Spanish GP 2009 - Circuit de Catalunya

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ben_watkins

Re: Spanish GP 2009

It's hard to see the cause when you have so many cars involved.. Shame it took so many cars out really..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

vyselegend

Rosberg ran wide initially because Alonso left him no room (which isn't a critic, he was in his right).

Agree it was a racing incident, but it did cost 4 or 5 Knock outs. (was Kovalainen problem related to the first corner clash?).

But that's what we get when first turn offers only one line. (Indiannapolis was infamous for that, with a similar turn in than Barcelona. Another exemple is Interlagos)

roost89

vyselegend wrote:Agree it was a racing incident, but it did cost 4 or 5 Knock outs. (was Kovalainen problem related to the first corner clash?).
Kovaleinen lost 1st-4th gear, then shifted into 6th then lost most of the rest of the gears, 4th came back to him so he limped back to the pits.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Jersey Tom

vyselegend wrote:Ferrari need to get their act together. Now that they have spent billions on the F60 to make it competitive rather than focusing early to 2010, it will be pure loss if they fail to capitalise on their pace.
Oh really. Don't be too sure about that.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

djos

Awesome race, it was so nice to see Webbo get a great strategy for a change which he fully capitalized on to grab 3rd from under the nose of Massa & Vettel! =D>

As a Massive Webber & RBR fan Im a very happy boy right now. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

djos

roost89 wrote:I want to see Mark vs Fernando again! Mark made a lightning decision choice when Fernando thought he had the pass completed (which he had) just didn't take into account Marks lateness on the brakes, rather tasty!
Yeah that was a dynamite pass!! I was just dissapointed that they didn't replay it in the post race interviews for him. :mrgreen:
"In downforce we trust"

roost89

djos wrote:
roost89 wrote:I want to see Mark vs Fernando again! Mark made a lightning decision choice when Fernando thought he had the pass completed (which he had) just didn't take into account Marks lateness on the brakes, rather tasty!
Yeah that was a dynamite pass!! I was just dissapointed that they didn't replay it in the post race interviews for him. :mrgreen:
Marks car was damaged from early on in the race. The rear lacking downforce, front wing downforce was increased to compensate, so it's even better, a damaged car doing such a pass.

Just listening to the BBC Forum, EJ is being owned by Brundle and DC! I'd like to see Ant there too :)

Also, at the start of the race Lewis spotted the accident long before Bourdais (whom he was side-by-side at the time), he was on the anchors while Bourdais seemed to speed off. I think that definetly saved Lewis from some serious damage.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

ISLAMATRON

I think Lou just saw the cloud of dust and decided to back off.

Piquet running Lou off the road at the start and weaving from side to side into turn 1 was very dangerous... He deserves a fine.

Great strategy by Webbo's side of the RBR garage. Vettle doesnt seem to really push hard to pass, last week held up by Hamilton, this week by Massa... He needs to get some of that Webbo passing gusto.

Good analysis Bar555, gives me something to look deeper into in a generally boring race.

timbo

bar555 wrote: Here is what i believe : Brawn team stole victory from Barrichello in favor of his teammate
Pretty much seems like that. Well, you gotta understand Ross. It looks like RBR will catch up when it would have DDD and others are not too far, it is good to have one driver gaining maximum points available, but jeez, do I have a heart for Rubens...

ben_watkins

timbo wrote:
bar555 wrote: Here is what i believe : Brawn team stole victory from Barrichello in favor of his teammate
Pretty much seems like that. Well, you gotta understand Ross. It looks like RBR will catch up when it would have DDD and others are not too far, it is good to have one driver gaining maximum points available, but jeez, do I have a heart for Rubens...

I doubt that.. Rubens said he had loads of understeer on his 3rd set of tyres.. Otherwise he would have run off with it. Both Brawn's were running for a 3 stop. They changed Jenson on to a 2 stop to cover the bases.. But due to Rubens' slow 3rd set of tyres, he came second..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

WhiteBlue

Rubens may keep his mouth shut to secure a drive next year. Brawn may be inclined to attract a boy wonder with Button good enough to play the lead driver. So he is now towing the party line to earn brownie points perhaps. I could be wrong but it would make sense.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

timbo

ben_watkins wrote:
timbo wrote:

I doubt that.. Rubens said he had loads of understeer on his 3rd set of tyres.. Otherwise he would have run off with it. Both Brawn's were running for a 3 stop. They changed Jenson on to a 2 stop to cover the bases.. But due to Rubens' slow 3rd set of tyres, he came second..
Well, this opinion has more weight as it doesn't imply conspiracy :D
Still I feel for Rubens, the whole weekend looked like he was better than Button, yet it was Button gathering all the fruit...

Giblet

ISLAMATRON wrote: Piquet running Lou off the road at the start and weaving from side to side into turn 1 was very dangerous... He deserves a fine.
I agree completely. That was a lame move by Piquet.

I thought the stewards would have put the investigation note on the screen for that one.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

sstanescu

No matter how I like Rubens, Ross Brawn is a very cunning man. He knows how dearly he would miss those couple of points at the end of the season. So if he wants to grab the championships, Rubens shall be sacrificed (again ?!?) to allow Jenson a shot at the top spot. Some teams will rebound sooner or later, so 2 points extra will be handy.

He played Rubens this time? Maybe. But also Jenson took the top spot in qualy with a lap which could have been better.

just my 2 cents

roost89

timbo wrote:
I believe RBR are already there. They just can't get a chance to show it due to poor qualifying or being stuck behind slower cars with a "turbo button" as Rubens calls it.
Ferrari have definetly made a big-step forward this race, I expect a better all-round result at the next race and as DC was saying, I suspect RBR may go even more agressive than they are just now, in terms of strategy.