British GP 2009 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: British GP 2009

Mark Webber is a good racer, but he has a cruel tongue. Remember how he has treated previous teammates? Pizzonia called Pizza boy? Cruel and unwarranted. But I do agree that Kimi did screw up his qualifying lap at the end. But then again, I blame the regulations as much as Kimi. I cannot understand how a perfectly working car is allowed to cruise back to the pits during qualifying. And worse, during the last two minutes.
During the closing stages of the race, it was very interesting to watch Button rapidly close up on Rosberg. But sadly, once influenced by the preceding car's aero, Button was stuck and stalled in his quest to move up in positions.
It was really nice to see the Force india cars doing more than filling the rear of the grid. Fisi came home with a well-earned 10th. Well done.
Anyone else watch Hamilton do a bit of crowd-pleasing on the cool-down lap? Burnouts and all that stuff. I would love to be around when Hamilton returned to the team and encountered any of the drivetrain engineers. "Dude, that engine and gearbox isn't replaceable, we still need them."
Maybe a bit late in the season, but we finally have a real competitor to the Brawns. Bottom line, the Red Bull cars owned the weekend. Mateschitz's vision is coming to fruition. He has quality drivers, and now, a killer car, courtesy of Newey. Let's see, Red Bull started Formula One racing in 2005, and now they have a competitive team and car. Five years, it can be done in five years, did you hear me Toyota?
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

donskar
donskar

Conceptual has saved me some typing:
There is also the fact that Vettel has 3 race wins in his short career, to Webber's ZERO. And Vettel's first one came in a Torro Rosso!

I like Mark, but I hate the apologists that make his lackluster career other peoples' fault...
Webber is a fine, professional F1 driver, meaning his ability is beyond what we could even dream of. But Vettel (and several others) are better. That'sot an attack on Webber.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Scotracer
Scotracer

This saves a new thread for my pics. I took 700 total ( :oops: :lol: ) so will just stick up a few random ones. My seat was awesome 8)

Lewis Hamilton in the safety car

GP2 Grid

Jackie Stewart in his old Matra

It's a great camera (Canon 350D for teh geeks out there) but I am shonky with it :lol:
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

New Data, totally updated from Turkey and Silverstone.

Direct Link: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/I ... rR8GBR.jpg

So far; Kubica, 3 blown engines. Sutil and vettel, 2 blown. Toyota and Ferrari most relyable. STR In best shape for engines. Mercedes engines all in good shape, minus Sutil.

Giblet
Giblet

Nice shots scotracer. Very nice.

Things like Stewart lapping in his old Matra, are the kinds of things we don't get to see on TV, or even know happen.

I also notice how much brighter the colors are when taken with a good still camera. I have a pretty OK TV, but TV's don't accurately produce fluorescent colors like these. I forget that Vodafone is not red. It's the sun sensitive reddish orange that my old electric guitar was.

Your seat was aces.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Paul

Scotracer, do you plan to upload them somewhere? :roll: I would really like to see them all.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Paul wrote:Scotracer, do you plan to upload them somewhere? :roll: I would really like to see them all.
I'll have a think about uploading to my Photobucket account...but at 700 it may take a while!

I need a new lens for my camera as it's only 55mm and couldn't really zoom enough.

Scotracer
Scotracer

I've uploaded a few to Photobucket. I'll upload overnight since it'll take forever.

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/rr213/Scotracer/

Enjoy. There are some of my Integra Type R in there too :D

Something to note: We were almost back to 2004 times this year at Silverstone. Was it due to conditions (coolish) or was it down to extra mechanical grip in the slow corners whilst similar downforce levels to 2008 (according to Scarbs) for the fast ones?

ISLAMATRON

donskar wrote:Conceptual has saved me some typing:
There is also the fact that Vettel has 3 race wins in his short career, to Webber's ZERO. And Vettel's first one came in a Torro Rosso!

I like Mark, but I hate the apologists that make his lackluster career other peoples' fault...
Webber is a fine, professional F1 driver, meaning his ability is beyond what we could even dream of. But Vettel (and several others) are better. That'sot an attack on Webber.
I find it highly ironic that 2 guys with which I had lengthy arguments with who are opposed to the winner take all WDC system wish to characterize Webber's whole career by the 1 fact that he has no wins.

Panis had 1 win, as does Trulli, Fisi has 3 wins, 1 in a Jordan, Heikki has 1, does that make any of them better than Webber?

Here's the best way to show you that characterizing Webber's career by a lack of wins is foolish at best... DC his teammate at RBR has a whopping 13 wins, more than 4 times as many as Vettle, was DC better than Webber?

Webber is a very good driver who has had shitty cars and even worse luck, the fact that he has no wins shines worse on his management than it does on him, Even when Flav had the chance to place him at Renault he didnt do it, probly because he knew Alonso would have trouble with beating Webber.

Yes, Vettle has 2 very good wins this year, beating Webber to the flag both times, but Webber has definatly made less mistakes, and had worse luck. If the RB5 continues dominating like it has in Silverstone, Webber will get that first win, will he suddely then be a good driver? Or will he still be the same guy we been watching destroy his teammates(until now) for these last 7 years?

WhiteBlue

I do not often speak up on issues of comparing drivers. So I will keep this short. The best drivers are usually distinguished by the speed they rise through the lower echelons and formulae and mate with the best F1 cars and teams. Vettel isn't doing so bad in that regard. I'm well pleased.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ray

ISLAMATRON wrote:probably because he knew Alonso would have trouble with beating Webber.
:lol: :lol: Wow, you really know how to say stuff that is pure gold. Alonso? Have problems beating Webber? :lol: That's awesome. I can't wait for the rebuttal that includes him being 'destroyed' by a rookie. That's going to be great. Webber is my second fave after Alonso, but he would get his ass beat against Alonso any day of the week in any car. I'd bet money on that.
ISLAMATRON wrote: Yes, Vettle has 2 very good wins this year, beating Webber to the flag both times, but Webber has definatly made less mistakes, and had worse luck. If the RB5 continues dominating like it has in Silverstone, Webber will get that first win, will he suddely then be a good driver? Or will he still be the same guy we been watching destroy his teammates(until now) for these last 7 years?
THAT I 100% agree with. Absolutely correct assessment. I said that all along about Alonso at McLaren. Yeah Hammy got the best of him on some days, but everybody acted like the dude had a labotomy and forgot how to drive a racecar completely, which was way off base. But then again, what about Vettels two engine kabooms? That's pretty rotten luck.

Does anyone know what happened to Sutil? The Speed guys were saying it might have been an overcorrection and a possible failure of some sort, but looks to me he had either a tire going down on the right rear because of the left front coming off the ground or something in the suspension failed. Anyone know?

ISLAMATRON

Most reports Ive read said brake problems, for Sutil, maybe even total brake failure.

Until we see Webber & Alonso in the same car at the same time, it would be hard to tell, even then because Alonso would throw a hissy fit if the car wasnt designed around him. I remember Alonso having trouble consistently beating Truilli, or was that Trulli having trouble consistently beating Alonso? And we saw Alonso vs the rookie... Alonso has shown holes in his armor.

Vettles 2 engine kablamos will catch up to him later on in the year... if the championship even gets close tht may be a big factor later on in the year.

tk421

***duplicate***
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

ringo

All i can say about the matter is that Vettel is faster than webber overall.
His qualifying lap was the best of the season, the way how he took that turn one... =P~

What was Nakajima doing? he managed to finish but from 5th to 11th? what the hell?
I know it was too good to be true, he was actually running pretty well in the first stint.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Webber is no match for Vettel.. Webber may be more experienced and level headed, but he cannot compare to Vettel's raw speed. That is why Vettel will put Webber in his place as the #2 driver; when Vettel completes a good race he scores big! so he doesn't need to be as consistent.
In fact sometimes I feel sorry for Webber when he comes up with all these excuses :roll: For example even if Kimi gets penalized, how is that going to help him win the race?! LOL poor Webber..He allows a kid to come in and take all the glory :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏