2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sosic2121

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

And what about Perez and Ocon?

Somehow I don't feel sorry for perez 😬

matt_b

GPR-A wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:25
What kind of ridiculous luck is Ric carrying? His team mate is doing all the right work to then face bad luck in race. Whereas Ric is poor throughout the weekend except for those lucky moments. I can't recall another driver who was that lucky in one season.
Whats bizarre is that all his wins have come when Lewis has had problems, Canada 14 (Break failure), Hungary 14 (engine failure in qualifying), Spa 14 (Puncture from Nico), Sepang 16 (Engine failure), Baku 17 (Headrest failure).

ringo

Did hamilton have to stop to change the headrest?
What prevented him from continuing the race?
I believe he should have continued.. not sure which regulation would be used to penalize him, and even if he received a penalty he would have got a better result.

also i find it strange how the fia waited till lewis came in to balance off his loss with vettel's penalty. Vettel should have been penalized right as the incident happened; but for some reason the stewards were mulling it over.
For Sure!!

sosic2121

matt_b wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:43
What kind of ridiculous luck is Ric carrying? His team mate is doing all the right work to then face bad luck in race. Whereas Ric is poor throughout the weekend except for those lucky moments. I can't recall another driver who was that lucky in one season.
Whats bizarre is that all his wins have come when Lewis has had problems, Canada 14 (Break failure), Hungary 14 (engine failure in qualifying), Spa 14 (Puncture from Nico), Sepang 16 (Engine failure), Baku 17 (Headrest failure).
And what's even more bizarre is that the other merc driver also had some problems in every one of those races :shock:

i70q7m7ghw

ringo wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:45
Did hamilton have to stop to change the headrest?
What prevented him from continuing the race?
I believe he should have continued.. not sure which regulation would be used to penalize him, and even if he received a penalty he would have got a better result.

also i find it strange how the fia waited till lewis came in to balance off his loss with vettel's penalty. Vettel should have been penalized right as the incident happened; but for some reason the stewards were mulling it over.

I think he could have continued but would have received a Black/Orange flag. The team had an instruction from the FIA.

Personally, I think he should have continued until they gave him the black/orange flag. The whole thing felt orchestrated, HAM/VET coming out on the same piece of track, the use of the SC to control the race and bring some "show business".

The FIA need to be investigated for their conduct at Baku, if there is any evidence to suggest they used the safety car to create a better "show" then those responsible need to be removed.

It's a safety car, and it's there to keep drivers safe. I didn't feel like drivers were safe today.

Mandrake

sosic2121 wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:48
And what's even more bizarre is that the other merc driver also had some problems in every one of those races :shock:
Incredibly bizarre that if your car is too slow to win on merrit, you have to profit from other's failures ;-)

justmoi

dans79 wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:11
justmoi wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:08
Juzh wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 16:52
Putting all the drama aside, merc's straight line speed advantage over ferrari is ridiculous.
Which is why Lewis couldn't get past on Baku straight of all places and Seb was closing in on Bottas right. Do you randomly just make all this stuff up?

Must be
Lewis was gaining several tenths (like 6 or 7) on the strait, but then loosing it at the end of sector 1 and the beginning of sector 2.
NO he never gained even 6 tenths. He was even struggling to get the tow. When did Lewis get close to Vettel on the straight to lose it in the corners. He had drs. That got him closer on occasion but obviously as we have seen never enough.

Seb at times was setting fastest laps without the tow or drs so he wasn't slow on the longest straights in F1. He also past Mercedes poewered cars. To say the gap in straight line speed is ridiculous, that is ridiculous

iotar__

- :lol: at Mercedes and Ferrari for losing a race like that. As predicted: mess of a season.

- Vettel: stupidity award winner for giving himself a penalty by bumping a car on purpose and causing a collision under SC
- Hamilton: pure racer award winner for brake testing and "Guys, if Valterri can't catch the man ahead, tell him to slow
down a bit to cause a bad wake". Why didn't he get a penalty?

- Force India deserved this for pampering Ocon last race. He showed at last his brilliant overtaking skills costing Perez a win. Apart from Massa and Bottas just about on merit :o .

- The rest was silly randomness. Plus high quality driving from Raikkonen. Why is he still in F1 and how the hell did he not get a penalty for that?

justmoi

The bad luck i guess is he is getting all this luck when he is not fighting for the title

dans79

25 Jun 2017, 18:51
NO he never gained even 6 tenths. He was even struggling to get the tow. When did Lewis get close to Vettel on the straight to lose it in the corners. He had drs. That got him closer on occasion but obviously as we have seen never enough.

Seb at times was setting fastest laps without the tow or drs so he wasn't slow on the longest straights in F1. He also past Mercedes poewered cars. To say the gap in straight line speed is ridiculous, that is ridiculous
If you don't believe me, go back and re-play the last 10. Here in the states they showed that Lewis would enter the last turn from 1.2 to 1.6 seconds back and then pull it down to .5 to .8 before turn 1.
197 104 103 7

seventhsin

Diesel wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:50
The FIA need to be investigated for their conduct at Baku, if there is any evidence to suggest they used the safety car to create a better "show" then those responsible need to be removed.
Who decides or instigates this to happen? World Motorsport Council? Does the FIA have a designated independent third party that could be trusted to investigate claims of 'race fixing'?

Who investigated Flavio Briatore for his wrongdoings at Renault?
iotar__ wrote: Plus high quality driving from Raikkonen. Why is he still in F1 and how the hell did he not get a penalty for that?
What should Kimi have got a penalty for? Contact with Bottas?
Last edited by seventhsin on 25 Jun 2017, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

matt_b

Mandrake wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:51
sosic2121 wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:48

Incredibly bizarre that if your car is too slow to win on merrit, you have to profit from other's failures ;-)
Unbelievable, surely it wont happen again for the 6th time, the odds are crazy.

i70q7m7ghw

seventhsin wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 19:01
25 Jun 2017, 18:50
Who decides or instigates this to happen? World Motorsport Council? Does the FIA have a designated independent third party that could be trusted to investigate claims of 'race fixing'?

Who investigated Flavio Briatore for his wrongdoings at Renault?

Iotar What should Kimi have got a penalty for? Contact with Bottas?
I don't know, but it would certainly have to go to an independent body.

giantfan10

dans79 wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 18:11
25 Jun 2017, 18:08
Juzh wrote: ↑
25 Jun 2017, 16:52
Putting all the drama aside, merc's straight line speed advantage over ferrari is ridiculous.
Which is why Lewis couldn't get past on Baku straight of all places and Seb was closing in on Bottas right. Do you randomly just make all this stuff up?

Must be
Lewis was gaining several tenths (like 6 or 7) on the strait, but then loosing it at the end of sector 1 and the beginning of sector 2.
All against a first generation Ferrari 2017 engine.
the same old used up engine set fastest lap and clawed back a huge gap that Bottas had to vettel ,mind you Bottas was pushing trying to catch stroll.With an engine upgraded for this race,
Explain that away.
The Ferrari was just faster around Baku than Mercedes at that point in the race.

Spoutnik

25 Jun 2017, 18:30
He did pull off some decent overtakes during the race to put himself in a position to ultimately inherit the victory, which admittedly was purely by chance. Max has been very unlucky this season with reliability.

The whole race was a bit of a farce, a win is a win, but I don't really feel like Riciardo or Stroll achieved anything other than being behind cars that had to pit for safety or penalties.
The question is what was the pace of Ricciardo compared to Vettel, Hamilton and Bottas. I can't find the lap times guys ? Because to be honest I have the feeling that RB were better on long run than Ferrari and maybe Bottas.