2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jester Maroc

Re: 2016 United States Grand Prix - COTA, 21-23 October

Alonso is "over the hill"? LOL, that is soo funny! For those who believe this, please read this: http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37704633

I agree his overtake on Massa was not clean, but his move on Sainz was fine (no track limits).
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Big Mangalhit

Over the hill only means he is past his peak, which probably is truth. I still think he is one of the best pilots if not the best. Those seasons at Ferrari really showed unparalleled talent.
But still I think at his age he is in decline, although a seemingly very slow and flat decline.

I do wonder what would happen if McLaren gets a podium car next year, he is notorious to fight for titles in slower cars

Vasconia

Jester Maroc wrote:Alonso is "over the hill"? LOL, that is soo funny! For those who believe this, please read this: http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37704633

I agree his overtake on Massa was not clean, but his move on Sainz was fine (no track limits).
Its a matter of time. With 36 Michael Schumacher was still fast but he started to have more "not so good" days.

Andres125sx

iotar__ wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Grande Grande Alonso !!!
Wait for the penalty. Alonso-Massa = that was much worse than Rosberg - Verstappen (Ger), much worse than complete BS Rosb-Raikk (Mal). Should be a bigger penalty, let's see FIA in action again. Still not as bad as Hamilton Spain.
It is so funny to read people repeating things wich never happened in an attempt to convice theirselves... :mrgreen: :lol:

wesley123

iotar__ wrote:I missed that, Verstappen's pitstop: "It is something totally unusual," said team boss Christian Horner. "He just arrived in the pitlane and said 'I am in the pitlane'. :)

Slow in Q, lost position at the start, dead slow in the first stint, didn't do anything on quicker tyres in 2nd, wasted softs, went for an unscheduled pitstop to stick a fork in this race so in 4 words:
DRIVER OF THE DAY
or: "A transmission failure may have halted his progress midway through the Austin race, but his charging drive up until that point was enough to earn him your nod for the third round in a row." :wtf:

Is Red Bull buying those votes or are F1 fans mostly brain-dead reddit type people?
The drooling over Max Verstappen is really, really bad in the Netherlands. He gets hyped like some sort of superstar and any mistake he makes is excused by telling other drivers could do something different. Even if he would hit every driver in the face they would probably say "well, the drivers could have blocked them"
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Andres125sx

iotar__ wrote: At least Whiting and co are admitting they manipulated WDC several times in Hamilton's favour.
Please stop smoking whatever you´re smoking, that´s not reality, only your imagination #-o

Andres125sx

iotar__ wrote:Complete hypocrite Alonso deserves his every second at McLaren and every whiny, childish radio message. This corrupted pseudo sport reached its new low.
Haters... :roll: :lol:

Andres125sx

Kiril Varbanov wrote:That was a nice race, with some good wheel to wheel battles. Alonso is clearly my Driver of the day, however f1.com handed it to a driver who retired. I guess they haven't quite figured how Internet works.

https://twitter.com/Kiril_Varbanov/stat ... 3179082752

Nevertheless, the season is over. I hope for some two or three battles until the end.
It is amazing how FIA is trying to hype Vestappen like crazy.... Verstappen driver of the day after ignoring his team comunications, ruining his own tires, and entering pit-lane without preventing his own team???

When FIA don´t even bother to hide their agenda...

ME4ME

How many times we seen Hamilton ignore team advice to keep a gap, and instead attack and overtake his opponent. Verstappen showed the exact same attitude. Outcome was different, but that will hopefully change once RB decreases the gap to Mercedes.

Andres125sx

About Alonso move on Massa..... well, it was tough, sure, but how did you expect McHonda to overtake Williams?

A DRS pass is out of question, period, so he was forced to do that sort of move on some slow part of the track. Massa went a bit wide after Sainz went wide, and Alonso took the only chance he had.

That´s racing by any standard. What the hell are you complaining about?

The concept "close the door" exist for a reason, if you let a driver like Alonso an open door, he´ll take it! Is that a surprise for some of you? :roll: :lol:

Andres125sx

ME4ME wrote:How many times we seen Hamilton ignore team advice to keep a gap, and instead attack and overtake his opponent. Verstappen showed the exact same attitude. Outcome was different, but that will hopefully change once RB decreases the gap to Mercedes.
Maybe experience is playing a role here. Someone with a decade experience in F1 can´t be compared with a teenager on his second season I think

Or you really think experience is irrelevant when it comes to strategic decisions?

ME4ME

Andres125sx wrote:Maybe experience is playing a role here. Someone with a decade experience in F1 can´t be compared with a teenager on his second season I think

Or you really think experience is irrelevant when it comes to strategic decisions?
Well sir go ahead and explain. I am talking about attitude.

GPR-A duplicate2

ME4ME wrote:How many times we seen Hamilton ignore team advice to keep a gap, and instead attack and overtake his opponent. Verstappen showed the exact same attitude. Outcome was different, but that will hopefully change once RB decreases the gap to Mercedes.
Max has definitely polarized the F1 viewers. He has brought raw racing skills, bundled with raw aggression at an age where most kids would still be learning to hold steering. While some like to follow him for his racing skills, the others hate him for his raw aggression. At times he has performed at a level that of highly experienced drivers in races like Barcelona, Canada, Britain, Malaysia and Japan and at times he has been just at the level of his age in races like Monaco. His blocking in Hungary, Spa and Japan have been questionable, but he has explored areas that were just holy grails without any legal bounds.

From Red Bull's perspective, he has given them what they badly needed, the focus and attention back with his performances like mentioned above, that Kvyat couldn't have given them. From FIA/FOM's perspective, they have a driver who is attracting new audiences and heightening the viewer ship in many a countries, including from his own. While some of the current issues are due to inexperience, which would obviously iron out over time, without even being taught, but he is too good at the moment to be ignored for both of these entities.

Have we not seen how many times people sitting on the Pit wall and in strategy rooms make blunders, that are far bigger in nature than what Max did in COTA? Like ME4ME mentioned, how many times we have seen drivers ignoring the team's messages. "Multi21" for example. Why then only blame Max for losing it once in a while? I am sure Red Bull would want him to make all the errors now, rather than when they start to fight for the championship at a later season. They have nothing to lose and with the kind of commercial value they are milking, they would definitely be happy to have him the way he is.

On one hand people are bored to death with the kind of racing that F1 has become and when there is someone breaking certain unwritten rules and providing aggressive entertainment, they can't handle that either. Strange dilemma.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 25 Oct 2016, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

ClarkBT11

Edax wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:
Alonso was driving out of the track limits a lot, then he overtakes Sainz off track limits... Yes Alonso drove with passion but not within the rules.

Yee haaa! Alonso summed it up.. Overtook like a cowboy :lol:
So..... what do we want to see: passion or rules?
Passion within the rules. Is that too much to ask,? If a lot of money is involved.... Yes

iotar__

"Kvyat wants rules clarity after Perez clash" #-o http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... erez-clash
- See what you've done? "Clarity" - popular gimmick word. I knew that nonsense clarification would be used like that.
- Red Bull have no shame and don't mind drawing attention to the lowest quality racing. You see it's not that our program produces drivers with no basic craft that crash into others, it's "lack of clarity" that is to blame.