2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2017 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg 7-9 Jul

I'd say the phrases "they will stop within their boxes", "standing start" and "cars come to a halt" imply by definition that it must be assumed all cars are immobile until the race is started when all lights go out?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

henry

Phil wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 13:17
I'd say the phrases "they will stop within their boxes", "standing start" and "cars come to a halt" imply by definition that it must be assumed all cars are immobile until the race is started when all lights go out?
Thanks. I agree. The cars must be immobile. But when? When the last light goes out? all of the time from coming to a halt to the lights going out? From some other point in the start sequence?

And what constitutes in the box? We saw a kerfuffle earlier in the year when Vettel interpreted this slightly differently.

I guess the Clerk of the Course knows the answers but because they are not in the regs it leads to these interminable discussions. Interminable because no one outside knows what the rules really are.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

FrukostScones

as sometimes engagement/adjustment of the clutch leads to movement of the car, there are tolerances by the FIA, that is why BOttas wasn't punished... I thought that was known by now. I think it is in a FIA SportindDirective, as to TDs not written in the public regs.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... --fia.html
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... ia-928763/

you could argue he made a jump start but was saved by regs that allow movement that cannot be controlled by the driver alone. As Bot fully controlled and timed his getaway he was exploiting the regs. But it was legal.
Legal jump start! :mrgreen:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Phil

The way i would intepretate it, would be that the sequence is (should be) as follows:

All cars park/stop/halt their cars within the designated area of the grid box. Then the green flag is waved to signal to the race director that the start procedure can be started which triggers the light sequence. The cars should be immobile until the sequence ends when all lights go out.

The only issue here is that because of the way the system works and the tolerances from that system, that some (micro) movement while not explicitly allowed, but not enforceable per say - not until the car moves beyond a point at which it triggers a false start electronically to the race director.

For all intends and purpose, i think its just a very small greyzone due to the tolerances and margins of the system.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FrukostScones

I think they maybe should stop the "tolerance zone" immediately when all red lights are lit. But maybe that is not feasible.

Phil

Its not a "tolerance level" because they want to, its most likely a tolerance due to not wanting the system to go off when there is even the slightest movement, gust of wind or what ever.
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 16:56
Its not a "tolerance level" because they want to, its most likely a tolerance due to not wanting the system to go off when there is even the slightest movement, gust of wind or what ever.
You dont even need wind, just think about how much the cars vibrate when reved up right before the lights go out.
197 104 103 7

mertol

henry wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 12:57
Which rules are these?

The 2017 sporting regs say
The rules I already quoted:
mertol wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 18:24
It must be in the rulebook somewhere. The international sporting code specifically says what a false start is and doesn't say anything about tolerances:

8.6.1 A false Start occurs when an Automobile:
8.6.1.a is in the wrong position for the Start (as described in
the relevant sporting or Supplementary Regulations), or;
8.6.1.b moves forward from the prescribed position before
the Start signal is given;
8.6.1.c is moving when the Start signal is given during    a
standing Start, or;
8.6.1.d accelerates early or unevenly during a rolling Start or
fails to maintain the prescribed formation (all as described in
the relevant sporting or Supplementary Regulations, or as
specified by the race director or clerk of the Course).

Bottas clearly broke b and c. What is there to understand?

Some gust it must be to move a car 30cm. The tolerance is not mentioned in any rulebook so they made it up whether during the creation of the transponder or during the judgement it doesn't matter, their decision is illegal.

henry

mertol wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 17:28
henry wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 12:57
Which rules are these?

The 2017 sporting regs say
The rules I already quoted

Some gust it must be to move a car 30cm. The tolerance is not mentioned in any rulebook so they made it up whether during the creation of the transponder or during the judgement it doesn't matter, their decision is illegal.
Thanks. Sorry I missed your earlier post.

I can't find the supplementary regulations. But I doubt tolerance on movement is mentioned anywhere. Let's hope these unwritten rules and interpretations never decide a World Championship.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

FrukostScones

Phil wrote:
https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/form ... ne-strafe/

Phil

FrukostScones wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 18:33
Phil wrote:
https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/form ... ne-strafe/
Thanks for confirming exactly what i said.
#Team44 supporter