2016 Grand Prix of Brazil - Interlagos, 11-13 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Brazil - Interlagos, 11-13 November

Jolle wrote:Pirelli already made a statement about that, tire wear wasn't a limiting factor what so ever, due to the excessive rain. Also, he wasn't on brand new tires on the end, they used the ones from the start/first stint.
Have you got a link to that statement? It's an interesting piece of the puzzle given so many teams took the opportunity to change tyres whenever they could and it would seem that Red Bull thought there was sufficient reason to change from the set of new Wet tyres that they put to for the 20-28 lap stint, to an older set. Obviously, drivers complaining about it is one thing but it seems odd for the teams to get it so wrong.

I've checked the Pirelli press releases and infographics and website but I've not had much luck.

Edit: I've found something on GPUpdate...

Asked by GPUpdate.net how much Verstappen gained in performance as a result, a Pirelli spokesperson explained: "Undoubtedly being on fresher tyres gave him a positive gap.

"It's impossible to calculate it on a mathematical basis, as conditions were changing nearly lap-by-lap, and some of them were favourable on a higher tread, some on a lower one.

"What I can say is that no wet tyre showed critical wear during the race."

But I don't think is the relevant one as it clearly states that being on fresher tyres gave him an advantage.