2017 Singapore Grand Prix - 1st lap crash discussion

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - 1st lap crash discussion

This is what happens when amateurs copy the Schumacher Chop.
When Schumy did it back then they should have been labelled "plz don't try it home or "stunts performed by experts plz don't copy" :lol:

What an amateur hour stuff from Vettel

JimiJams

Ves caused the accident by swerving to the left into Raikkonen. It's a racing incident since he had his front wheel in front of Raikkonens rear wheel making him entitled to the racing line as the rules state but any experienced driver would have realized the position was lost and would have backed out of it instead of causing a collision.
"Leave me alone. I know what I’m doing" - Kimi Räikkönen

TAG

People trying to blame this on Verstappen are really just mad that Hamilton got the 25 point swing. Let's move on and hope Vettel doesn't do anything stupid in Malaysia. Regardless of which of the the three stooges you're pointing the finger at, the results won't change.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Restomaniac

Phil wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 20:56
What i dont get is... if i had a bad start, would i really try to defend that hard against people who did better? That is always going to end in tears...
Brundle and Hill talked about this. As they said you know when you have made a bad start.
Vettel will have known he was about to get swamped. What does he do? Go right to left and not stop until he has hit something.
Bonkers, as is anyone who tries to defend it.

marvin78

There is nothing to defend. That thing happens every second race. The only difference is that mostly there is no RAI on the inside. That's it. For sure it is Vettels fault but it only shows that the start is a dangerous part of the race. Nothing more, nothing less. If you take a close objective look, you can get it and move on.

Restomaniac

JimiJams wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 06:52
Ves caused the accident by swerving to the left into Raikkonen. It's a racing incident since he had his front wheel in front of Raikkonens rear wheel making him entitled to the racing line as the rules state but any experienced driver would have realized the position was lost and would have backed out of it instead of causing a collision.
https://media.giphy.com/media/3ov9jVq0M ... /giphy.gif
He tried to back out FFS. How many more times is that going to be have to be said?

LionKing

Restomaniac wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 07:56
Phil wrote:
What i dont get is... if i had a bad start, would i really try to defend that hard against people who did better? That is always going to end in tears...
Brundle and Hill talked about this. As they said you know when you have made a bad start.
Vettel will have known he was about to get swamped. What does he do? Go right to left and not stop until he has hit something.
so much lieing. Vettel had a worse launch but he had better acceleration then verstappen. He was just about to fully clear Verstappen and go in front of him when Kimi and verstappen made contact. Vettel did not hit anyone that is blatant lie. Kimi uncontrolled car after the first contact collected him.

Restomaniac

LionKing wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 08:20
Restomaniac wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 07:56
Phil wrote:
so much lieing. Vettel had a worse launch but he had better acceleration then verstappen. He was just about to fully clear Verstappen and go in front of him when Kimi and verstappen made contact. Vettel did not hit anyone that is blatant lie. Kimi uncontrolled car after the first contact collected him.
He would have only 'cleared' Ves because Ves had tried to back out when he unlike Vet saw what was coming. If Rai isn't there Ves doesn't need to back out and Vet doesn't 'clear' him period. Also the best bit is what happens if Ves gets clear? Well as has been pointed out Vet was at that point looking right so that line continues and he slams into Rai.

Look I know you're upset that Vet took himself out and but try to stop laying the blame at anyone but him. Ok?
Last edited by Restomaniac on 18 Sep 2017, 08:56, edited 2 times in total.

tpeman

Hi, guys! I'm new in the forum. I've been following this discussion quite for a while (since yesterday :) ). In my point of view this crash should be viewed as a standard racing incident. Vettel moved to the left (an often used defensive move), Kimi had a mega mega start and Verstappen had nowhere to go. I don't agree with some of you putting the blame on Sebastian, mainly because the same move was executed by Alonso in the same GP in 2010 ( as well as many other drivers)

Just look at 0:20

JimiJams

Restomaniac wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 08:18
He tried to back out FFS. How many more times is that going to be have to be said?
He clearly swerved left instead of getting off the throttle despite being mugged on both sides.
"Leave me alone. I know what I’m doing" - Kimi Räikkönen

Restomaniac

JimiJams wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 08:58
Restomaniac wrote:
He clearly swerved left instead of getting off the throttle despite being mugged on both sides.
You have a very strange definition of 'swerve'. I assume then that yesterday still burns a tad.
Anyone who isn't a blind Ferrari or Vettel fan can see the truth though. You don't seem able. One can guess why.

Jolle

Looking at it, what if VER wasn’t there? 10m later VET would have drove into RAI himself....

VET can only blame himself for this. A costly mistake. Second time this season he looses points because of his own doing.

hemichromis

I really cannot see how Verstappen can have any blame at all, no action he took would have prevented that crash.
Even if he could just disappear the Ferrari's may well have hit each other.
That said, Vettel couldn't see Raikonnen and Raikonnen probably thought he could get alongside vettel for the first corner.

Vasconia

Re: 2017 Singapore Grand Prix - Marina Bay, 15-17 September

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 15:34
Vasconia wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 15:01
Verstappen has ruined his and Ferraris race, for me Its pretty clear. No penalty because Its the start.

Verstappen drove in a straight line. Vettel moved across. How is that Verstappen's fault?
Verstappen tried to be first before the first corner, he failed, he was being overtaken by Kimi and Seb was still first(perhaps he could have been overtaken by Kimi as well), he should have decided that it was a better to be cautious, he wasn´t.

Anyway, Ferrari has runied its chances to win the championship. 28 points when Mercedes is still better are too much, so unless there is a DNF or Lewis make some mistakes, I can´t see him losing the championship.

TwanV

Restomaniac wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 09:02
JimiJams wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 08:58
Restomaniac wrote:
You have a very strange definition of 'swerve'. I assume then that yesterday still burns a tad.
Anyone who isn't a blind Ferrari or Vettel fan can see the truth though. You don't seem able. One can guess why.
Don't get upset Restomaniac, these people live by Scuderia blame culture. Blame Ves, problem solved. It's official even (and reinforced). I prefer Vettels reaction, who didn't deny the claim that it was his fault at all. For all the ridiculous stuff he does in the cockpit, at least he's smart enough to admit doing dumb stuff sometimes.