Canadian GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
modbaraban

Re: Canadian GP 2008

Scotracer wrote:I wonder if it will do the same as this pigeon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGDA-1zfjvo
:D :lol:
No, groundhogs tend to enjoy motorsports in a more extreme manner... attack cars and such...

DaveKillens

Montreal is experiencing the first true heat wave of this summer. It will be very hot, and there is a chance of thundershowers. Rain? Yes, possible.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAQC0363
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

axle

Practice 1 was mainly wet but Massa was fastest on a drying track...

Practice 2 starts in 13mins on ITV-F1.
- Axle

donskar

Rain and suicidal wildlife! What next, the African auto clubs criticizing Bernie?

Seriously, let's hope the race is not decided by the safety car -- too much like NASCAR!
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

Trulli was struggling against Glock for the first time. Now in the dry it is better for him. McLaren has the highest top speed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ian P.

Re: Canadian GP...EH..??

In what seems to be a typical Canadian response to another typically Canadian problem they have gone and reduced the run-off areas and put up more barriers.
I am amazed that one of the true causes of Kubica's crash last year was the car getting airborns after running wide off the track and hitting an access road. This was about 6 to 12 inchs above the grass and served to launch the car into the air. I really wonder if they even considered increasing the run-off area rather than just boxing in the cars.
I will wager a 12-Pack of Ex that not only will the race be decided by the Safety Car but that there will be two Safety Car periods at least. Rain or shine.
Considering the absolutely incredible tracks in other parts of the world, with run-off areas, paved gravel traps and truly amazing tyre barriers, it is beyond reason that one of the fastest tracks is also one of the least modern.
Ground-Hog day is upon us.....again...."Bundle up campers, it's cold outside".
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

axle

Wow Renault are in a mess, even Alonso can't drag it round quickly...bit like Williams in Sepang. In a way Piquet can be happy that he was only .3-4 away from Alonso even if that left him last.

There is a clear gap between the top teams and the rest.

Good performance by Hamilton and Kubica in particular....think Lewis took a big step forward with his last run.
- Axle

DaveKillens

It appears that Ferrari are not running with the novel nose hole.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1103-3076
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Scotracer

DaveKillens wrote:It appears that Ferrari are not running with the novel nose hole.
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... =1103-3076
They didn't run it in Turkey either. They only use it on High downforce circuits. So we can predict they will use it at Silverstone, Magny-Cours, Hungary and possibly Valencia?
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

checkered

I don't do very serious

predictions about F1 races, but am more open to wanton ridiculosity in this regard. There are some fairly perceptible trends emerging in dry conditions, but with thuderstorms on the horizon causalities become slippery enough for a less than intrepid futurologist being entirely wrong and enjoying it all the way. So, vigorously shaking a snow globe, in a wet Canadian GP, 2008 AD, I foresee ...

1) At least two of the following drivers finding themselves on the podium: Kubica, Webber, Kovalainen.
2) Ferrari drivers, scrapping for position, crashing with each other for the first time. One will retire, the other goes on to finish in the low points.
3) Hamilton brushing against a wall (of champions?) ever so slightly, but on closer inspection a visible fracture in the suspension is found and he is prevented from rejoining.
4) Only one team getting both of their cars into the points; it will be either Scuderia Toro Rosso or Force India.
5) No groundhogs were hurt in the making of this mock Grand Prix. Well OK, one nearsighted specimen got slightly burned in trying to come on to a tyre warmer, but was later seen laughing it off in the buffet while sampling escargots and carrot sticks a slightly eccentric Québécois caterer had insisted on providing for the resident rodent population.

Somewhat on the bold side, these. And no, I'm not taking any bets either. My main motivation, to be honest, was to consider eventualities that'd make the Championship more interesting. Apart from the groundhog one. I don't know what that's about.
"In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

WhiteBlue

:lol: :lol: :lol: TX for making me laugh. nicely said.

I was wondering together with premiere commentator Marc Surer wether BMW have decided to rehash their friday strategy. They have either done that ot they are much more competitive all the sudden.

My conclusion is that they are making an effort to give more focus to light running in order to help Nick with his qualifying problems. I do not expect them to have vastly different qualifying and race pace compared to the previous six races in Montreal. nevertheless it was nice to see them mix it with the top runners in friday practise. I enjoyed it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

3rd practise is now on and in time for serious running the track is breaking up again in the hairpin. over night they have fixed it with cement once again. it must be pretty hard to cope with temperature changes of 90 °C each year.

Vettel lost the car over a curb and hit a wall pretty hard. the right rear wheel flew away in a very disturbing way.

now Bourdais hit the wall at the same point as Glock yesterday and STR have to repair two cars for qualifying.

Rosberg remains on the top spot as due to the yellows no improvements in the last 5 minutes are possible with the super soft.

freedom_honda

Honda seems to be struggling a lot :(

vyselegend

First of all, thank you very much WhiteBlue and NaZzO for the links, that saved my day! =D> (and by the way thanks dedge for requesting them in the first place). I can at least guarantee NaZzO's link works very well even outside of UK (and with no need for GB based proxy), as it's the one I clicked on when I came in a hurry. French nationalist TF1 channel is too busy with soccer to bother with the Canadian GP :roll: , but it's a good think as it means no adds every two secconds for the race! I'll use those streaming links everytime from now, instead on counting on those corrupted morrons...

Anyway, not much to say about the qualy, appart from the usual truths:

-Kubica, Alonso and Rosberg are the bests, slashing again through the Ferrari / Mac Laren monopoly.

-Piquet is desesperately slow... A full second down his team mate this time.

-Webber is an unlucky guy.

-Heidfeld needs to improve quickly now. This BMW is worth a third row at least.

JamesS

Very slow pace from Ferrari in final qualifying. It can't simply be fuel load, as both Ferrari drivers matched and in fact beat S1 and S2 times of Hamilton but both failed to repeat the pace in S3.

Will be an interesting race whatever happens though, rain or shine. With the track disintegrating in 10 laps, after 70 laps they'll be racing on sand.