbsUp

Godlameroso posted this video a while ago, nice changes!

ChrisDanger

AnthonyG wrote:I think you confused qualy results with race results and vice versa.
Thanks. I named the files incorrectly. :roll: Will check more carefully next time.

AnthonyG

ChrisDanger wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:I think you confused qualy results with race results and vice versa.
Thanks. I named the files incorrectly. :roll: Will check more carefully next time.
It happens. I'm glad you put in the effort to make an elaborate opening post! ;)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

ChrisDanger

AnthonyG wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:
It happens. I'm glad you put in the effort to make an elaborate opening post! ;)
Thanks. I enjoy putting them together, and making some small contribution to the site. I sometimes work on them when I'm a bit tired though, hence mistakes get made. I appreciate the gratitude though.

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:Have you seen the new version @ racedepartment? I don't know how accurate it is(the final turn is cambered in not off camber) but the fact that you can be aggressive with the inside curbs makes a huge difference.
In the video pointed out by thumbs up (apparently originally from you) it says inside aka apex is raised 1m and that it is now off camber.

It seems most cornered are now more on/positive cambered, and only final turn has been made slower.

Fulcrum

This is one of my personal favourites. I imagine the hotter temperatures may bring Ferrari into play, at least making things slightly more competitive at the front.

Hamilton has finished ahead of Rosberg every year of their partnership at Mercedes; only one place ahead though.

2013 - Hamilton 3rd, Rosberg 4th
2014 - Hamilton 1st, Rosberg 2nd
2015 - Hamilton 2nd, Rosberg 3rd

Not much data, but a 1-2 for Mercedes with Hamilton leading home Rosberg would be the bookies favoured result. Mercedes haven't managed very many 1-2 finishes this year though. In some ways it would be nice to see Hamilton and Rosberg leading through T1; we haven't had much head-to-head racing between them since Spain.

Vasconia

One of my favourite Tilke tracks. The weather gives it another extra point. Are there serious chances to enjoy a wet race? is the first time in many years that the race will be in October so I dont know if the weather will be as unpredictable as it was in April.

It should be a good race for Lewis but we will see what happens. Last year Ferrari was very strong during the race. I doubt if they can be so fast now but the high temperatures and the last PU update should help them. RB will be in the the battle too.

Qualy:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel
4. Ricciardo
5. Verstappen
6. Kimi
7. Perez
8. Bottas
9. Hulkenberg
10. Alonso.

Race:

1. Vettel
2. Ricciardo
3. Rosberg
4. Verstappen
5. Hamilton
6. Perez
7. Alonso
8. Kimi.
9. Sainz
10. Bottas.

Tyre problems for both Mercedes so Ricciardo and Vettel fight for the victory while Nico manages to keep the tyres alive a Little bit longer.

If it rains:

1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Ricciardo
4. Verstappen
5. Rosberg
6. Alonso
7. Perez.
8. Sainz
9. Kimi.
10. Hulkenberg.

PhillipM

That's a bit of strange reasoning you have there when Lewis has been better on the tyres for about 2 years ;)

Vasconia

PhillipM wrote:That's a bit of strange reasoning you have there when Lewis has been better on the tyres for about 2 years ;)
I wouldnt say that he has been clearly better. I would say that being in front of Nico he has been able to manage well the tyres, much better than he used to do in the past.