2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Hamilton vs Vettel incident

The FIA's inability to bring the guilty to the rule book and let the serial offender escape, should spur the Mercedes to enhance their car performance in anger and dominate again. That would be the best answer to the stewards' inefficiency and of the FIA's, who are worried to punish Vettel, ONLY because it would affect the championship fight, in spite of full knowledge that it was a deliberate crime.

I would wish for the uni-dominance of Mercedes to be back as Vettel, doesn't deserve to fight for championship anymore.

marvin78
marvin78

That's unreflected, highly exaggerated and egoistic.

Vanja #66

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vasconia

I remember back in time when Hamilton scaped from certain penalties...This decision is debatable but I hate this victimhood. Top drivers have been favoured more than once, not fair but it happens.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 01:59
What i have learned from this fiasco is that Vettel haa very very big balls....
Why? because he has apologized?

Vasconia

Xwang wrote:
03 Jul 2017, 21:52

Bottas had plenty of space given by Kimi, but he wanted to go faster than he could having Kimi car in front and on the external and he decided to go full speed on the kerb.

As far as Verstappen have you forgotten last year defence at Spa against Kimi at 300km/h. It was IMHO the second riskiest and unsportsmanlike manoeuvrer after Senna deliberate crash with Prost at Suzuka 1990.
Certain drivers can do whatever they want and incredibly there is no (such a great) controversy around it. At least with time FIA took note and things changed.

WaikeCU

GPR-A wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 08:26
The FIA's inability to bring the guilty to the rule book and let the serial offender escape, should spur the Mercedes to enhance their car performance in anger and dominate again. That would be the best answer to the stewards' inefficiency and of the FIA's, who are worried to punish Vettel, ONLY because it would affect the championship fight, in spite of full knowledge that it was a deliberate crime.

I would wish for the uni-dominance of Mercedes to be back as Vettel, doesn't deserve to fight for championship anymore.
This means gloves off. Toto has said it before: It's war now. They have the perfect driver to do so. One that bounces back hard after a setback like Baku. Could expect one of those memorable performances of Lewis on a rainy Sunday, dominating the whole race.

Gothrek
Gothrek

Restomaniac wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 01:01
Gothrek wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 00:44
A just action by the FIA to be honest. The stewards already punished him. They cannot punish you twice for the same crime. Amazing how the UK press can always make Vettel look the villain, they must really dislike him.

But let the vicious circle go on:
- Hamilton fans: Seb rammed him twice, also passed him, so 3 incidents, punish him harder
- Vettel fans: Hamilton brake tested, he was in his right

Reality from my point of view: Hamilton slowed down way too much (yes you can do this without hitting the brakes) in a half blind corner where you would not expect it. Vettel was maybe sleeping a bit. Vettel got angry and touched him briefly at a very low speed. Vettel got punished for his overreaction during the race, which made him lose the race. End of story.
Erm you do know that Kvyat was punished twice for the same crime right? Vettel has just himself admitted that he is the villain of the piece so the UK press has nothing to do with it.

Will you PLEASE stop making stuff up as Hamilton did nothing even Vettel has now admitted as such. What part of that clear factual evidence are you struggling with? If that is your point of view then sir you must be blind as now NOBODY involved agrees with you.
You have chosen option1 is see. I have not made stuff up. Hamilton did slow down a lot. That is a fact, 50kph is extremely slow for an F1 car. Unless you disagree? He also did it on a place, where you would normally accelerate. (also a fact).

Have you read Vettels apology?

During the re-start lap, I got surprised by Lewis and ran into the back of his car. With hindsight, I don’t believe he had any bad intentions.

He doesn't say that Lewis did not brake test him, or that Lewis did not slow down. He says Lewis probably didn't have bad intentions. That is something different altogether.

In the heat of the action I then overreacted, and therefore I want to apologise to Lewis directly, as well as to all the people who were watching the race. I realise that I was not setting a good example.

He doesn't mention the first contact, he only apologizes for the second contact.

santos
santos

Surely this episode showed that the restart of a race under the safety car, needs some changes. What Vettel did was wrong, but the lost of speed of Lewis, surprised many people behind him. He may have not broke any rules, but we can agree that ins't safe.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Gothrek wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 10:06
Restomaniac wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 01:01
Gothrek wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 00:44
A just action by the FIA to be honest. The stewards already punished him. They cannot punish you twice for the same crime. Amazing how the UK press can always make Vettel look the villain, they must really dislike him.

But let the vicious circle go on:
- Hamilton fans: Seb rammed him twice, also passed him, so 3 incidents, punish him harder
- Vettel fans: Hamilton brake tested, he was in his right

Reality from my point of view: Hamilton slowed down way too much (yes you can do this without hitting the brakes) in a half blind corner where you would not expect it. Vettel was maybe sleeping a bit. Vettel got angry and touched him briefly at a very low speed. Vettel got punished for his overreaction during the race, which made him lose the race. End of story.
Erm you do know that Kvyat was punished twice for the same crime right? Vettel has just himself admitted that he is the villain of the piece so the UK press has nothing to do with it.

Will you PLEASE stop making stuff up as Hamilton did nothing even Vettel has now admitted as such. What part of that clear factual evidence are you struggling with? If that is your point of view then sir you must be blind as now NOBODY involved agrees with you.
You have chosen option1 is see. I have not made stuff up. Hamilton did slow down a lot. That is a fact, 50kph is extremely slow for an F1 car. Unless you disagree? He also did it on a place, where you would normally accelerate. (also a fact).

Have you read Vettels apology?

During the re-start lap, I got surprised by Lewis and ran into the back of his car. With hindsight, I don’t believe he had any bad intentions.

He doesn't say that Lewis did not brake test him, or that Lewis did not slow down. He says Lewis probably didn't have bad intentions. That is something different altogether.

In the heat of the action I then overreacted, and therefore I want to apologise to Lewis directly, as well as to all the people who were watching the race. I realise that I was not setting a good example.

He doesn't mention the first contact, he only apologizes for the second contact.
I haven't taken any of your pointless options.
I have presented the facts as they are. It's only those who are either so blinded by hatred towards Hamilton or blind loyalty towards Vettel/Ferrari who can't see those same facts smacking them in the face.

Andres125sx

Gothrek wrote:
Hamilton did slow down a lot. That is a fact, 50kph is extremely slow for an F1 car.
Only in your mind, as telemetry did prove he kept almost constant speed througout the corner :roll:

50kmh is perfectly normal for a slow corner behind the SC

Gothrek wrote:
He also did it on a place, where you would normally accelerate. (also a fact).

Again, only in your mind. No one single F1 driver will accelerate at last slow corner before the straight, once the SC has switch off lights. They all, without exception, would slow down to build a gap with the SC so once he hit the throttle he can keep race pace until the finish line without overtaking the SC before the SC line.

That´s standard procedure at any category with SC :roll:

Sieper

That is not so strange, the first contact (I personally also do still believe) Hamilton did trick him somewhat, he even states now that he does not believe it intentional (which I think is a lie of him) as he will probably still think it to be on purpose but is now very impopular to say (and would be stupid of him to do, only pouring oil on the fire (pun intended) and the second action he now finally admits (as is also a wise thing to do, don't keep denying it as we could all see it was an intentional ram). The punishment is low, very low.

On the other hand a big punishment is next were he ever to do it again this season, so we can be sure he will keep his cool now (or face a huge punishment). The FIA can do nothing else now.

It is my opinion (I am entitled to it as I as well have an arsehole) that Hamilton will trick him again, and he will loose it again. Might even be Verstappen that tricks him as RB seems to be getting back in the game as well.

Gothrek
Gothrek

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 11:04
Gothrek wrote:
Hamilton did slow down a lot. That is a fact, 50kph is extremely slow for an F1 car.
Only in your mind, as telemetry did prove he kept almost constant speed througout the corner :roll:

50kmh is perfectly normal for a slow corner behind the SC

Gothrek wrote:
He also did it on a place, where you would normally accelerate. (also a fact).

Again, only in your mind. No one single F1 driver will accelerate at last slow corner before the straight, once the SC has switch off lights. They all, without exception, would slow down to build a gap with the SC so once he hit the throttle he can keep race pace until the finish line without overtaking the SC before the SC line.

That´s standard procedure at any category with SC :roll:
Can you please show the telemetry? Because FIA only stated that he did not brake. Looking at the onboard you clearly see him slow down to almost a standstill.

Again, it is a place where people accelerate. It is out of a corner...

Gothrek
Gothrek

Restomaniac wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 11:01
It's only those who are either so blinded by hatred towards Hamilton or blind loyalty towards Vettel/Ferrari who can't see those same facts smacking them in the face.
Good that you are getting it. Do you understand that you are one of them?

Big Mangalhit

santos wrote:
04 Jul 2017, 10:30
Surely this episode showed that the restart of a race under the safety car, needs some changes. What Vettel did was wrong, but the lost of speed of Lewis, surprised many people behind him. He may have not broke any rules, but we can agree that ins't safe.
Yes but Hamilton was obliged to do so otherwise he would probably catch the SC before the line. I think what should be changed is the SC, it is clearly too slow for these cars as it was stated several times by several pilots