2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Silent Storm

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

I found this hilarious and it's been said that maybe Kimi is not motivated to race anymore but he was excited to go out and race even when he knew he would finish dead last. https://twitter.com/miezicat1/status/879011217469313025
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

Schuttelberg

Jolle wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 21:57
Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 21:53
I know how incorrect Sebastian was but I couldn't help but allow myself a chuckle when Lewis said 'kids in lower categories.. bla bla'
VET lost at least any right to criticise VER in the near future when he makes some brisk moves ;-)
Ummmm, excuse me?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

TAG

Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 20:33
Well, he punted Kimi out. He's done that twice now.. I don't know! I felt he deserved a penalty.
He hit the curb himself because there was not space, after he hit the curb he was a passenger, Kimi could have given Bottas more room as well, so that's why these things are racing incidents, best left at that. Let's focus on the real issue, a driver using his car as an intentional battering ram... last time we saw that was Maldonado if I recall. Not very sporting for a 4 time WDC.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 21:53
I know how incorrect Sebastian was but I couldn't help but allow myself a chuckle when Lewis said 'kids in lower categories.. bla bla'
They learned how to curse out Charlie Whitting last year, proudest moment of his entire season.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

F1NAC

One serious question. What the F were they doing with Raikkonen clearly lap down. Why not preserve engine or so.

dans79

giantfan10 wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 20:03
All against a first generation Ferrari 2017 engine.
the same old used up engine set fastest lap and clawed back a huge gap that Bottas had to vettel ,mind you Bottas was pushing trying to catch stroll.With an engine upgraded for this race,
Explain that away.
The Ferrari was just faster around Baku than Mercedes at that point in the race.
Please show me where i said The Ferrari was slower. I said Lewis gained on the strait and lost it all again at the end of sector 1 and the beginning of sector 2.
197 104 103 7

godlameroso

This was a good race, especially for Baku, such a tense action packed, chaotic race, with overtakes, drama, luck, gambling and winning, gambling and losing. It was definitely a show today, and the crowd was pretty cool as well. I don't hate saying 'Well Done Baku!'
Saishū kōnā

CLKGTR

Vettel 'almost disqualified' for hitting Hamilton

https://maxf1.net/en/vettel-almost-disq ... -hamilton/

If we remember some situations like Canada 2005 where Montoya was disqualified for exiting the pitlane under red lights, did Vettel escaped with mild punishment considering that he deliberately hit another driver?

drunkf1fan

CLKGTR wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 23:47

If we remember some situations like Canada 2005 where Montoya was disqualified for exiting the pitlane under red lights, did Vettel escaped with mild punishment considering that he deliberately hit another driver?
No question, ultimately he also was at fault for the first contact, no one else had trouble, no one else expected Ham to blast out of the corner in this situation, only Vettel. He hit someone through poor driving then blamed the other guy and in rage hit him again. I think a black flag for the deliberate hit for sure, but considering he caused damage which to me seemed to hurt his pace at the end, the first contact should have contributed to the penalty as well. Collision under safety car is a no no, not just a racing incident and Hamilton wasn't driving erratically in any way at all.

If it wasn't a Ferrari driver crashing into someone under safety car I think almost anyone else would have been punished for that alone. They also only seemingly felt comfortable going with a severe penalty once they knew Hamilton had to pit... or when they realised they had an excuse to force him to pit as well.

I notice they had no problem with Kimi driving with bits hanging off the car, bits that when they fell off resulted in a safety car and potentially damage to other cars. Ferrari have WAY too much power in the sport and stewards and the FIA are afraid to punish them. If they are in a title fight with anyone I pity whatever driver and team is fighting them because they won't get a fair shake. 2008 had laughable decisions all through and once Ferrari are fighting for a title the bad decisions come back again.

komninosm

Jolle wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 21:21
NathanOlder wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 20:48
Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 20:25
Is it just me or did anyone else feel Bottas deserved a penalty?
Yeah, I was wondering why he didnt get anything, at the time I wasnt worrying about it as he went a lap down ect, but hen you see him come back to finish 2nd, its then you think, why did he get away with pushing kimi into the wall and wrecking kimi's race.

The stewards seem to not bother if the guy who did it, is also suffering damage. I think they need to change that to a grid penalty for the next race IMO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWD0CWFSeQU

here, it's a short clip, but Bottas had no place to go then go onto the kerbs.
This is clearly Kimi's fault (racing incident though). He closed the line too much and forced Bottas on the kurb which bounced him outwards.
Bottas had the inside line and Kimi should respect that and give room.
Last edited by komninosm on 26 Jun 2017, 01:14, edited 1 time in total.

komninosm

drunkf1fan wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 00:24
CLKGTR wrote:

No question, ultimately he also was at fault for the first contact, no one else had trouble, no one else expected Ham to blast out of the corner in this situation, only Vettel. He hit someone through poor driving then blamed the other guy and in rage hit him again. I think a black flag for the deliberate hit for sure, but considering he caused damage which to me seemed to hurt his pace at the end, the first contact should have contributed to the penalty as well. Collision under safety car is a no no, not just a racing incident and Hamilton wasn't driving erratically in any way at all.

If it wasn't a Ferrari driver crashing into someone under safety car I think almost anyone else would have been punished for that alone. They also only seemingly felt comfortable going with a severe penalty once they knew Hamilton had to pit... or when they realised they had an excuse to force him to pit as well.

I notice they had no problem with Kimi driving with bits hanging off the car, bits that when they fell off resulted in a safety car and potentially damage to other cars. Ferrari have WAY too much power in the sport and stewards and the FIA are afraid to punish them. If they are in a title fight with anyone I pity whatever driver and team is fighting them because they won't get a fair shake. 2008 had laughable decisions all through and once Ferrari are fighting for a title the bad decisions come back again.
They don't call it FIARRARI for nothing mate :p

Also that article (the other guy mentioned) is strange. What does it mean "almost dsq"? Can your wife be "almost pregnant"? Can you "almost win the championship" (by 14 points)? If there is no further penalty after the race for Vettel then this year of F1 championship is tainted.

komninosm

Is there any solid info on what actually caused the Hamilton head rest failure?

drunkf1fan

komninosm wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 01:17
Is there any solid info on what actually caused the Hamilton head rest failure?
i don't think so, though there were a few Ferrari guys hanging around right behind the Mercedes in the pit lane, seb was there too...... :p

komninosm

This vid needs to be in this thread to put some things into perspective.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHURLy0 ... =AldoVolpi
Europe2016 Race 2 Restart Matsushita Catches Safety Car Multiple Cars Off

siskue2005

drunkf1fan wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 00:24
CLKGTR wrote:

Damage was repaired immedietly for Vettel in next lap when there was a the Red flag. So it didnt affect him at all

All these years i was a Ferrari fan since 1998 to 2009, and i hated people saying FIARRARI. Now as an ex ferrari fan i can clearly see now how bad it is. 1999 2001 2004 2006 2007 2008 2010 every championship years has a questionable move by the FIA, but never believed in such stuff. and after yesterday frankly i am enlightened to this FIARRARI :?