2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

Waaaay too much time spent over on the other thread. Here's what I wished I'd spend more time discussing. Ricciardo's move on both Williams at the restart was sublime. A lot of good racing performances yesterday, shame that so much shade befell it all.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Jolle

TAG wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 14:19
Waaaay too much time spent over on the other thread. Here's what I wished I'd spend more time discussing. Ricciardo's move on both Williams at the restart was sublime. A lot of good racing performances yesterday, shame that so much shade befell it all.
I think even Ricciardo was surprised with the result. Even on the podium it looked like he still didn’t get it :D

n_anirudh

I think FIA need to consider cars being repaired in the garages when excessive damage is done and when the session is red-flagged. Mechanics cannot move tools etc to the pitlane to make major repairs to cars. Perhaps FIA could send an observer to the garages or teams could have informed FIA about their actions, but too many things happening in the pits.

Kimi and Perez penalties were a bit stupid IMHO, but brilliant work by the mechanics to get the cars up and running. I think these rules need to be changed.

Moose

n_anirudh wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 14:35
I think FIA need to consider cars being repaired in the garages when excessive damage is done and when the session is red-flagged. Mechanics cannot move tools etc to the pitlane to make major repairs to cars. Perhaps FIA could send an observer to the garages or teams could have informed FIA about their actions, but too many things happening in the pits.

Kimi and Perez penalties were a bit stupid IMHO, but brilliant work by the mechanics to get the cars up and running. I think these rules need to be changed.
The problem with that is that the Mechanics get complete, unobserved, unadulterated access to the car. They could in theory add fuel, or ballast to make sure that they finish the race within the fuel/weight limits.

I'm honestly amazed that Perez and Raikonnen weren't just black flagged.

dans79

Moose wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 18:52
Correct, me if I'm wrong, but aren't their FIA representatives in each garage all weekend.
197 104 103 7

flynfrog

dans79 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 18:54
Moose wrote:
Correct, me if I'm wrong, but aren't their FIA representatives in each garage all weekend.
If there are they are probably just to witness not advise.

dans79

flynfrog wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 20:24
dans79 wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 18:54
Moose wrote:
If there are they are probably just to witness not advise.
That's kind of what i would expect, so they could just watch, and then report anything they thought was questionable to the race director.
197 104 103 7

marmer

dans79 wrote:
Moose wrote:
Belly buttons don't stare at themselves now do they

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Silly question time:

Aren't the cars out of parcel ferme as soon as they get onto the formation lap?
So changes before the red flag should have been fine.

I know refuelling is banned under race conditions/stops, but aside front the fuel efficiency angle, the safety angle is a no-show if you're in the garage and under normal conditions you wouldn't choose to park in the garage and refuel (you'd lose too much time), so would it make sense to allow it.

Obviously when the red flag comes out things change a bit, but much like pitting under the safety car, or layouts cards passing the SC, it's a fluke of timing - in the case of being in the garage, you're costly well down - the changes gain you an advantage on where you were, but it's unlikely you gain much on the field. I wouldn't be against that.

and tbh in the endurance spirit of a GP format, getting a result after huge damage and a spell in the garage is something I like the idea of - I was a little disappointed RBR didn't attempt an engine change for MV [no idea what the minimum time is on a modern PU - probably not do-able, but would be nice to see more cars get back out and finish after damage - only really make sense on a crazy race/on off rain etc. but the engineers & mechanics get to be heros on the day, not just behind the scenes]

Schuttelberg

Is it just me or did anyone else get GOOSEBUMPS when Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel were all within a second of one another for a little while?

The F1 Royalty! =D>
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

matt_b

Schuttelberg wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 22:38
Is it just me or did anyone else get GOOSEBUMPS when Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel were all within a second of one another for a little while?

The F1 Royalty! =D>
Highlight of the race for me 8)

NathanOlder

n_anirudh wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 14:35

Im not so sure, If cars have major damage, there is a very good chance that they caused the red flag, if thats the case, they shouldnt be allowed to continue!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Another thing i wondered was, did it appear that Ocon put up a much harder fight when Lewis was passing him, than he did when Vettel was passing him ? I mean, Force India "mercedes" and Ocon being a Mercedes academy driver! Just found it a bit odd. Surely Ocon can be thinking he may have a shout at the 2nd Merc seat next season if he can get the better of Sergio and if Bottas screws up in the 2nd half of the season.

Dont get me wrong, I like Ocon a lot, but as a Lewis fan I was saying "Get out the bloody was son" and Surely Toto would have been thinking something similar in the heat of the moment.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TAG

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 22:51
Dont get me wrong, I like Ocon a lot, but as a Lewis fan I was saying "Get out the bloody was son" and Surely Toto would have been thinking something similar in the heat of the moment.
That overtake on Vettel was never going to happen with half a diffuser so I don't hold anything against Ocon.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ferkan

Half diffuser gone?