2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ClarkBT11

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

dans79 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Any takers on pole time?

I'm guessing a 1:39.5 ish.
Conservative estimate, given the ultra soft tire available. But we did have kind of an underwhelming pole laptimes lately, especially compared to the massive improvements in the early part of the season. It seems the ultimate pace has cooled off a bit, whatever the reasons might be.
teams switching to 2017 testing mode.
When Pirreli put the minimum tyre pressures up, didn't that affect the pole times?

godlameroso

If it did, it seems like it made them faster if anything.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

It might, however it also might cause them to wear out (much) faster, and then setting a time becomes much more critical to do so perfectly, in other words; you'll only get 1 chance on the tires, and that means any other driver on the road, or the tiniest mistake might cost you dearly as you won't have the ability to try another run because of the tire wear.

ps, this is an assumption.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ClarkBT11

godlameroso wrote:If it did, it seems like it made them faster if anything.
If it made them faster why do teams want to have the lowest setting of pressure . The teams would have more than minimum pressure in the tyres at every race if it made them faster....

Phil

WaikeCU wrote:I guess there's two different races Lewis can drive:
1) Do his best as he can and hope Nico doesn't end up on the podium
or
2) Win as slow as he can

Option 1: To do his best as possible and totally dominate the race, but then you have to hope Nico somehow doesn't end up on the podium.

Option 2: Drive slower in front to bunch Nico into the cars behind and hope Red Bulls or Ferrari's can attempt an overtake. Sort of taking Nico out of the comfort zone. When Nico is put under pressure, then he'll maybe make a mistake.
I'd expect Mercedes to cover this off pre-race with a talk in a window-less backroom to make sure no dirty tricks will be played to influence the championship. I would.

Besides, if you did that, then I'd expect all gloves to be off and Rosberg (and his side of the garage) to play dirty too and attempt to undercut him for a lead. So... expect a boring race.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Juzh

ClarkBT11 wrote:
If it made them faster why do teams want to have the lowest setting of pressure . The teams would have more than minimum pressure in the tyres at every race if it made them faster....
Gotta agree with Clark here.

Manoah2u

ClarkBT11 wrote:
read my assumption above.
also, lower tyre pressure equals lower ride height.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ClarkBT11

Manoah2u wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:
read my assumption above.
also, lower tyre pressure equals lower ride height.
The teams can't generate the heat in the tyres when they're pumped up like balloons. Some take two out laps before going for a quick lap. If they get screwed by traffic on that lap or make a mistake they've missed the window for the maximum lap time/grip out of those specific tyres.

godlameroso

I'm not saying it's exactly the case but it is curious that despite hard as rock tires qualifying records were being smashed left and right until it petered out later on in the year.

Like I said it could be the step softer compounds, or that teams improved a lot from the start to the end of 2016 magnifying the difference. Perhaps the difference from end of 2015 to now isn't that great, mostly to do with engine and chassis performance and not so much huge aero developments.
Saishū kōnā

TAG

Anybody know the weather forecast? 8)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

PlatinumZealot

Hope it rains. Heck the chance of rain might as well be the same chance of Hamilton winning and Rosberg coming 4th.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

I said in the Brazil thread, probably dry as a bone, of course only if that wasn't a rhetorical question. If it was then carry on, I know I'm lame.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Although AD has sprinklers, random rain?
Saishū kōnā

The_table

Rosberg's engine blowing up would be quite entertaining....

dans79

The_table wrote:Rosberg's engine blowing up would be quite entertaining....
I would love to see that, as it would be poetic justice considering Malaysia. I think I'd enjoy reading the irate ramblings of the anti-Hamilton brigade here more than Lewis actually winning.
197 104 103 7