2017 Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang, 29 September-01 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2017 Malaysia Grand Prix - Sepang, 29 September-01 October

Aren't part of Vettel's penalty points older then a year now so he could have received a penalty without an automatic race-ban again?

To me no penalty was needed for the accident itself, most of the blame is on Vettel imho but both moved towards eachother. The fact he took his steering wheel was really strange. For that at least an acknowledgement that that is not OK could be made. But apparently an official complaint would have to be registered for that? By any of the other teams? Sauber :-D!

Jolle

Sieper wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 15:01
Aren't part of Vettel's penalty points older then a year now so he could have received a penalty without an automatic race-ban again?

To me no penalty was needed for the accident itself, most of the blame is on Vettel imho but both moved towards eachother. The fact he took his steering wheel was really strange. For that at least an acknowledgement that that is not OK could be made. But apparently an official complaint would have to be registered for that? By any of the other teams? Sauber :-D!
Nah,
I think Vettel got away easy in Baku (IMO should be black flagged at least, with a race ban) and a bit in Singapore (some points on his licence for moving into another cars lane), but this incident was just stupid. I think the FIA report was correct and the right action was taken.

Jester Maroc

So no onboard footage from Stroll's perspective...

Sigh, I believe both were napping. However, why was Vettel driving so fast to get to the "marbles" on the racing line?
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

ChrisDanger

Sieper wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 15:01
The fact he took his steering wheel was really strange. For that at least an acknowledgement that that is not OK could be made.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13215 ... -collision

When asked by Autosport why he took the wheel with him, Vettel replied: "It was a sort of reflex.

"I saw Pascal was stopped and I couldn't get the steering wheel back on because the steering column was completely turned.

"Obviously the car was damaged. I put it in the seat, and it was reflex - sometimes they open the track to spectators, so I thought that's the only loose bit.

"Because I couldn't put it on I thought I might as well take it with me just to make sure.

"You don't want to lose a steering wheel. Was it necessary? Probably not."
If he'd left it on the seat the same rule would still be broken, as it stipulates the wheel must be attached.

ChrisDanger

Sky has released Stroll's onboard of the post-race crash with Vettel.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... h-released
Last edited by ChrisDanger on 05 Oct 2017, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.

garyjpaterson

Whats interesting to me is that from Vettels view it looks like Stroll wanders infront of Vettel - but from Strolls view it looks like Vettel drives into him.

Got to be the right call not to penalise either of them - from Strolls view its very obvious he does not alter his trajectory at all (not even a little bit).

F1NAC

here is mirror, yup both had stable trajectory just one was following the corner other had bit wider radius

https://streamable.com/3rc1s

hemichromis

That really does change things, the crash cannot be seen as predominantly Stroll's fault so the stewards made the right call.
Why did it take 4 days to release that footage?

turbof1

hemichromis wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 12:46
That really does change things, the crash cannot be seen as predominantly Stroll's fault so the stewards made the right call.
This was made live during the SkyF1 show after the race. I think under popular demand they placed it on their website. But technically this is footage which was already released.
#AeroFrodo

CBeck113

hemichromis wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 12:46
So the forums don't get boring.... #-o
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

turbof1

Just going from the footage, Stroll keeps the steering lock in the same position all the time (except for the split second before the collission, where he tried to turn away). The corner at the point goes sharper to the left.

The reason why Stroll is keeping his particular radiusing and does not follow the corner, is because his trajectory is the pickup line. It follows parallel to the race line.

You make out of this what you want. If we apply racing rules here, Seb is at fault. Only, this was not a race. I think both should have been more aware of their surroundings. For that both should have gotten a penalty as they let their attention slip too much. I think taking no action is also fair, however. Just that it does not send a message to the other drivers to remain focussed until the car is effectively parked. Seb afterwards got a ride from Wehrlein. Can you imagine if the exact same accident happened a few corners afterwards with Seb's leg dangling on the sidepod?
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:00
Just going from the footage, Stroll keeps the steering lock in the same position all the time (except for the split second before the collission, where he tried to turn away). The corner at the point goes sharper to the left.

The reason why Stroll is keeping his particular radiusing and does not follow the corner, is because his trajectory is the pickup line. It follows parallel to the race line.

You make out of this what you want. If we apply racing rules here, Seb is at fault. Only, this was not a race. I think both should have been more aware of their surroundings. For that both should have gotten a penalty as they let their attention slip too much. I think taking no action is also fair, however. Just that it does not send a message to the other drivers to remain focussed until the car is effectively parked. Seb afterwards got a ride from Wehrlein. Can you imagine if the exact same accident happened a few corners afterwards with Seb's leg dangling on the sidepod?
I would still say its Vettels fault, he comes from the outside of the corner and steers to the inside of the corner, where Stroll is. The race is over, and its the cool down lap, so you cant expect Stroll to be aware of Vettel suddenly being on his side. And its not the first time this season we've seen this kind of brain fart from Vettel

Shrieker

ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 11:07

Hmmmmm. That changes things a little bit. From Lance's on board it surely looks like Vettel came from behind like a lunatic and side swiped him :?
Last edited by Shrieker on 05 Oct 2017, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Restomaniac

turbof1 wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:00

I think they need Vet to stop talking on team radio though.
'Stroll is not looking where he was going, he completely shunted into my car'. No Sorry Seb but he didn't that is now painfully clear. This follows 'He brake tested me' when Ham did no such thing.

I get the impression Vet likes to 'get it out there' first but sometimes he doesn't engage his brain before he speaks and unfortunately can make a monkey out of himself at times.

NathanOlder

Shrieker wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 13:31
ChrisDanger wrote:
05 Oct 2017, 11:07

Hmmmmm. That changes things a little bit. From Lance's on board it surely looks like Vettel came from behind like a lunatic and side swiped him :?
He did. He came from behind and drove in to the side of stroll. Then had the cheek to blame Stroll, like he had the cheek to blame Lewis in Baku. Its taken years but we can all see Vettel for the driver he is now. Video shows that exactly. Im sure there will still be a mass of Vettel fans trying to tell me why its strolls fault, just dont waste your time guys.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC