2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ripper

Re: 2017 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 14-16 July

Vasconia wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 11:25
I was refering to a blind supporters.

I expressed myself quite badly, I meaned a superior car, the Ferrar is indeed an excellent car but this season is looking more and more like 2012. At that time Ferrari had a very good car but it was looking superior to RB only because they managed the tyres better. Once RB found the solution(we know how it came), the game was over. I am afraid this time could happen the same if Mercedes has been able(it seems to be the case) to unlock all the potential of their car after they have solved their problems with the tyres and overweight.

I am really hope I am wrong, though. I do want to see a close battle between Lewis and Sebastian.
Well I think more or less the same, the W08 is a better car that had some flaws (weight, tyre management and so on) now that they fixed them they are gaining points over Ferrari. I hope that in Maranello they will be able to change something but I think it will be very difficult.

ripper

Ricciardo did a great race, but the first six cars are so better than the midfield that it's "easy" for one of them to pass the rest of cars on a track where it's possible to overtake.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
Shakeman wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 10:52
That was the best GP of the season so far for me. I wish every fortnight was like that.

I might be biased but Silverstone is a fantastic track and it would be a shame to lose it to a processional street circuit.
I like Silverstone as a track but the race was not very excting apart from the final drama.
If you didn't enjoy the battle with Vettel trying to get past Verstappen, then I don't know what you'd call good racing. It was sublime defending against an relentless attack.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

waynes

RZS10 wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 20:29
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ion-coming

incredible ... sometimes i have the feeling kvyat is just dumb, last race showed he did not learn from previous start crashes (especially Russia16), and now he got mad that Sainz got him through copse and he went for an overtake that will not work in 95% of cases only to blame his team mate he took out ...

it's a typical mistake you can see from bad drivers in online races in various games ... going for the overtake through the first left into maggots, not shedding enough speed through maggots, going wide onto the grass, being unable to slow down enough for becketts and taking out the unlucky sob on the racing line

seriously ... i was sure this would end badly when i saw the two side by side with the dust being kicked up

http://i.imgur.com/YbyM7rH.png

he did leave the track briefly (if you go by the white line as track limits)

http://i.imgur.com/sHd4kHV.png

and then the best part: "He turned into me" he said, with almost full steering lock towards his team mate who was already far off the ideal line on the outside of the corner

http://i.imgur.com/Zh6I3ba.jpg
i was in the Becketts grandstand and managed to catch the incident (or most of it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V38I238X3OY

Vasconia

ripper wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 13:54
Vasconia wrote:
I was refering to a blind supporters.

I expressed myself quite badly, I meaned a superior car, the Ferrar is indeed an excellent car but this season is looking more and more like 2012. At that time Ferrari had a very good car but it was looking superior to RB only because they managed the tyres better. Once RB found the solution(we know how it came), the game was over. I am afraid this time could happen the same if Mercedes has been able(it seems to be the case) to unlock all the potential of their car after they have solved their problems with the tyres and overweight.

I am really hope I am wrong, though. I do want to see a close battle between Lewis and Sebastian.
Well I think more or less the same, the W08 is a better car that had some flaws (weight, tyre management and so on) now that they fixed them they are gaining points over Ferrari. I hope that in Maranello they will be able to change something but I think it will be very difficult.
Ferrari´s devolpment rate hasn´t been bad at all but if Mercedes has a clearly better I have no doubts that their devolpment rate will be equally good. We have seen between 2014 and 2016, other teams could barely close the gap.

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 15:07
Vasconia wrote:
Shakeman wrote:
That was the best GP of the season so far for me. I wish every fortnight was like that.

I might be biased but Silverstone is a fantastic track and it would be a shame to lose it to a processional street circuit.
I like Silverstone as a track but the race was not very excting apart from the final drama.
If you didn't enjoy the battle with Vettel trying to get past Verstappen, then I don't know what you'd call good racing. It was sublime defending against an relentless attack.
I did enjoy that part, it was awesome, pure F1. From that moment until the end the race was not very exciting, though.

Spoutnik

It's funny how lot of people discover how overrated the Ferrari (and Vettel driving this season) is. As I said many times recently, since the upgrade in Spain Mercedes has been the fastest car on every single track except Monaco. Nevertheless some luck, or technical issue was hidding this for the last 4 races. Clearly, to be 1 pts ahead midway to the season is already not fully deserved if you take a closer look to the recent races. I will not even talk about the delta of performance in qualy between Merc and Ferrari.

Moreover, it's not even "peak Sebastian Vettel", mistakes, nervous, not really on top when he need to put an astonishing qualy lap, and Raikko outqualy him 3 times. So, Mercedes can be really disappointed to not be ahead, to not make profit of this part of the season and their fantastic development of the car, maybe they will regret it at Abu Dhabi...

But it's been a pretty good race to watch. Fantastic race by Ricciardo with so many laps on these SS. The question is Red Bull are closer to Ferrari than the Ferrari to the Merc or it is the opposite ?

Moose

Vasconia wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 15:28
TAG wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

I did enjoy that part, it was awesome, pure F1. From that moment until the end the race was not very exciting, though.
So, what about Bottas fighting up from 9th to 4th in the first few laps?

What about Ricciardo fighting through the field?

What about Bottas fighting Vettel?

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
How about Ricciardo coming from the tail end of the field to 5th? That was entertaining. How about Bottas chasing then overtaking Vettel, Vettel giving it his all trying to defend against the faster car on fresher rubber, utterly destroying his front left in the process? Can't say he didn't give it his all! How about Hulkenberg's drive putting the Renault ahead of the Force Indias? Stellar drive. Trying to guess when/how Ferrari would attempt to switch Kimi with Vettel for 3rd, Vettel chasing as much as he could. I mean it's your prerogative not to like it, not to like the results. I had put Alonso 10th in the fantasy league hoping for an inspired drive from him which of course mechanical kept him from but man I enjoyed the race quite a bit. Perhaps the race of the season with action (in a good way) Maybe I've got raise my standards for being entertained.

Got lucky too with the SC as it meant everyone was able to push for the positions whether defending or overtaking. Without the multiple SC laps we could have hand much more of a conservation race.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 15:53
Vasconia wrote:
How about Ricciardo coming from the tail end of the field to 5th? That was entertaining. How about Bottas chasing then overtaking Vettel, Vettel giving it his all trying to defend against the faster car on fresher rubber, utterly destroying his front left in the process? Can't say he didn't give it his all! How about Hulkenberg's drive putting the Renault ahead of the Force Indias? Stellar drive. Trying to guess when/how Ferrari would attempt to switch Kimi with Vettel for 3rd, Vettel chasing as much as he could. I mean it's your prerogative not to like it, not to like the results. I had put Alonso 10th in the fantasy league hoping for an inspired drive from him which of course mechanical kept him from but man I enjoyed the race quite a bit. Perhaps the race of the season with action (in a good way) Maybe I've got raise my standards for being entertained.

Got lucky too with the SC as it meant everyone was able to push for the positions whether defending or overtaking. Without the multiple SC laps we could have hand much more of a conservation race.
I am really enjoying Hulkenberg´s season, tough some people are reluctant to give him some credit. Its true that its difficult to judge him having Palmer as team mate but I have no doubts that he is extracing all the potential from that Renault.

Vasconia

Spoutnik wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 15:41

But it's been a pretty good race to watch. Fantastic race by Ricciardo with so many laps on these SS. The question is Red Bull are closer to Ferrari than the Ferrari to the Merc or it is the opposite ?
On race pace we have seen RB closer to Ferrari, it seems that RB´s updates are working specially well during the race. The gap is still important on qualy, though. But its clearly one of the team which improves more from qualy to race.

Sieper

TAG wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Shakeman wrote:

This is exactly what it is, Vettel did do a great attack, on the edge and very aggressive, just like I want to see it, but it was repelled by Verstappen in a fantastic way. I especially liked how he moved to the inside (just before the attack started) but left so room on the very inside and when Vettel went for it immediately took a wider line to take more momentum with him into the corner, Vettel then forcing him wide and Verstappen continuing on and squeezing Vettel again in the next corner. great stuff.

Huelkenberg on Ocon (after the start), great as well. Kimi squeezing an over enthousiastic Verstappen (little bit of a dumb move by Max) on turn 3 or so also great stuff (as a consequence Vettel being able to overtake Verstappen again but Verstappen overtaking him on the outside again with cm to spare (and Vettel also respecting that). Just great. If only the 3 top teams were more evenly balanced (and maybe even Mclaren, Renault back in the fray). Hamilton was fantastic all weekend but he has almost no opportunity to show it (other then being very fast).

Restomaniac

Sieper wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 16:32
TAG wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

This is exactly what it is, Vettel did do a great attack, on the edge and very aggressive, just like I want to see it, but it was repelled by Verstappen in a fantastic way. I especially liked how he moved to the inside (just before the attack started) but left so room on the very inside and when Vettel went for it immediately took a wider line to take more momentum with him into the corner, Vettel then forcing him wide and Verstappen continuing on and squeezing Vettel again in the next corner. great stuff.

Huelkenberg on Ocon (after the start), great as well. Kimi squeezing an over enthousiastic Verstappen (little bit of a dumb move by Max) on turn 3 or so also great stuff (as a consequence Vettel being able to overtake Verstappen again but Verstappen overtaking him on the outside again with cm to spare (and Vettel also respecting that). Just great. If only the 3 top teams were more evenly balanced (and maybe even Mclaren, Renault back in the fray). Hamilton was fantastic all weekend but he has almost no opportunity to show it (other then being very fast).
I did enjoy Vet Vs Ves a great deal. Max's comment about bumper cars made me chuckle.

Sieper

As long as Max is in good spirit (like he was at that time) the radio comments indeed are enjoyable as well. "Max there is a yellow in turn seven" "yea, that was me :-D"

foxmulder_ms

mertol wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 20:24
The fault is not with the car. Just Vettel performing on Kimi's level. They both suck now.
Nope, Kimi has been better in last few races.