2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
CBeck113

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

f1316 wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 12:34
krisfx wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 10:53
f1316 wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 09:29

It's becoming a trend though, you would never hear that a few years ago and now it's every race/several times every race.

Part of being a great driver is having that additional capacity on top of what's required to race the car - it was one of Michael's key attributes that, in cars/races equally as hard to drive (if not more, given their relative weight > change of direction) he had that extra capacity to think ahead and, so Ross Brawn says, sound on the radio like he's having a normal conversation on a Sunday drive.

I get it, of course, it's easy for me to say and the job hard/reaction understandable, fair enough if you'd perform better without interruption, but I think part of it is that this kind of thing has become fashionable - and drivers have noted the extra column inches/support people like Kimi and Fernando get because of their entertaining radio - so I think there's a lot of that going on too.

Arguably, you'd not hear the radio aggression a few years ago because of a lack of broadcasting, not because drivers were more polite.
I'm not talking about Schu era when I make that point (Ferrari didn't broadcast its radio then anyway) but literally in the last 3 or 4 years. I don't think they broadcast less team radio than they do now (notable exception being the period when they clamped down on radio).
No, but since Liberty has taken over they've been playing more of these clips, since they think it's what the fans want to hear - the stress and intensity of the race.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

dren

NBC Sports cut out to a commercial when Hamilton won the race. Great coverage NBC.
Honda!

dren

On another note, it should be Hamilton's championship to lose at this point.
Honda!

drunkf1fan

GPR-A wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 08:27
If one was to believe that Honer was lying, it becomes difficult to believe then that, a driver who qualified ahead of another, gets a new Inters and could fall away to the guy ahead, who was on 12 laps old Inters. It is difficult to overtake on this circuit, especially between the front runners, regardless of the pace advantage, but in that situation, Ric should have been atleast on Lewis' tail constantly and that did not happen at all. He was falling away. That is hard to accept, if it wasn't for some kind of problem. I know, none of us heard any radio about the gearbox issue and that makes us believe that, Horner is lying as radio about every front running drivers' issues gets relayed.

Either Mercedes had enarmous pace advantage in those conditions OR it was that, Ric was genuinely nursing some problem.
Personally I'd say new inters if it's still raining and the track isn't drying is a plus, but ultimately worn inters are closer to slicks and in the conditions that were no new rain but drying slowly used inters were probably the faster tire, the question was would they burn out and would they suddenly just blow. Ricciardo was behind Ham and fairly safe anyway so chose the potentially slower but vastly safer option that I think Hamilton and Bottas should also have made(as they'd have lost nothing). Though very likely the reality is RBR would/should have said if Ham pits stay out, if he stays out you pit, RBR had the strategy advantage there.

Old inters are bad when the groves are wearing down but the standing water isn't decreasing but in those conditions I doubt it's a disadvantage at all.

The issue is the hype from fp2 but I never saw RBR as remotely competitive from FP2 timings. RBR are 3rd in the WCC, they could have won here or DNF both cars for 3 races, they are getting 3rd. So they have little to no reason to avoid engine penalties or really care about anything. This was a track they felt was best chance of a genuine pace win so they maximised this weekend. I think ultimately absolute best data for sunday comes from running full race mode performance in Fp2 but to avoid engine failures 95% of the time you'll run lower engine modes and extrapolate the data you see to the expected pace in the race. So I think FP2 was a case of Merc/Ferrari knowing the championship could well be decided by a engine penalty and running the usual or even more reduced engine power than normal while RBR in not caring about engines and trying to maximise their best shot at a win for the rest of the season ran full power to get the absolute best information they could.

On top of that Merc usually run highest fuel while most teams seem to run mid stint fuel because that gives you overall balance for the race, Merc seem to like to set up for the worst case stint of the race on heaviest fuel so they are always showing worse pace comparably in FP2 anyway.

Quali came down to mechanical grip, the cars with the most managed to extract more performance in Q3 and this is where Mercedes lacked a half second, but in the race at 5+ seconds slower the car was no longer mechanical grip limited. I said that a couple places on Saturday, the race performance advantage for Merc was expected for me, hell even when you look at FP2 times Ham's ultrasoft stint wasn't great but his stint on softs was fantastic.

I think too many looked at Bottas's times and maybe thought Ham was pushing tires too hard so the pace might be closer to Bottas but in reality Bottas just had truly terrible pace all weekend. He was 2 seconds off in FP2, he was miles down in Q3, he was easily 2 seconds a lap off in the race whenever Hamilton wanted to push.

I do think RB are probably making up an excuse, they hoped they really would be competitive and if Max had made it to T1 maybe they would have been able to prevent people passing them and been in a good shout of a win. I think people hyped up the supposed race pace advantage which I didn't see them even having and as such they want to make it look better for them to fans who thought they'd be a second faster a lap than Merc in the race.

Vasconia

NathanOlder wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 23:14
Gothrek wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 22:59
Well, this WDC is over, let's hope 2018 is better
How could it be any better up to this point. Or is it just the wrong guy winning ?
2017 is being awesome so far, so it would be a pitty if Hamilton wins all the races from now on. It would be great if they can fight for the WC in the last race.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:20
2017 is being awesome so far, so it would be a pitty if Hamilton wins all the races from now on. It would be great if they can fight for the WC in the last race.
It's not about Hamilton winning every race from now on, it's not about Hamilton winning 20 races in the calendar. It's about a fight, a competition where the winner has to fight for it. What's the point of whether or not Vettel wins half the races left and Hamilton wins half the races left if they both gain those wins uncontested?

I think your comment exhibits a lot of what's wrong with fanaticism in any sport. I just crave a beautiful race, even if it doesn't end in a win for my favorite guy.

So in that respect, no 2017 hasn't been that great because the leaders have seldom gone head to head against each other. That's when you see what people are made of.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Bill_Kar

As I am no expert in engineering or something; is there possibility that any PU element could be damaged due to the struck on Vettel's car?
It could be a gearbox failure but they can change it because of DNF anyway

Andres125sx

f1316 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 08:40
f1316 wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 15:24
I'm getting a bit tired of drivers telling their engineers to go away, leave them alone or shut up. Like they all heard Kimi do it once and want to emulate that.

Ultimately the engineer is trying to help, so why not be a little bit polite and respectful (and NB I couldn't care less if someone uses an expletive - that's a completely different conversation).
You can´t ask someone with a heart rate of around 160-180, who is racing at night, on a wet track, with walls all around wich he must almost touch at every corner, to be polite.

This was not a race to get the drivers distracted, even the smallest distraction can be disastrous here
It's becoming a trend though, you would never hear that a few years ago and now it's every race/several times every race.

Part of being a great driver is having that additional capacity on top of what's required to race the car - it was one of Michael's key attributes that, in cars/races equally as hard to drive (if not more, given their relative weight > change of direction) he had that extra capacity to think ahead and, so Ross Brawn says, sound on the radio like he's having a normal conversation on a Sunday drive.
But you can´t compare this race with a global behaviour, I´m sure even Michael was sometime harsh. If that´s broadcasted that´s a different matter :wink: This race was a rare case, as rare as it has been first wet night race ever, and on an urban track with walls all around. There has never been an environement as stressful for F1 drivers as this one, literally. Take Sainz as an example, he´s usually polite, as shown in the first radio comunication (leave me alone please), but on the second one (shut up, please, please) was a lot more harsh

Add to that there was a lot of accidents, SCs, etc. wich add even more stress, and it´s been a very special GP

f1316 wrote:
but I think part of it is that this kind of thing has become fashionable - and drivers have noted the extra column inches/support people like Kimi and Fernando get because of their entertaining radio - so I think there's a lot of that going on too.
Yeah sure that´s exactly what they´re thinking about when they receive a radio com while fighting his car between walls on a damp track :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Xwang

I have seen again Hamilton start at Monza.
It seems identical, but in that case there wasn't another car trying to overtake Stroll and Stroll has reduced his speed.
Hamilton himself has said that Vettel couldn't see Verstappen and Raikkonen and according to me even if Vettel didn't move to the left, he would have been hit by Verstappen at the first corner because I doubt that three or four cars can pass the first corner at the same time.
So it seems only a very unlucky incident and I don't understand who says that Vettel should have left Verstappen overtake (why Hamilton has not let Stroll pass at Monza then?) because Vettel was in pole and to try to win the championship he needed to try to collect the maximum number of points in any race.

cplchanb

Xwang wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 21:34
I have seen again Hamilton start at Monza.
It seems identical, but in that case there wasn't another car trying to overtake Stroll and Stroll has reduced his speed.
Hamilton himself has said that Vettel couldn't see Verstappen and Raikkonen and according to me even if Vettel didn't move to the left, he would have been hit by Verstappen at the first corner because I doubt that three or four cars can pass the first corner at the same time.
So it seems only a very unlucky incident and I don't understand who says that Vettel should have left Verstappen overtake (why Hamilton has not let Stroll pass at Monza then?) because Vettel was in pole and to try to win the championship he needed to try to collect the maximum number of points in any race.
i think the difference here is that max was already getting alongside him when he started to swerve.
ham chopped off stroll immediately and was able to get away because he chopped him off before stroll could get alongside. i think it was a case of tunnel vision

Xwang

I think that Verstappen has reacted a bit too much to Vettel's move (there was about half meter or more between him and Vettel when Raikkonen rear wheel has collided with Verstappen front), but according to me nobody has to be blamed for that because there was a huge speed differential between Rai and Ver and probably that speed difference has been what has caused the impossibility for Rai and Ver to avoid the contact.

Quantum

djos wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 00:10
I'd suggest doing things like setting the engine to a lower torque map and changing gears at lower points in the engines power and torque bands (aka short shifting) would all contribute to extending the life of the gearbox.
All of which wasn't noted on the radio transcripts from F1 fanatic....
Ricciardo: “Is the rain still falling?”
“Yes, but it’s reducing in intensity.”

To Ricciardo: “Hamilton could be getting issues on his front inters so watch your fronts.”
Later on.....
“How far away from dry tyres?”
Ricciardo: “Still greasy, not ready yet.”

Ricciardo: “Think it’s getting very close. The inters’ plateau’d.”
“Understand what you’re saying. We’re watching the gaps behind.”
Ricciardo: “These tyres are starting to go in the rear.”
“We’re watching the gap. There’s traffic, it’ll be difficult to overtake on dries.”

To Ricciardo: “Box, Daniel, box.”

To Ricciardo: “Looks like his warm-up wasn’t very good. One-and-a-half seconds faster than him in the last two sectors.”
Even later...
To Ricciardo: “So there is now a crane on the track on the bridge. I’ll keep you updated.”
Later still
To Ricciardo: “Remember to breathe and drink.”

To Ricciardo: “OK seven laps to go.”
To my knowledge, I think the driver has to change the setting on the fly. This cannot be done from pit to car, though I may be woefully incorrect.
On that assumption and on the lack of any further radio evidence to suggest there was a gearbox issue, I call nonsense on RedBull's claim of gearbox problems.
I'm willing to retract that if any radio call can be found to overrule the above. Till then.... Red Bull BS.
"Interplay of triads"

Phil

How about if the gearbox issue was known before hand? Between qualifying and the race? And they chose not to mention it over the team radio to keep the pressure on Mercedes?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle

Phil wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 00:28
How about if the gearbox issue was known before hand? Between qualifying and the race? And they chose not to mention it over the team radio to keep the pressure on Mercedes?
They would have changed the gearbox. Only time would be on the way to the grid.

TAG

On lap 15 or 16 Ricciardo lost one second to Hamilton out of nowhere. Horner mentioned the same lap 15. I suspect they saw an issue and it was fixed via some workaround Ricciardo knew to implement. After watching the race again today I saw that and the time gap which if I'm not mistaken happened in sector two. So either he went off and lost the time or he had an issue which he was easily able to work through, who knows it could have even been the same shifting gear gremlin that affected Verstappen but they'd come up with a way to reset the system or something.

I doubt that he had any issues after that. It's the only narrative that fits all of the circumstantial things we've pointed to in the discussion.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत