Spanish GP 2009 - Circuit de Catalunya

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
donskar
donskar

Re: Spanish GP 2009

DaveKillens wrote:
Did Brawn "adjust" the finishing order to make sure the driver's points leader got maximum points? I believe so.
Agree completely. And I have no problem with having a #1 driver. Is there a sport where every participant is utterly equal?

Says something about F1, no? This minor issue seems to be the main talking point today. Brawn wants to win BOTH the WCC and WDC. Done and done. The season is over. Now we can talk about Webber, the Johnny Herbert of his generation; forever brides maid Barichello; and who will be fired at Ferrari. Competitive racing at the front of the field? Uh, no.

Well, we can always share our opinions on who will finish third in the WDC (Vettel gets my vote) and who will end up #2 in the WCC (RBR beats out Toyota, I think).
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

RH1300S
RH1300S

NormanBates wrote:by the way, do after-race weights get published anywhere? apart from the fact that massa could be disqualified, I'd like to know how much an F60b weights with absolutely no fuel (some weeks ago I pondered the wondered whether any team had thought of running a lighter car and finishing the race with 15-20kg of fuel onboard in order to get to the 605kg limit: it would screw the weight distribution a little bit, but should make them faster in the middle section of a race - and for what I read in the regulations they would only get disqualified if the car stopped in the middle of the race in a moment when it carried little fuel, which is a "did not finish" anyway - goes against the spirit of the rules but who cares now)
I am pretty sure that the scrutineers can demand that the car is pumped dry when weighed.

If I recall correctly - this was how Honda got caught a few years back with the "extra" tank of fuel. Which allowed them to effectively run light during a race - this showed up in the laptimes.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

605 kilo is the dry weight....so they check that without the fuel in the car....

that's also why you want to get as much pickup as you can on the in-lap before the end....rubber to weight a bit...

I am sure there are rules preventing this, but whats stopping someone with lighter wheels during the race? It'll mess up your damping and wheel control a bit I think, but you can probably run underweight....

Richard
Richard

donskar wrote:Now we can talk about Webber, the Johnny Herbert of his generation; forever brides maid Barichello; and who will be fired at Ferrari. Competitive racing at the front of the field? Uh, no.

Well, we can always share our opinions on who will finish third in the WDC (Vettel gets my vote) and who will end up #2 in the WCC (RBR beats out Toyota, I think).
Yup, that's where it gets interesting. At least Barrichello gets to be bridesmaid, Kovi gets to the church too late for that. Kimi for the chop. Couldn't drive in a straight line in the wet last year, but had fight in the dry. Can't show any passion this year, so why bother any more? At least Massa has fire.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

The FIA also require 1KG of fuel drained from the car to test post race. 2 cannisters are filled from the remaining fuel, 1 for the team, one for the FIAsco.

No word anywhere about Massa's result being dropped due to being underweight. AFAIK Kimi was the only one runnig the b spec chassis, as Massa is that much lighter than him, the old spec chassis was no problem for him..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Also remember that the light weight chassis is not to be lighter in race weight, just that you get more ballast to play with with KERS on board when you have a heavier driver....

The cars are ballasted up to 605kg with driver with or without KERS. The lightweight moniker kinda confuses the picture...

PlatinumZealot

PNSD wrote:
n smikle wrote:They screwed Rubens over meng for that Damn Button.. It's a good thing I only watched the last thirteen laps, I realized the race was a snooze fest.
Im sorry but having only watched the last 13 laps how can you possibly come to the conclusion Rubens was screwed over?
Rubens Face had "screwed over" written all over it!
All i needed to see was the after race interview..

Down with Button!!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

NormanBates

ok, thanks for all the replies

I thought they weighted the cars just as they finished the race; if they take out all the fuel first, it's a no go (unless you go the really nasty way, as honda did: now I understand what they were doing, I didn't get it before)

axle
axle

n smikle wrote:
PNSD wrote:
n smikle wrote:They screwed Rubens over meng for that Damn Button.. It's a good thing I only watched the last thirteen laps, I realized the race was a snooze fest.
Im sorry but having only watched the last 13 laps how can you possibly come to the conclusion Rubens was screwed over?
Rubens Face had "screwed over" written all over it!
All i needed to see was the after race interview..

Down with Button!!
Berk...what a stupid reaction, the laptimes of Rubens dropped off, his tyres wern't so good.

It's a shame for him, that's all.
- Axle

PlatinumZealot

Button is going down in Monaco!!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

transporter
transporter

I surely all members agreed good strategy by Ross Brawn to arrange Rubens was second, now we can discuss about M.Webber was a suddenly driver. When starting to finish Stint 1, he followed in 5 drivers. But I don't know why in Stint 2 he out lap first Massa and Vettel. It is a very very good RBR strategy but I can't catch up when watching on StartSport. Who can analyze?

Miguel
Miguel

transporter wrote:I surely all members agreed good strategy by Ross Brawn to arrange Rubens was second, now we can discuss about M.Webber was a suddenly driver. When starting to finish Stint 1, he followed in 5 drivers. But I don't know why in Stint 2 he out lap first Massa and Vettel. It is a very very good RBR strategy but I can't catch up when watching on StartSport. Who can analyze?
It's not too difficult with live timing. The hard tires were around 0.5s slower a lap than the soft ones. Add the fuel penalty to that, and you see why Mark Webber was almost 2s a lap faster than both Massa and Vettel after their second stop. This is also the reason why I think Rubens was robbed the win. I feel his second stint was two-three laps too short.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr