2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

Big Mangalhit wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:12
But I think they were still one lap behind after the red flag, no? Now I'm confused
They were two laps down when the red flag came out, got one back because that’s what you may do under the SC.

A +1L button wouldn’t be right. You won’t have done the race distance. It’s a principal thing ;-)

turbof1

WaikeCU wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:18
turbof1 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:05
WaikeCU wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 12:49
I really did not understand why under the red flag Kimi and Perez were back in the race and were released on track while the whole field is in the pitlane? Why not move those two to the back of the pack in the pitlane and continue?
Now WaikeCU, calm down. You are being way too logical and you are making way too much sense. Let's try to ignore that before the FIA does something rational :D .

In all seriousness: I think this is probably one guy hammering on the table with his fists "it has to be done right! He has to unlap himself! Why will nobody listen to me!" while the others try to reason in vain. That or there's no function to add one lap to a driver's count without having said driver drive around the track. Maybe they'll have a +1L button next time.

(Man, this has to be the weirdest race in a few years. That's asteroid field levels of chaos.)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudos to the Ferrari mechanics for rebuilding the back end and floor of that car in a jiffy, but they did forgot one important aspect of the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJTfFKkWRA&dummy=1

I mean seriously, who knew Kimi can't drive without a steering wheel? :roll:
The funniest thing about that, is that the mechanic was just dangling the steering in front of Kimi's face the whole time:

Like a carrot in front of a donkey. I can just imagine what the mechanic said. "Hey Kimi, you want this? You want your steering wheel? Nah bro, not getting it. Hey Kimi look, I'll just jog alongside while pretending I'm steering. Hey Kimi, shall I radio in you don't have a steering wheel? Hey kimi, please press strat 6 on your imaginary steering wheel. Hey Kimi... ." Kimi: "stfu and give my steering wheel!!!!"
#AeroFrodo

ripper

Yes they were two laps behind and I guess that FIA wants to make unlapping happening on track due to fuel usage and tyre wear. Can you imagine what could happen if a car A gets overtaken by car B that made one less lap and hadn't to fuel save while car A had to? And what if car A is a Ferrari/Mercedes/RB? DRAMA!

Big Mangalhit

HAHAHAHAHA so so hilarious that Kimi bit.

Got it thanks for the explanations everybody, it was really an hectic race

WaikeCU

turbof1 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:21
WaikeCU wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:18
turbof1 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:05

Now WaikeCU, calm down. You are being way too logical and you are making way too much sense. Let's try to ignore that before the FIA does something rational :D .

In all seriousness: I think this is probably one guy hammering on the table with his fists "it has to be done right! He has to unlap himself! Why will nobody listen to me!" while the others try to reason in vain. That or there's no function to add one lap to a driver's count without having said driver drive around the track. Maybe they'll have a +1L button next time.

(Man, this has to be the weirdest race in a few years. That's asteroid field levels of chaos.)

Kudos to the Ferrari mechanics for rebuilding the back end and floor of that car in a jiffy, but they did forgot one important aspect of the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwJTfFKkWRA&dummy=1

I mean seriously, who knew Kimi can't drive without a steering wheel? :roll:
The funniest thing about that, is that the mechanic was just dangling the steering in front of Kimi's face the whole time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjK_VDngUkQ&dummy=1

Like a carrot in front of a donkey. I can just imagine what the mechanic said. "Hey Kimi, you want this? You want your steering wheel? Nah bro, not getting it. Hey Kimi look, I'll just jog alongside while pretending I'm steering. Hey Kimi, shall I radio in you don't have a steering wheel? Hey kimi, please press strat 6 on your imaginary steering wheel. Hey Kimi... ." Kimi: "stfu and give my steering wheel!!!!"

Monty Python and the Grand Prix of Azerbaijan.

And while that happened, there was a heavy crash in the pitlane:

https://streamable.com/33n6i

Some say Ferrari got away with a slight warning by the race officials.

Manoah2u

Ferrari mechanic wasn't aware of any contact.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Manoah2u wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 14:02
Ferrari mechanic wasn't aware of any contact.
The othe one did a brake-test. :mrgreen:

giantfan10

The most telling part of the grand prix for me was Hamilton whining to the pitlane to make them compromise Bottas' race so that he could back up Vettel so that Hamilton would have a chance to pass.
I think cracks are showing in the Hamilton facade of greatness.
Ill take the hotheaded racer who loses his temper over the driver that it seems needs his team to manipulate his teamate for his gain .

ENGINE TUNER

Wass85 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 12:04
Vettel got off very lightly but nobody has picked up on the point that Vettel hitting him was a blessing in disguise for Hamilton.

With or without that incident Hamilton would have still encountered that problem with his headrest which meant Vettel would have won the race whilst he wouldn't make the podium, thankyou Sebastian.
The headrest was taken off during the red flag and replaced for the start, there is no guarantee that the headrest was improperly fitted at the start of the race, it is more probable that the headrest was not properly refitted for the red flag restart. Vettel's crash happy mania was no "blessing" in disguise as you claim.

Manoah2u

Is not braking also a brake test? :P
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

ChrisDanger

Diesel wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 19:39
This was a pretty dull race last year, I don't expect this to change again this year. If anything, with wider cars it's going to be impossible to overtake here. Whoever leads after the first lap will win the race.
https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... =2017-baku

137 overtakes, of which 25 were DRS-assisted. Previous record this year was China with 54.

Every thread someone comes along with a downer post about how the race is going to be boring. I'm not singling you out, because I'm sure it's not the same person every time, but it would be great if people could leave their pessimism on their side of the keyboard.

i70q7m7ghw

ChrisDanger wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 19:39
Diesel wrote:
This was a pretty dull race last year, I don't expect this to change again this year. If anything, with wider cars it's going to be impossible to overtake here. Whoever leads after the first lap will win the race.

137 overtakes, of which 25 were DRS-assisted. Previous record this year was China with 54.

Every thread someone comes along with a downer post about how the race is going to be boring. I'm not singling you out, because I'm sure it's not the same person every time, but it would be great if people could leave their pessimism on their side of the keyboard.
This race was "exciting" for all the wrong reasons, I stand by my post. It was about to become a dull race after Verstappen retired, then cue the chaos caused by the safety cars. The majority of those overtakes were created by tyre temperature problems caused under the safety car restarts.

But hey, if you enjoyed Baku and that's the sort of racing you want to see then don't let me stop you from enjoying it. I'd personally prefer to watch a race rather than a destruction derby.

Ps- If you've got a problem with a post then report it to the moderators :wink:

Manoah2u

Diesel wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 20:18
ChrisDanger wrote:
Diesel wrote:

This race was "exciting" for all the wrong reasons, I stand by my post. It was about to become a dull race after Verstappen retired, then cue the chaos caused by the safety cars. The majority of those overtakes were created by tyre temperature problems caused under the safety car restarts.

But hey, if you enjoyed Baku and that's the sort of racing you want to see then don't let me stop you from enjoying it. I'd personally prefer to watch a race rather than a destruction derby.

Ps- If you've got a problem with a post then report it to the moderators :wink:
Lol,

Baku last year was a borefest despite some 'controversy' (Rosberg-Hammy and radio ban stuff),
and i really WAS expecting total snoozefest but this was hands down THE most exciting, thrilling and crazy race of the season and i LOVED it, and it DID have to do with the track itself, so i'm hoping next year we'll see more.

partially down to the curbs on the corners, so i'm afraid that'll be tackled next year though i really hope not. That gave some cool effects resulting in this chaotic race. loved it. nice to have some tracks to stir up the pot.

Im very curious about SPA this year.

But afaik, BAKU wins the race / track of the year right now.

PlatinumZealot

turbof1 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 13:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjK_VDngUkQ&dummy=1

I was slapping my knees with that one! lol

Man. I'm not sure I want Kimi to retire. We need a Kimi in F1.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

drunkf1fan

ChrisDanger wrote:
Diesel wrote:

How many are DRS assisted doesn't much matter, how many were 'overtakes' of Bottas, Perez, Ocon, Kimi, Massa, overtaken by pretty much everyone when damaged. Likewise how many were not DRS, but safety car/restart assisted. I'm not saying it was a boring race but from recollection 90% maybe of the overtakes not down the backstraight were probably the overtakes that resulted in damage/crashes. Of the ones down the backstraight, many wouldn't have occurred without the multiple safety cars to bunch people up.

It was a good race, but taking a single number and using it to try to say it was or wasn't good is always silly.