2017 Championship Permutations

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2017 Championship Permutations

Nothing important for the permutation, if Hamilton wins two out of the four GPs left, it will be four straight years with double digit victories. A record that he might be as difficult to beat as Shcumacher's 7 titles.

Back on topic, if Hamilton wins in Austin and Vettel finishes 6th or worse, or if Hamilton finishes 2nd and Vettel DNFs or finishes outside the points, the championship is over. I don't think it will end here, but would be nice for the American GP to wear that feather again. I recall Vettel did it here in 2013.
Last edited by TAG on 09 Oct 2017, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

foxmulder_ms

Something missing in these discussions is the chances of Bottas being the 2nd in the championship. I think he has a legit chance.

dans79

foxmulder_ms wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 17:35
Something missing in these discussions is the chances of Bottas being the 2nd in the championship. I think he has a legit chance.
He is only 13 points back, so if Ferrari continues to have problems he will probably Overtake Vettel in short order. Specially if he has truly broken out of his own performance slump.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

Bottas has a chance but he probably needs Vettel to have further problems. All things being equal, I'd expect Vettel to have enough in hand to keep P2 in the championship.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 18:22
Bottas has a chance but he probably needs Vettel to have further problems. All things being equal, I'd expect Vettel to have enough in hand to keep P2 in the championship.
In the end it doesn't matter, there's only one position people remember a dozen years on.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

JordanFiveOh

TAG wrote:Nothing important for the permutation, if Hamilton wins two out of the four GPs left, it will be four straight years with double digit victories. A record that he might be as difficult to beat as Shcumacher's 7 titles.

Back on topic, if Hamilton wins in Austin and Vettel finishes 6th or worse, or if Hamilton finishes 2nd and Vettel DNFs or finishes outside the points, the championship is over. I don't think it will end here, but would be nice for the American GP to wear that feather again. I recall Vettel did it here in 2013.
Vettel did it in India in 2013 (remember the donuts and bowing to the car afterward), But Lewis did it here in 2015.

TAG

JordanFiveOh wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 18:36
Vettel did it in India in 2013 (remember the donuts and bowing to the car afterward), But Lewis did it here in 2015.
Ha! so much for my memory, I remember the donuts distinctly, for some reason I thought it was Austin. Mind like a sieve.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

JordanFiveOh

TAG wrote:
JordanFiveOh wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 18:36
Ha! so much for my memory, I remember the donuts distinctly, for some reason I thought it was Austin. Mind like a sieve.
Ah, but he did do donuts in Austin! I was in the T10 grandstand (I don’t think they even have these anymore?), and was able to capture some photos of it.

Not to get too off topic but:

Jolle

Vettel was "only" 58 points behind Hamilton after Suzuka 2015. So, nothing really changed. Ferrari had an ok season, but in the end aren't really a contender.

PlatinumZealot

They were contenders. They just fudged it up as a team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

Jolle wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 22:29
Vettel was "only" 58 points behind Hamilton after Suzuka 2015. So, nothing really changed. Ferrari had an ok season, but in the end aren't really a contender.
The number may be the same but there's a world of difference. It's like an erection you wake up to because you have to pee or an erection due to dancing with a girl at the club that you think you've got great odds with.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ChrisDanger

TAG wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 23:13
The number may be the same but there's a world of difference. It's like an erection you wake up to because you have to pee or an erection due to dancing with a girl at the club that you think you've got great odds with.
:shock: Interesting analogy. :lol:

Phil

Fulcrum wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 07:02
I was simply trying to illustrate how remote Vettel's chances actually are, what set of circumstances would be required for Vettel to win with any reasonable likelihood, highlighting how badly unfortunate Hamilton would need to be from this point onward.

Of course, Hamilton is well aware of just how badly title ambitions can implode. In 2007, with four races left, he led Raikkonen by 18 points, equivalent to 43 points under the current scoring system (one 1st, one 2nd).

Not only was the points differential lower than the current one, but Hamilton wasn't driving the dominant car of the time, didn't have a compliant teammate, was a rookie driver, and general reliability was lower than is the case today.
I appreciate the effort you've put into calculating the odds. My question was only there to highlight how quickly things can change. Prior to Singapore, it was quite farfetched to believe that Ferrari would indeed have as many DNFs as they did - some of them may be indeed down to "pushing to the limits", while the other was simply down to a slight misjudgement that made an entire race evaporate within seconds and a few hundred meters of the GP. You bring up 2007 and mention that Hamilton wasn't driving the dominant car of the time - which is true - but the reasons for him watching his championship ambitions implode can be found in two quite frankly unbelievable incidents that beggar belief - 1.) the tire where the team kept him out too long and 2.) the last race where somehow the car went into the pit limiter (if I recall correctly). Excluding both these extraordinary incidents and the championship would have easily been wrapped up with points to spare.

Hamilton now has a 59 point lead. No one is arguing that this isn't substantial or that it isn't Hamilton's to lose. That is beyond dispute.

My only point is, is that a Hamilton DNF could throw things around rather quickly. The statistics may not support this happening, but neither did they in Vettels case prior to Singapore. And DNFs can happen for all sorts of reasons: A faulty DRS flap (Hulkenberg), a driver error, a tire exploding (Stroll), a PU issue or quite frankly, any sort of issue that would prevent the driver from finishing the race. Hamilton is yet to have one this year. Bottas had one and he has had two unscheduled gearbox changes to Hamiltons one. Now that the season is nearing its end, one could say that the strain on components will be at its highest with all components having done a fair share of mileage. It wouldn't be farfetched at all to believe that there's some probability of Hamilton facing some sort of issue. On the other hand, Vettel has two relatively new engines (#4 & #5), although there is a question mark over the unit he used in Suzuka, running on 5 cylinders for 23km. Further than that - the two technical issues Vettel faced were linked to parts outside the power-unit and both from outside suppliers. I am yet to be convinced they are solely due to Ferraris spec 4 that is supposedly running closer to the limit.

I read this very interesting article on the BBC website by Andrew Benson, which sums up pretty accurately what I feel (and felt prior to Suzuka) as far as the championship goes:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41543657

Andrew Benson wrote:The Mercedes might be the fastest car over one lap this season, at least with Hamilton in it. But the Ferrari is a more consistent and usable - and often faster - race car, with a wider operating window.

(...)

If Hamilton's fourth world title now appears an inevitability, winning it might not happen as soon as it appears.

Assuming Ferrari can get a handle on their reliability problems, they can be expected to be competitive at the next race, the United States Grand Prix. In which case, it is hard to see Hamilton gaining the 16 points over Vettel he needs to clinch the title there.

After that comes Mexico, about which Mercedes have serious concerns. The long straights might suggest a power track that will play to the silver car's strengths. But in fact, because of the high altitude, the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City is a track where teams run at maximum downforce. And Ferrari - and Red Bull, for that matter - have a better high-downforce package than Mercedes.

The Mercedes engineers, therefore, have concerns that Mexico could be another weekend like Russia, Monaco, Hungary and Singapore where they are on the back foot. In which case, all things being equal, Hamilton could struggle even to make the podium.

There are aspects of the tracks at Brazil and Abu Dhabi - particularly the twisty sectors, in the middle of the lap at Interlagos and the end at Yas Marina - that are also likely to favour Ferrari and Red Bull. So the whole "one race at a time" mantra is more than merely the usual sportsman's schtick.
I don't like entertaining IF-scenarios either, but sometimes, they are interesting to get a clearer picture of the real pecking order between drivers and their cars. On the whole, Mercedes have been very efficient this year and quite frankly lucky as well. In at least Singapore, Malaysia and Suzuka, Vettel lost a lot of points to his rival on tracks where it was very evident that the Ferrari was going to be the car to beat on two occasions (Singapore/Malaysia). Yes, Singapore remains a big if, considering it was a wet track (which always changes the pecking order), but had it been dry as it had been on any other occasion in the history of the Singapore GP, there's little doubt that Ferrari and Vettel would have been the car to beat.

In Malaysia, Hamilton may have stuck that car on pole in qualifying, but it was again quite evident that the car struggled big time during the race. Hamilton himself said post-race that the race matched their expectations - as in that RedBull had 4 tenths on them and Ferrari 8 tenths. There was little doubt in Hamiltons own mind that Max would have found a way past. It was a Christmas gift in its own right that Vettel, faced with the issue in QF would be starting from back of the grid, but even more so that Kimi who was starting from 2nd, miraculously faced the same issue just before the start. If Kimi had not suffered the same faith, there's little to suggest he wouldn't have somehow ended up in front of Hamilton (ignoring all kind of freak incidents that could have happened) in what was clearly the quickest car during the race (evident by the pace Vettel showed throughout the weekend and the race starting from behind). If it had been a routine weekend for Ferrari, I have little in my mind that Hamilton would have finished a distant 4th at best behind both Ferraris and most probably both RedBulls too - yet, he managed to be 2nd at the mercy of Ferraris struggles.

In Suzuka, I'm not convinced Ferrari would have won - in fact, I'm quite confident Hamilton/Mercedes would have held on to the win, even with perhaps a more or just as competitive Ferrari behind. But again, it's amazing that Vettel walked away after just 23km with zero points after having perhaps the fastest or 2nd fastest car on race day and starting in the first row alongside Hamilton.

If you add these points together, and ignore the tire blowout they've had at Silverstone (a very unfortunate last lap incident) that cost Vettel a lot of points (he finished 7th instead a guaranteed 3rd), but also add Baku to the races where Hamilton should have easily won to Seb coming in 2nd and you will find that Ferrari/Vettel should/could be still leading this years championship. By my calculations, by 9 points in fact.

first column; as it happened, 2nd column, as it might have considering the cars true pace

Note that I gave a 2nd place to Vettel in Malaysia. It's hard to predict where he would have qualified etc, but given Kimi was 2nd, it wouldn't be that far off to assume that Vettel could have stuck it on pole. So giving 2nd to Vettel is being slightly pessimistic.

Anyway, these numbers are just here to show and highlight that indeed Ferrari has built a fabulous car. I'd still give the edge to Mercedes on the basis that it is clearly the fastest car in qualifying, but on the races the Mercedes has not dominated, it has shown itself to be rather vulnerable, which is how Vettel has hung on rather well and lead this years championship for the majority of it, despite having less wins under his belt.

Looking forward, it's indeed Hamilton's championship to lose as it stands. I do however still think that the last 3 races this year, that being Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi, could prove to be a bit of an achilles' heel for them, considering how strong Ferrari is (ignoring their unfortunate issues last two races) and especially with RedBull coming on as strong as they have in recent races, despite the PU handicap they face.

CotA IMO will be an important race for Hamilton. If he does well, then it will set up things nicely, even if the last 3 races end up being a nightmare for Mercedes (worst-case scenario). If Hamilton faces a DNF there (driver or technical related), it would IMO run this championship very close on the assumption that Ferrari could be the strongest car still.

Motosport is a very unpredictable sport sometimes. Hamilton experienced this first hand in 2007, but also in 2008 and 2016, as did Vettel in 2010 and 2012 and not least Alonso on more than numerous occasions.

Interesting fun fact btw:
Valtteri Bottas is currently 72 points behind Hamilton. If Hamilton extends this by just another 3 points in CotA, Bottas will be out of it mathematically. In other words if Hamilton finishes ahead of Bottas and beyond 4th place, Bottas is out.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

In all of these permutations, there are a couple of things that bother me. First any permutation in Baku that give Hamilton 1st and Vettel 2nd is just stretching to prove a hypothetical. The outcome in Baku should have been a disqualification for Vettel not any other permutation. The fact that the stewards resisted giving Vettel any harsher penalty in order to not impact the championship race is corruption on the face of it and incompetence at the core. But that's a different discussion. The other assumption often made is that Vettel would have won in Singapore. As soon as it rained, that race was going to be between Verstappen and Hamilton for the victory, regardless of how much twisting anyone does to explain otherwise.

You then also have to factor the DNFs as chances Ferrari wouldn't have taken if Vettel hadn't put them on the back foot.

The only surprise for me this year however is that unlike what's taken as the norm for Hamilton having to come back due to inordinate and down right unlucky circumstances, the cards have favored him. Beating an unlucky Hamilton is a hell of a lot easier than beating a lucky one.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Phil

Tag,

The reason why I have calculated Baku as a Hamilton win and Vettel 2nd is because I am more interested in alterations that consider and highlight the cars performance, not drivers performance. The cars performance is important, because it shows what is potentially possible, assuming a driver capable of delivering the performance that is expected and possible. Car performance trounces everything and is the most important performance differentiator. If you'd adjust Baku to be anything other than I suggested, you'd be off in fantasy land making your numbers subject to all kinds of outside circumstances like the stewards ruling.

PS: Yes, the stewards and FIA ruling was a joke, but lets just leave it there, ok? It has no bearing on the fact that Vettel was comfortably behind Hamilton and would have stayed there if there had not been any freak incidents like the headrest issue and the 5 seconds of insanity by Vettel.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter