2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Dazed1

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

I did not get the post-race interviews, I am curious if Hamilton knew Vettel got hit in that early crash? He was careful to stay to the left of the track after turn one which placed him safely away from Vettel's subsequent spin and crash. ;)

GPR-A duplicate2

Dazed1 wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 04:51
I did not get the post-race interviews, I am curious if Hamilton knew Vettel got hit in that early crash? He was careful to stay to the left of the track after turn one which placed him safely away from Vettel's subsequent spin and crash. ;)
He was not, until he saw Vettel spin after turn 2. He backed off in turn 1 itself, when he saw Vettel coming fast from the inside, as going any faster would have made him miss the turn and go through escape area. In his post race interview, he said he was happy that he was behind Vettel and could race him, but immediately, he saw Vettel spinning.

Vasconia

TAG wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 18:02
Vasconia wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 16:20
2017 is being awesome so far, so it would be a pitty if Hamilton wins all the races from now on. It would be great if they can fight for the WC in the last race.
It's not about Hamilton winning every race from now on, it's not about Hamilton winning 20 races in the calendar. It's about a fight, a competition where the winner has to fight for it. What's the point of whether or not Vettel wins half the races left and Hamilton wins half the races left if they both gain those wins uncontested?

I think your comment exhibits a lot of what's wrong with fanaticism in any sport. I just crave a beautiful race, even if it doesn't end in a win for my favorite guy.

So in that respect, no 2017 hasn't been that great because the leaders have seldom gone head to head against each other. That's when you see what people are made of.
Ohhhhhhhhh come on, don´t overreact please. When I sad that I was(Jesús Christ, it seems I must explain every single word) trying to say that I would like to see some competition and not the same driver winning without oposition. 6 races like the fight Vettel and Hamilton had in Spa would be good even if Lewis wins all of them. But, it would be better LIKE I SAID if both drivers have almost the same points and we enjoy a last (and epic) battle in Abu Dhabi.

Right?

Phil

Dazed1 wrote:
Hamilton was driving off the racing line probably because there he was out of the spray and more grip there. Rubber on the track and wet is a dangerous combination.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

Lewis was on the better line for wet, as Phil said, the rubbered line has less grip. Plus he was out of the spray to see the next turn.

I'd like to know if Vettel crashed because of the coolant or wether her just dropped it on his own. I didnt see any coolant until after he turned around after driving backwards. Also was the coolant from the sidepod and it had run down the rear of the car and was sprayed up in the exhaust flow.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sevach

Apparently down to temps why Mercedes was so fast in Singapore.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... 55236/?s=1

NathanOlder

Sevach wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 12:00
Apparently down to temps why Mercedes was so fast in Singapore.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why- ... 55236/?s=1
Makes sense. So would have been a great race if everyone made it through T1. Lewis fighting through. Id sis appear that Lewis had massive pace advantage over Ricciardo. So if he was on full attack it would have been a great watch. Well done Seb, you robbed us of a spectacular show
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Hamilton was 4th at minium, and with the 3 in front going in to T1 together theres a chance he may have had 1 more. Lewis' start was as good as Kimi's
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

GPR-A duplicate2

I still think it was not Vettel who was responsible for the crash. It was a combination of multiple situations, in which he was a contributor. IF none would have crashed (assuming Kimi would have pulled off the move on Verstappen), Hamilton would have started 4th as he already overtook Ricciardo by the start line. That would have kept him behind the top 3. The conditions were very difficult and Verstappen and Lewis are good in such conditions and at some point, could have overtaken Kimi (who just like Bottas, would have struggled). That would mean, 1. Vettel, 2. Max and 3. Lewis. The only opportunity that Mercedes would have had, was to use the same strategy that they used in the race, which was to stay out when the leaders would pit for another set of Inters, when Kvyat went off. OR if none pitted at that time, then pit very early for slicks when the track dried, ahead of Vettel and Max.

I think, everything was possible and a good entertaining race was there to watch. It would have been a battle of strategies between Ferrari, RB and Mercs. Rain did it's job, but Kimi's brilliant start (who normally used to lose places at the start) took away all of that. :D
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 19 Sep 2017, 14:29, edited 2 times in total.

TAG

Vasconia wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 09:34
But, it would be better LIKE I SAID if both drivers have almost the same points and we enjoy a last (and epic) battle in Abu Dhabi.

Right?
I think you continue to miss the nuance of what I am saying. But it doesn't matter, we're way off topic so best to leave it there.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

Phil wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 09:39
Dazed1 wrote:
Hamilton was driving off the racing line probably because there he was out of the spray and more grip there. Rubber on the track and wet is a dangerous combination.
He was there partly because Ricciardo made a lousy start, and he drove around to overtake him. The additional grip worked to his advange frm there. Was even able to to not make contact with a partially out of control Vettel just before turn one.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Sevach

GPR-A wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:24
I still think it was not Vettel who was responsible for the crash. It was a combination of multiple situations, in which he was a contributor. IF none would have crashed (assuming Kimi would have pulled off the move on Verstappen), Hamilton would have started 4th as he already overtook Ricciardo by the start line. That would have kept him behind the top 3. The conditions were very difficult and Verstappen and Lewis are good in such conditions and at some point, could have overtaken Kimi. That would mean, 1. Vettel, 2. Max and 3. Lewis. The only opportunity that Mercedes would have had, was to use the same strategy that they used in the race, which was to stay out when the leaders would pit for another set of Inters, when Kvyat went off. OR if none pitted at that time, then pit very early for slicks when the track dried, ahead of Vettel and Max.

I think, everything was possible and a good entertaining race was there to watch. It would have been a battle of strategies between Ferrari, RB and Mercs. Rain did it's job, but Kimi's brilliant start (who normally used to lose places at the start) took away all of that. :D
I don't understand people blaming Vettel either, he moved to the middle of the track to cover Verstappen, do people just expect him to leave the door wide open and let Verstappen through?

If we are going with foresight, everyone could've avoided waht happened, Kimi could've gone wider of Verstappen, Verstappen could've lifted and Vettel could've stuck to the outside line since Kimi was jumping Max anyway.

hemichromis

Verstappen couldn't have lifted, Kimi's rear tyre was right behind his, that impact is what caused Kimi's care to swing around.
Verstappen had no option to avoid the crash once Kimi was alongside.

The unfortunate thing for Ferrari was that they would have probably been 1-2 after the first corner if the crash hadn't happened.

TAG

Sevach wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:37
GPR-A wrote:
I still think it was not Vettel who was responsible for the crash. It was a combination of multiple situations, in which he was a contributor. IF none would have crashed (assuming Kimi would have pulled off the move on Verstappen), Hamilton would have started 4th as he already overtook Ricciardo by the start line. That would have kept him behind the top 3. The conditions were very difficult and Verstappen and Lewis are good in such conditions and at some point, could have overtaken Kimi. That would mean, 1. Vettel, 2. Max and 3. Lewis. The only opportunity that Mercedes would have had, was to use the same strategy that they used in the race, which was to stay out when the leaders would pit for another set of Inters, when Kvyat went off. OR if none pitted at that time, then pit very early for slicks when the track dried, ahead of Vettel and Max.

I don't understand people blaming Vettel either, he moved to the middle of the track to cover Verstappen, do people just expect him to leave the door wide open and let Verstappen through?

If we are going with foresight, everyone could've avoided waht happened, Kimi could've gone wider of Verstappen, Verstappen could've lifted and Vettel could've stuck to the outside line since Kimi was jumping Max anyway.
And that's why everyone but the most ardent of defenders are okay with the no further action decision, calling it a racing incident. There's always a few holdouts though.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Vasconia

Sevach wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 14:37
GPR-A wrote:

According to what I have seen in the Spanish newspaper Marca, the most prominent Italian newspapers are blaming directly Vettel. Well, those newspapers love to point out always someone.