2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Yas Marina, 25-27 November

Just_a_fan wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:[

This is F1, stats means almost nothing.
This might be the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum. :wtf: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then you need more reading :mrgreen: :lol:

This is not tennis where only your preparation and talent counts, this is F1 and there´s a load more parameters wich play a huge role to reach success or not, so no, statics in F1 only tell a small part of what really happened

Obviously stats are still important for any driver, but light years behind what they mean at any other sport. In tennis the player leading ATP ranking really is the best in the world, as on most sports, and that must be the reason many people think WDC in F1 also means he´s the best driver in the world, when he´s not. THEY are the best team, including engineers, strategists, etc

The driver is only a small part of a team with hundreds people working on his car. I know we fans tend to ignore their work, but as stated by several drivers, drivers are responsible of barely a 20% of the team perfomance wich means making a relationship titles=driver greatness can only fit into fanboys minds

Andres125sx

GPR-A wrote:Someone like Alonso's greatness as the best driver on the grid of this generation, would pale away over the next decade. Some time later, he would be remembered as a driver who won 2 Championships. Nothing more, nothing less. On the same breath, history would remember Vettel as a four time champion.
Who´s history? :mrgreen:

I don´t remember Giles as an average driver who didn´t manage to win a title despite driving a Ferrari

I don´t remember Jaques Villeneuve as a great driver because he won a title

I don´t remember Michael Schumacher as the best of all time because he owns the title record

And so on...

Surely casual fans will make such relationships, but I´d like to think people who really follow F1 know better than that

GPR-A duplicate2

Andres125sx wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Someone like Alonso's greatness as the best driver on the grid of this generation, would pale away over the next decade. Some time later, he would be remembered as a driver who won 2 Championships. Nothing more, nothing less. On the same breath, history would remember Vettel as a four time champion.
Who´s history? :mrgreen:

I don´t remember Giles as an average driver who didn´t manage to win a title despite driving a Ferrari

I don´t remember Jaques Villeneuve as a great driver because he won a title

I don´t remember Michael Schumacher as the best of all time because he owns the title record

And so on...

Surely casual fans will make such relationships, but I´d like to think people who really follow F1 know better than that
You are entitled to have your own opinion and perspective of things and world will have it's own. What I mentioned is what I think it is.

RedNEO

Andres125sx wrote:
TAG wrote:Turned out swell, did you miss the part where he's the 2nd most winning F1 driver of all time, or the part where he's the only F1 driver to achieve double digit victories for 3 years in a row? No other driver has more than one... he's got 3. Then there's being >< close to getting the record for most poles in history, and he increased his podium percentage to over 55%. Imagine that, 55% of his races he's on the podium. Alonso is going to have to stay in F1 until he's got a beard like Santa to match those numbers. So I'm content if not ecstatic.
It´s funny to see Lewis fans looking for a relief digging into stats :lol:

This is F1, stats means almost nothing. Or you think Jaques Villeneuve was a better driver than his father Giles because he´s a world champ while his father wasn´t? :roll: :lol:
+10

TAG

A little taste of what it feels like; despite coming in 2nd. Abu Dhabi was indeed a masterful performance.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Vasconia

First 3 years Jacques was a fine driver but he took bad decisiones and his motivation went down.

Memories about Gilles are still alive thanks to some videos and old fans but the impression/opinión of many current fans can be distorted/biased by time.

And about the best driver of all time, its an endless discussion, who is better? Fangio, Prost, Senna, Schumacher. Each one has his favourite but I can´t compare them properly.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:And about the best driver of all time, its an endless discussion, who is better? Fangio, Prost, Senna, Schumacher. Each one has his favourite but I can´t compare them properly.
I'm pretty certain that no one on this forum saw Fangio drive. Hell, I'm pretty sure that half the membership didn't see Senna or Prost drive. So in the end what we're left with is statistics that show a driver's carreer, by the numbers. Twenty years from now, they'll be another Vasconia character on a forum saying the same thing "Fangio, Prost, Senna, Schumacher" but they'll also include Hamilton and Vettel.

No amount of shade the NEOphites can throw will eclipse that.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
Vasconia wrote:And about the best driver of all time, its an endless discussion, who is better? Fangio, Prost, Senna, Schumacher. Each one has his favourite but I can´t compare them properly.
I'm pretty certain that no one on this forum saw Fangio drive. Hell, I'm pretty sure that half the membership didn't see Senna or Prost drive. So in the end what we're left with is statistics that show a driver's carreer, by the numbers. Twenty years from now, they'll be another Vasconia character on a forum saying the same thing "Fangio, Prost, Senna, Schumacher" but they'll also include Hamilton and Vettel.

No amount of shade the NEOphites can throw will eclipse that.
Exactly, I personally didnt see Senna and Prost though I have watched several races. Its obvious that my personal point of view is incomplete in comparison to the ones who followed F1 back in the 80s. I guess also that there is a decent amount of people here who didnt see either Michael Schumacher during his first years.

I only know that some people who saw Fangio still maintain that he is the best in F1 history.

santos

I belive you all remember Sir Stirling Moss as one of the greatest drivers, although he never won the title.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:I only know that some people who saw Fangio still maintain that he is the best in F1 history.
The world was always better back then when you ask an old timer.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Wynters

iotar__ wrote:- "No realistic chance for Vettel to pass" A. Tell that to Hamilton. B. Not obvious C. Depends on what you consider realistic, see above. Realistic = Hamilton was capable of doing infinite amount of dumb things after slowing down pseudo tactic display.
I suspect Hamilton would have grabbed at any chance, realistic or no. But I'm interested that you think Rosberg is such a terrible driver that Vettel would've been able to pass him.

Hamilton couldn't go any slower in the overtaking places as then Rosberg would've overtaken him (unless you are implying that Rosberg couldn't overtake a near stationary Hamilton). In those overtaking places Rosberg had tow and DRS from Hamilton (unless you are implying that neither of those would be sufficient to keep a Ferrari behind a Merc). Hamilton was going so slowly there were joggers overtaking him but, even then, Vettel wasn't showing anywhere near the speed differential required and the Red Bulls couldn't even keep up. I know it's all the rage to say Rosberg is useless, but to say that, despite all these advantages, Vettel was realistically going to overtake Rosberg in the couple of laps he had before the end...well, you are taking the mistaken ideas that Rosberg is a bad driver to new extremes.

You can bang on about what dumb things Hamilton 'might' have done (except, as he didn't do any of them, it makes for a very poor point) and you can bang on about conspiracy theories (except, as Hamilton didn't win the WDC, it also makes for a very poor point) and you can even bang on about how terribly Verstappen drove and how terrible his strategy was (except for the bit where he beat his team mate who didn't find himself facing backwards at any point during the race) but, sadly, none of it makes any actual sense. Even when repeated ad nauseam.

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
Vasconia wrote:I only know that some people who saw Fangio still maintain that he is the best in F1 history.
But this doesn´t imply that they are wrong.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
TAG wrote:
But this doesn´t imply that they are wrong.
Agreed, it's just perspective. Maybe the world is always right, just different. It doesn't also imply that today's youth is wrong but man oh man do I hear a lot of complaining about how kids today have it easy, they're entitled and everything is handed to them. So it goes both ways.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

basti313

Another very nice team radio:

44 To Carlos Sainz Jnr Any car damage?
44 From Carlos Sainz Jnr This Palmer is an idiot, no?
44 To Carlos Sainz Jnr Yeah he got a front lock and bumped into your ass. Never mind, he just boxed and now he is behind.
44 From Carlos Sainz Jnr Yeah I have missed shifts. Yeah gearbox not working.
44 To Carlos Sainz Jnr Stay out for the moment if you can, watch [unclear] coming from behind.
44 From Carlos Sainz Jnr Yeah my gearbox is not working I have to retire.
44 To Carlos Sainz Jnr Copy.
44 From Carlos Sainz Jnr I will probably get home.
44 To Carlos Sainz Jnr Sorry for that Carlos. By the way this fight, the result, it was a pleasure for me this year to share everything with you.
44 From Carlos Sainz Jnr Yeah it was coming a good race I think but there’s some stupid people there like Grosjean and Palmer, they just make things more complicated. But anyway good job this year. Thank you.
44 To Carlos Sainz Jnr Thank you as well mate.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Fifty

Hey TAG...

I saw what you did there. So Don't think it got los in the nut swinging . I got a chuckle out of it.... LOl!!!