2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

iotar__ wrote:Or perhaps they both didn't do a good job? Slower pace and lack of an overtake is a virtue these days? Fine by me, they can continue to be great like that. Add start for MV he lost to Vettel.
- The former (pace) had a bit to do with tyres and strategy.
- as for an overtake attempt MV was enough ahead/along but didn't carry enough speed during left outside (hesitation) and left right switch (+carrying the speed outside), speculation but it looked doable for a better driver (I would say that)
Yes, both did a good job. But It was interesting to watch how good was Ricciardo´s defense while Max was with newer tyres, If I am not wrong.

And I am happy to see that (apparently) RB did not use team orders. I could imagine how angry Ricciardo would be if he woud have been forced to let pass Max, just a few laps before the blown-up of Hamilton´s engine.

Phil

Manoah2u wrote:Is it the result of pushing too much? who knows, it must be said that surprisingly, Mercedes was under a lot more pressure this time from RB then i ever imagined. They might have gambled too high in fending off RB. perhaps, very much perhaps, if they kept to their own game, then lewis car would have remained intact and he would have either won this race or in worst case scenario he ended up 2nd.
The problem is, is that RedBull were very cunning and split their strategies. They do as a team what Mercedes themselves wouldn't. Where Mercedes attempts to create equality between its drivers, RedBull was willing to sacrifice Ricciardo's race by putting Max on an alternate strategy that nearly worked. When the virtual safety car came out, they effectively moved up Max by at least 7 seconds (the 7+ seconds he saved by pitting under the VSC). This gave him theoretical track position, as it meant that the planned "1 stoppers" (being Hamilton and Ricciardo ahead) needed to extend a gap they couldn't because Max behind was on fresher tires and quicker.

Mercedes (and RedBull) along the way probably realized that a 1-stop was too ambitious and that 1-stop became a 2 stop, but offset vs. Max. That would mean Max had gained the time saved during his stop under VSC. This would have at least put Max in front of Dan eventually. Hamilton meanwhile had the pace to pull out a gap and the plan was to eek out as much of that as possible to be able to pit him and come out either in front of Max (who's tires will be nearing the end of its life towards the end of the race) or slightly behind and then overtake for the win. That of course didn't work out, given Hamiltons engine blew and that created again another VSC period that prompted RedBull to pit both cars again, giving it a fair battle for both Dan and Max to the end.

As for what strain Hamilton put his engine under; While he was clearly racing hard, I can't believe he was racing harder than Rosberg who had ground to make up and was more often than not racing in dirty/warmer air vs. Hamilton at the front in clean undisturbed air. He just seemed to be unlucky.

One thing I do question though; the 3 engines Hamilton took in Belgium; Were they not of a newer spec than the engines he raced before throughout the season? If I recall correctly, Mercedes used some tokens during the summer break for new the engine in Spa. Fair to say, both Rosberg and Hamilton have been each racing that engine spec without problems in Spa at least. So I conclude that he was just unlucky.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Gothrek

Manoah2u wrote: you're blind as a bat, you can take a look inside the onboard of verstappen, you can see him literally evade vettel and there is ZERO touching. it was also commented by the SKY reporters that investigation of the FIA showed that there was NO touching between VET and VES.

go hate the kid all you want, he'll be enjoying his millions and millions of dollars in his tax-free Monaco mansion enjoying supermodel GF's and coming home 2nd without touching any ferrari or merc - or any other car for that matter.
Now that I have been able to watch the onboard of MV, I stand corrected, they didn't touch.
It wasn't available when I typed my posts, all I had was Vettel onboard and the low quality shots from above, which made it seem they touched. At least from my point of view.

F1NAC

DUnno if anyone posted.

No contact between VES and VET, VET rammed ROS and that's it.
https://twitter.com/MrAlexF1/status/782512082319278080

leo777

lets see how long this post stays up...
sry moderator for speaking my mind...SRY!

turbof1

leo777 wrote:https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PuQTtw_nLoA/maxresdefault.jpg
lets see how long this post stays up...
sry moderator for speaking my mind...SRY!
There you go, fixed that for you (including the link).

I respect every reasonable argument. But if we are going to dive into outrageous theories based on one man's expression, I have to step in. Not to withold the theory, but to protect yourself from a lot of mocking. Now please stop insisting on it.
#AeroFrodo

turbof1

F1NAC wrote:DUnno if anyone posted.

No contact between VES and VET, VET rammed ROS and that's it.

https://twitter.com/MrAlexF1/status/782512082319278080
Whether you are fan or hater of Verstappen, you have to respect his reaction speed and precision there. He even pulled off his first evasion move while locking his front right.
#AeroFrodo

TwanV

Amazing that you have to put up with this turbof1.. Thanks for keeping this forum in good shape, its probably not easy.

Kiril Varbanov

Alonso - gaining places like mad on the opening lap - http://f1.channel4.com/video/alonso-amazing-moves/
It's like a game with Damage mode OFF

search

Gatecrasher wrote:
nevill3 wrote:Sainz was able to start his own car on the grid after it switched itself off when the drivers were forming up. Very quick thinking on his part.
Unless he bump started it I did not think this was possible. Used KERS to start ICE ?
yep, he did, used the MGU-K. I was surprised he managed to do that so quickly though, when Magnussen did it during free practice (in Spa?) a couple of weeks ago, it took him ages to find all the right buttons

3jawchuck

Is it me, or did the driver of the day vote get decided really early?
I tried to vote a couple of hours after the race and it said Verstappen was the one voted for.

ChrisDanger

3jawchuck wrote:Is it me, or did the driver of the day vote get decided really early?
I tried to vote a couple of hours after the race and it said Verstappen was the one voted for.
They're running them earlier now, for the last race or two I think.

Vasconia

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Alonso - gaining places like mad on the opening lap - http://f1.channel4.com/video/alonso-amazing-moves/
Wow, I must admit that he is masterful on the opening laps.

SectorOne

Vasconia wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Alonso - gaining places like mad on the opening lap - http://f1.channel4.com/video/alonso-amazing-moves/
Wow, I must admit that he is masterful on the opening laps.
He is mighty on the opening laps. Some of my best memories of him was from Ferrari when he used to start like 10th and by the end of the first lap he´s running in third and you´re like what the hell just happened here?

He´s a crafty little bugger that´s for sure.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Nathanael F1

I just watched Alonso's onboard of the first lap and I have to say that was incredible. Even after the first corner chaos he was still passing cars left and right.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg