Hungarian GP 2009 - Hungaroring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
myurr

Re: Hungarian GP 2009

I'm usually one of the first to criticize the FIA and believe that they have shown incredible bias in the past. However I believe they were right not to punish Kimi for this racing incident. The cars were 4 abreast and something had to give. Kimi was avoiding cars to his left when he bumped Vettel, it wasn't like the Webber incident at the last race where he had pretty much the whole track to himself when it looked like he deliberately bumped into Rubens.

I believe it was investigated after the race so that they could speak to the driver, although this is inconsistent with Webber at the last race.

I also really really wish they'd punished Webber, or at least the team, for the unsafe release into Kimi. They had already been reprimanded in the last race for this, and it's something the FIA should be stamping on. Whilst racing in the pits is not specifically outlawed in the rules, except for the unsafe release section, it is ludicrous that the FIA allow it. You have unprotected personnel all the way down the pit lane - cars should not be released into each others paths. Do we have to have an unfortunate accident before the FIA take responsibility for their safety?

Gonner

I've had a closer look at the start, and I actually agree that Kimi didn't deserve a penalty, I'll edit my previous post.

But I still don't understand why he didn't get anything in Germany. Maybe I'm blind but I've been looking through the news and I haven't find anything on that matter. For Webber penalty, I think the fact that he ruined Lewis' race was another reason, even if , in my opinion, he didn't deserve it.

For Webber ( in Hungary ), they've " warned " the team ( again ... ). I agree with you that it can be very dangerous.

ringo

_____ wrote:He still has a lot to prove to me to gain my respect. Right now, he is just a lucky driver with a great car last season (which he almost blew!) and a magic boost button this season.
You are a hopeless case; can you appreciate what the man did in his first year?
Just take a few minutes and think about it.

Alonso was man handled in the race today. The Merc was not the best on the track either. It was drivable and was driven consistently by a very good driver. You are just jealous that Hamilton is the center of attraction in the sport because of his driving style and ability to pull daring maneuvers out of thin air even when he is not winning.
Suddenly the mclaren is a magic car and is the best car on the field :roll:
Why don't you look on Kovi's finish and apply the same logic?

Hamilton will kick Alonso's, kimi's and Vettel's ass again next race!...oh yeah Alonso won't be racing next time. [-X :lol: neer neer.
(*no disrespect to Alonso, i would like to see renault race; but saying this just to stick it too you*)
For Sure!!

ringo

Gonner wrote:I've had a closer look at the start, and I actually agree that Kimi didn't deserve a penalty, I'll edit my previous post.

But I still don't understand why he didn't get anything in Germany. Maybe I'm blind but I've been looking through the news and I haven't find anything on that matter. For Webber penalty, I think the fact that he ruined Lewis' race was another reason, even if , in my opinion, he didn't deserve it.

For Webber ( in Hungary ), they've " warned " the team ( again ... ). I agree with you that it can be very dangerous.
What was the swerving for at the start? was kimi drinking again?
For Sure!!

Gonner

ringo wrote:
Gonner wrote:I've had a closer look at the start, and I actually agree that Kimi didn't deserve a penalty, I'll edit my previous post.

He didn't have much room and Webber in front of him. If anyone is able to watch this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQx1XbCee4 ) , maybe we could have a clearer view ( I can't, I'm restricted by laws on author rights in France ).

Speaking about France, I bring here another comment on the race. Really nice move from Toro Rosso. We saw that both drivers were doing really well... They got lapped by everyone except Fisico. Bourdais surely would have done better than Buemi, because you couldn't do worse.

myurr

stl0 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Hamilton pitted after Kimi & Webbo who both had more fuel, better tire management? or better fuel millage in the MERC?
So you noticed that too? Based on Q3 weights it looks like the Merc (in the Mclaren at least) gets excepetional mileage. With the same consumption as the red bull LH should have been in on 17, and at least one lap before Webber. When did he finally pit? I think it was 19, but maybe even 20.
It was lap 20.

I think that it was partly that Lewis was cruising behind Alonso once he knew he was catching him anyway, and thus turned the engine right down. He probably saved a laps worth of fuel there with the other lap perhaps being efficiency of the Mercedes engine (after all it would make sense to work on this, both as a desirable trait but especially with next years ban on refueling).

Then again it's also possible that the Red Bulls both pitted a lap early - Webber to cover Raikonnen pitting, Vettel to try and get some clear air. In which case it's possible that average fuel usage on that track is lower than that assumed by those making the fuel predictions.

Shaddock

ringo wrote:

I think if Kimi had touched LH he would have been given a penalty, as Webber did when he banged Rubens. The charge down to the first corners is always going to be hectic, and accidents will happen, that's racing.

mike

ringo wrote:
_____ wrote:He still has a lot to prove to me to gain my respect. Right now, he is just a lucky driver with a great car last season (which he almost blew!) and a magic boost button this season.
You are a hopeless case; can you appreciate what the man did in his first year?
Just take a few minutes and think about it.

Alonso was man handled in the race today. The Merc was not the best on the track either. It was drivable and was driven consistently by a very good driver. You are just jealous that Hamilton is the center of attraction in the sport because of his driving style and ability to pull daring maneuvers out of thin air even when he is not winning.
Suddenly the mclaren is a magic car and is the best car on the field :roll:
Why don't you look on Kovi's finish and apply the same logic?

Hamilton will kick Alonso's, kimi's and Vettel's ass again next race!...oh yeah Alonso won't be racing next time. [-X :lol: neer neer.
(*no disrespect to Alonso, i would like to see renault race; but saying this just to stick it too you*)
its all about the car and driver combination.
Kimi, Lewis and Schumacher - oversteery
Massa and Alonso, Kovi(reault driver for years) - understeery
look at it this way
07 mclaren: comming off Kimi's oversteery driving style, naturally Lewis was able to beat Alonso, but at most the latter part of the season spa, monza sliverstone etc, Alonso was significantly faster in comparison(not saying he is better but he was less slow or even quicker at times). It proves that he is a great rookie, but not neccessary the best.
06 Ferrari: any1 remember how near the end of the season after turkey especially Massa was close to out-driving Schumacher during some races? Because the team added the 2nd flip-up to gain more rear grip and Massa was actually giving schumacher a big go. given the style of car Massa is as good as any
07 Ferrari: Massa was going quite well at the start, but as the season went on the front wing got more updates than the back and Kimi was driving better and better. Again style of car makes you win
08 Ferrari: Kimi got slower because the car was getting more rear grip than the front(the only front update that is clear to me was the slot in the nose) and the rear got pod vanes, pod vane connectors,etc and the car was design to suit the rule change(more rear grip). Kimi was actually not as bad if u consider canada, spa, french, sliverston etc all winable racing but missed out.
08 Mclaren: clearly Lewis is the number 1 can naturally they would alway try to get more front grip for him. 4 plane wings, double plane on the top, elephant ears etc. So you can not judge Kovi in a car that he is not comfortable in. And as so in 09

conclusion: Lewis need result like this more to prove that he is one of the best, i would say that Lewis driving a reault(understeery) could have gone no where. Given his car now and his fight back this is definately his best year in F1 despite the result. And we must not forget how Kimi had a problem with his car or else there could have been a better show for us.
They are all great drivers, but because of the team setup we are unable to see the best from them.
Why cant they just put Kimi and Lewis in the same team, and Alonso and Massa in the same team. Similar style, maximum spectacle, no excuses for not winning.

casper

It can always be tried in EA Sports' Formula 1 2008 in Play Station.

_____

Bwahahahaha - you guys under Hamilton's jock are funny.

modbaraban

Personally I don't like Hamilton but I must admit that yesterday he was the most complete driver on the grid (apart the from inadequate champaigne celebration :roll: ).

-KMR_NH-

Best thing of the weeked was the timing failure during Q3.
The race itself was nice, too. Hungary is usually pretty dull but this race was ok. Some nice battles. Hamilton did a very good job, so did Kimi, Rosberg and Glock.
The RBs and Brawns did look as good as I expected them, particularly Button.
Kimi Räikkönen
Nico Hülkenberg

roost89

If Massa is out next race, due to his injuries received this weekend. Who has Ferrari got to act as reserve driver?
I know the test drivers are Luca Badoer and Marc Gene. Will they get a shot at driving in the race?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Terrible3

paused wrote:I expect that RBR will also pick it's title driver after the next 2 races. If MW remains in front on Vettel by beating him at least once and not losing too many points on the other, you figure the will line up behind him for the final 5 events. Last thing they would want to do is blow it by having their drivers take each other out.
Its hard to say who they will side with. On one hand Webber has been more consistent, but Vettel seems faster ( to me at least). A lot of people point out that Vettel retires too much and has poor starts. I think a lot of that really comes down to lady luck not being on his side. Yes Monaco was clearly his fault, but that's the exception.

ISLAMATRON

Terrible3 wrote:
paused wrote:I expect that RBR will also pick it's title driver after the next 2 races. If MW remains in front on Vettel by beating him at least once and not losing too many points on the other, you figure the will line up behind him for the final 5 events. Last thing they would want to do is blow it by having their drivers take each other out.
Its hard to say who they will side with. On one hand Webber has been more consistent, but Vettel seems faster ( to me at least). A lot of people point out that Vettel retires too much and has poor starts. I think a lot of that really comes down to lady luck not being on his side. Yes Monaco was clearly his fault, but that's the exception.
So spinning out in Malaysia wasnt his fault?