Canadian GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
shotzski

Re: Canadian GP 2008

To Sebbe, Lewis actually stopped. He just skidded and had enough speed to bump Kimi's rear. If you look at the replay, you would see Lewis locked the brakes and smoked his tyres. Tough luck. Kimi was just a few meters away and couldn't avoid him.

WhiteBlue

as always the rule is in the rule book. generally overtaking is permitted in the pit lane because it isn' prohibited. the rules prohibit or restrict work in the pit lane because it is there for the cars which are supposed to be racing. so it is quite clear that drivers can legitimately use the slow lane if it is clear ahead of them.

In this particular case the rules get a bit complicated because it is unclear how the overtaking restriction of the safety car is applied to the pit lane. one has to assume it doesn't apply because drivers stop and you can't avoid passes in pit stops. this would mean that the overtaking restriction probably applies from the end of the speed limit in the pit exit.

it is matrerial to this case that we did not see the start of a session. in cases of session starts drivers are required to get in line at the traffic light. that is explicitly mentioned in the rules. there is no requirement to get in line during pit stops. this ambiguity is probably due to the relative novelty of the pits closing in F1. they saw this in the states and kind of liked it. but they did not anticipate all the possible problems and that drivers are not used to the closing of the pits.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Conceptual

My question is this:

If Kimi had seen that Lewis was about to hit him, and popped the clutch to get out of the way, would he have been black flagged by crossing the pit-out line under the red light?

Chris

bizadfar

shotzski wrote:I've read some viewers' quotes from another F1 website, and they are furious with Hamilton. How come when a Mclaren car commits a mistake, people always hit out on them. People brand Mclaren with different names and say things that are irrelevant with the situation, but when a Ferrari commits it, it's just a racing incident. Thus unavoidable or not to be blamed. I know it's their opinion, but at least be rational with reasoning. They talk as if they've driven an F1 car before. All I'm saying is that, be balanced. What if Lewis was in a Ferrari, would their views of him change? Peace!
I read the first two lines and thought. If I said Lewis ploughed into the back of Sutil and Kimi smashed into the back of Lewis in Canada, you'd still get mostly the same response from spectators. But this time, in this scnario, Kimi was an idiot.

Seriously, this accident is far different than the one in Monaco. What? You expect 22 drivers to go round like on train tracks (F1 Trademark at the moment primarily). It's simple physics, he caught a bump during braking on the rear and it was enough to unsettle it. Do you expect it to magically straighten up?
WhiteBlue wrote:
megz wrote:Running side by side in the pit lane has happened many a time in the past and never has there been repercussions so I think its OK as far as the rules are concerned.
yes, that is true but in this instance we had a yellow and that means overtaking isn't allowed. in the pits the manoever did not come to overtaking because Kimi accelerated to match Kubica's speed and ended in a position on the side of the BMW driver. he was using a clear slow lane for this because Ferrari are the last team in the pit lane. if the session was started then the drivers would have to line up behind each other in the pit lane. but they are allowed to use the whole pit lane during pit stops and the releasing team must make sure no collision occurs. so sitting side by side in the pit exit was legal. the question is still what would be the situation when the light went green and the accident had not occurred.
Lets roll back pre 2007. Overtaking in pits under SC/full yellow was common... If it wasn't, why would they bother with slick and fast pitstops.
WhiteBlue wrote:I think the guys have an attitude problem

Hamilton
"Personally I think the rule is silly. We are in the race, how can you see a red light at the end of the pitlane? But that's the rule and I accept it."
Rosberg
Throughout my carreer I have never looked for the traffic light at the pit lane exit.
So the stewards found it necessary to remind them to observe the rule. penalty fits the mistake IMO.
Yes they really prove how immature one can be. I previously said 5 place max and something lighter for Nico (green light(?) nowhere to go, but still avoidable I guess). But after those comments... they really need Public relations to answer for them in the future.

Conceptual

bizadfar wrote:
shotzski wrote:I've read some viewers' quotes from another F1 website, and they are furious with Hamilton. How come when a Mclaren car commits a mistake, people always hit out on them. People brand Mclaren with different names and say things that are irrelevant with the situation, but when a Ferrari commits it, it's just a racing incident. Thus unavoidable or not to be blamed. I know it's their opinion, but at least be rational with reasoning. They talk as if they've driven an F1 car before. All I'm saying is that, be balanced. What if Lewis was in a Ferrari, would their views of him change? Peace!
I read the first two lines and thought. If I said Lewis ploughed into the back of Sutil and Kimi smashed into the back of Lewis in Canada, you'd still get mostly the same response from spectators. But this time, in this scnario, Kimi was an idiot.

Seriously, this accident is far different than the one in Monaco. What? You expect 22 drivers to go round like on train tracks (F1 Trademark at the moment primarily). It's simple physics, he caught a bump during braking on the rear and it was enough to unsettle it. Do you expect it to magically straighten up?
WhiteBlue wrote:
megz wrote:Running side by side in the pit lane has happened many a time in the past and never has there been repercussions so I think its OK as far as the rules are concerned.
yes, that is true but in this instance we had a yellow and that means overtaking isn't allowed. in the pits the manoever did not come to overtaking because Kimi accelerated to match Kubica's speed and ended in a position on the side of the BMW driver. he was using a clear slow lane for this because Ferrari are the last team in the pit lane. if the session was started then the drivers would have to line up behind each other in the pit lane. but they are allowed to use the whole pit lane during pit stops and the releasing team must make sure no collision occurs. so sitting side by side in the pit exit was legal. the question is still what would be the situation when the light went green and the accident had not occurred.
Lets roll back pre 2007. Overtaking in pits under SC/full yellow was common... If it wasn't, why would they bother with slick and fast pitstops.
WhiteBlue wrote:I think the guys have an attitude problem

Hamilton
"Personally I think the rule is silly. We are in the race, how can you see a red light at the end of the pitlane? But that's the rule and I accept it."
Rosberg
Throughout my carreer I have never looked for the traffic light at the pit lane exit.
So the stewards found it necessary to remind them to observe the rule. penalty fits the mistake IMO.
Yes they really prove how immature one can be. I previously said 5 place max and something lighter for Nico (green light(?) nowhere to go, but still avoidable I guess). But after those comments... they really need Public relations to answer for them in the future.
Or have tehir superlicense suspended for a few races due to not only utterly disrespecting the rules, but whining about a light that they KNOW IS THERE AND DICTATES WHEN THEY CAN GO!

To say that you dont care to look, or you are too busy fiddling with knobs to look is not only disrespectful to Kimi and Kubica (they were able to figure it out) but to the F1 sporting regulations.

Don't blame your gross stupidity on the regulations. It only makes you look like a retard.

Chris

nae
nae

only in the race is the red light in the pit lane a rarity
every testing and practice session the red light is the
indicator of the track being open or closed, in fact it
is the track directors last means of comunication with the
teams /drivers
even in qually the red light has and important role to play
(see how they all line up waiting for it to change)

having done a few track days the red light at the end of the
lane is sometimes the only indication as to whats going on

it MUST be obeyed (if you want to come back and play again)

so for the drivers to try and play it down is disturbing to
say the least [-X [-X :^o
..?

bizadfar

Conceptual wrote:Or have tehir superlicense suspended for a few races due to not only utterly disrespecting the rules, but whining about a light that they KNOW IS THERE AND DICTATES WHEN THEY CAN GO!

To say that you dont care to look, or you are too busy fiddling with knobs to look is not only disrespectful to Kimi and Kubica (they were able to figure it out) but to the F1 sporting regulations.

Don't blame your gross stupidity on the regulations. It only makes you look like a retard.

Chris
I dont know what the hell you're referring to me for, you either had a big misread or bit to drink.
I already mentioned if Nico and Lewis are going to talk publicly like that, they need to hire PR ppl, as in they are incredibly stupid for saying that and I'd send em to the back of the grid or fine $.

Belatti

sebbe wrote:Belatti, Lewis didn't choose to hit Kimi; he just went left to the slow lane where NO CAR SHOULD BE. If Kimi had queued behind Kubica and Lewis had approached at the same speed then no accident would have happened!
He would have exited the pits with red light and then he would have given a black flag.

If you see two cars side by side at the end of the pits you assume the car in Kubica's place had stalled and Kimi is passing him on the left. That's another possible explanation. Not very likely due to the fact that Lewis wasn't paying attention.
You may have got a point, men. To make it completely we would have to see if Kimi should queue behind Kubica or Kubica queue behind Kimi, because honestly, I don´t remember if Kimis car went out of pits just aside Robert or after him.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Conceptual

bizadfar wrote:
Conceptual wrote:Or have tehir superlicense suspended for a few races due to not only utterly disrespecting the rules, but whining about a light that they KNOW IS THERE AND DICTATES WHEN THEY CAN GO!

Chris
I dont know what the hell you're referring to me for, you either had a big misread or bit to drink.
I already mentioned if Nico and Lewis are going to talk publicly like that, they need to hire PR ppl, as in they are incredibly stupid for saying that and I'd send em to the back of the grid or fine $.
You said they need PR ppl to speak for them, and I said "Or they need their super license suspended..."

Maybe YOU are the one drinking too much?

Chris

nae
nae

drinking to much

that will be me

after all i am scottish :lol:
..?

WhiteBlue

nae wrote:drinking to much

that will be me

after all i am scottish :lol:
enjoy a lovely malt then!!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

nae
nae

I most certainly can do
not my preferred tipple
but any port in a storm

anyway i cant believe lewis said this
With the car we have right now there is no stopping us
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=42965

not even a red light will stop us now

only the red team can stop me now

i could go on but i wont
..?

RacingManiac

Belatti wrote:
sebbe wrote:Belatti, Lewis didn't choose to hit Kimi; he just went left to the slow lane where NO CAR SHOULD BE. If Kimi had queued behind Kubica and Lewis had approached at the same speed then no accident would have happened!
He would have exited the pits with red light and then he would have given a black flag.

If you see two cars side by side at the end of the pits you assume the car in Kubica's place had stalled and Kimi is passing him on the left. That's another possible explanation. Not very likely due to the fact that Lewis wasn't paying attention.
You may have got a point, men. To make it completely we would have to see if Kimi should queue behind Kubica or Kubica queue behind Kimi, because honestly, I don´t remember if Kimis car went out of pits just aside Robert or after him.
Ferrari is at the end of the pitlane(or beginning, as the case for certain tracks), which they won the position by winning the WCC the previous season. This gives them an advantage on exiting the pitlane as they don't have another pit in front of them and they don't need to avoid running over other's pitbox. From this vid(around 1:45 in is where you can see the timing of the exit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QLXJDQCL8I) Kubica and Raikkonen basically finished the stop at the same time neither one "have to" yield(eventually one will have to yield as the actual pit exit narrows to one lane when it merges to the track, if the light was green)....

Sure if Kimi wasn't there Ham wouldn't have hit him and he would've been able to stop, but he should've seen the 2 slow/stopped car from a mile away and not hit the brake so late that he would not be able to stop on cold tire.....

FLC
FLC

nae wrote:I most certainly can do
not my preferred tipple
but any port in a storm

i could go on but i wont
It was even better one sentence before that:
The fact is we destroyed everyone this weekend
Literally?! Well, just KR...

I guess one area McLaren isn't working on is PR. Ever since the spy scandal it just sucks.

WhiteBlue

FLC wrote:
nae wrote:I most certainly can do
not my preferred tipple
but any port in a storm

i could go on but i wont
It was even better one sentence before that:
The fact is we destroyed everyone this weekend
Literally?! Well, just KR...

I guess one area McLaren isn't working on is PR. Ever since the spy scandal it just sucks.
bishop @ work

google the story of his start