British GP 2009 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
bjpower

Re: British GP 2009

Giblet wrote:Alonso and Webber both being Flav's drivers, you would think that Flav would know intimately which one is actually quicker/better, and choose that as his number one driver for his Formula 1 team.

Oh wait.... :)
because he did such a good job choosing the 2nd driver.

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:
djos wrote:I hate to correct you Mate, but for sentimental reasons (Williams + AJ = Legend in Aus) he went against Flav's wishes and accepted the Williams Drive.

That is why he said (when leaving Williams) that this time he wasn't going to be ignoring Flav's advice.
What were Flav's wishes in 2005? Did he offer him the seat next to Alonso? Or did he think Fisi was a better choice? What other choices did Webbo have at the end of 2004?
And then why didnt Flav offer him the seat to replace Alonso at Renault(in 2007) instead of packaging him with the engines to RBR?
im not sure to be honest.
"In downforce we trust"

firefly

djos wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
djos wrote:I hate to correct you Mate, but for sentimental reasons (Williams + AJ = Legend in Aus) he went against Flav's wishes and accepted the Williams Drive.

That is why he said (when leaving Williams) that this time he wasn't going to be ignoring Flav's advice.
What were Flav's wishes in 2005? Did he offer him the seat next to Alonso? Or did he think Fisi was a better choice? What other choices did Webbo have at the end of 2004?
And then why didnt Flav offer him the seat to replace Alonso at Renault(in 2007) instead of packaging him with the engines to RBR?
im not sure to be honest.
I heard that Flav did offer him a seat at renault in 05 but turned it down because he didn't want interfere with flavio's "favourable driver" approach.

Flav wanted Kovalainen because he probably saw him as a viable alternative who's proven himself in testing with previous years with the team. That and the fact that he's much cheaper than webber because he was considered as a rookie, soo i think flav was money conscious.

Giblet

bjpower wrote:
Giblet wrote:Alonso and Webber both being Flav's drivers, you would think that Flav would know intimately which one is actually quicker/better, and choose that as his number one driver for his Formula 1 team.

I agree totally with that line, but then again your reply is likely sarcastic as you didn't agree with me. If you have a number one driver system in your team, and not equal footing, as Renault appears to have, then you want someone like Fisi, or Kovi, or Piquet, Webber, who tests very well but doesn't seem to have the little bit extra in race and quali like Alonso, or Hamilton, or Schumi.

If you have an equal footing team for drivers, then his choice as second driver, again assuming sarcasm on your part, then these drivers were not good choices, but i don't think Renault runs that way.

That's just my opinion.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

bjpower

Giblet wrote:
bjpower wrote:

I agree totally with that line, but then again your reply is likely sarcastic as you didn't agree with me. If you have a number one driver system in your team, and not equal footing, as Renault appears to have, then you want someone like Fisi, or Kovi, or Piquet, Webber, who tests very well but doesn't seem to have the little bit extra in race and quali like Alonso, or Hamilton, or Schumi.

If you have an equal footing team for drivers, then his choice as second driver, again assuming sarcasm on your part, then these drivers were not good choices, but i don't think Renault runs that way.

That's just my opinion.
I understand your point and i kinda agree.
Its not good to have team mates fighting each other eg hamilton + alonso , kimi + montoya

but its not good to have the gap too big.
there are a few drivers out there that are not bad but prob not at alonsos level.
davison, glock etc.

Piquet is just not good enough.