Abu Dhabi GP 2009 - Yas Marina

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2009 - Yas Marina

Those blue lines are also used in Paul Ricard, i believed it helps to slow the cars down.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

deus1066
deus1066

Yeah, they made a big deal of those blue lines at paul ricard. Apparently it's some sort of super abrasive/sticky paint which coupled with the tarmac slows cars down better than gravel traps and avoids the mess being dragged onto the track and beaching of cars.

The ridge in the curb just lets the drivers know they're being naughty by straying too far and the astro turf adds to this as it has less grip then the tarmac so discourages drivers from using it.

ISLAMATRON

Wonder what that "special" blue paint does to the tires.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Don't know where else to put this so I'll put it here.

The drivers at Abu Dhabi are discussing/arguing about passing/blocking standards. This is a good discussion and it needs to happen. Aggresive and blatant blocking is becoming the norm in F1 now. I define blatant as the lead driver being somewhere he would never be if he wasn't trying to block. Making your car slightly wide in a key spot is fine, but chopping across a car that is already there to "establish your reputation" is low quality driving.

Anyway, in the context of these standards, or lack of standards, I am even more impressed with Jenson Button this season. Throughout the second half of 2009 he was always doing around 2 high-level passes per race and he never had a problem. It's not just that he avoided giving chop-blocks, he also successfully navigated and passed a field full of chop-blockers. His patient pass on Kobayashi in Brazil was the perfect example of championship caliber driving. I love Hamilton, but he has never shown that kind of poise late in a championship hunt. Well done Jensen.

StrFerrari4Ever

Since it's the end of the season we all need something that will help us lighten up check this out haha[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2CTm0ao ... re=related[/youtube]

ISLAMATRON

bill shoe wrote:Don't know where else to put this so I'll put it here.

The drivers at Abu Dhabi are discussing/arguing about passing/blocking standards. This is a good discussion and it needs to happen. Aggresive and blatant blocking is becoming the norm in F1 now. I define blatant as the lead driver being somewhere he would never be if he wasn't trying to block. Making your car slightly wide in a key spot is fine, but chopping across a car that is already there to "establish your reputation" is low quality driving.

Anyway, in the context of these standards, or lack of standards, I am even more impressed with Jenson Button this season. Throughout the second half of 2009 he was always doing around 2 high-level passes per race and he never had a problem. It's not just that he avoided giving chop-blocks, he also successfully navigated and passed a field full of chop-blockers. His patient pass on Kobayashi in Brazil was the perfect example of championship caliber driving. I love Hamilton, but he has never shown that kind of poise late in a championship hunt. Well done Jensen.
Seems like you forgot Spa where he tried to overtake Heikki, but smartly backed off but in doing so moved onto Grosjean's line causing a pile up.

His pass on Kobay was not at all impressive, and not that patient, clearly you missed how he dove down the inside of Kobay at turn 1 only to slide wide while Kobay repasssed him. Or maybe he was too patient after sitting behind him for 20 or so laps, which allowed both Vettle & Hamilton who started behind him to finish ahead of him.

Nothing about Button says good passer, but he did do a hell of a good job complaining over the radio about Kobay's blocking, which was clear to anyone watching.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Not as flat as a pancake as i thought it was:

Start/Finish straight & Turn 1:

Tunnel & Pit exit:

More akin to a football park:

From Toyota:

From Renault:

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I would have gone with a different irrigation system but whatever...

Thanks for pics ESP. I don't believe I had noticed the elevation changes before.

And are the grandstands facing east? Because if they are there's going to be a lot of sun glare hitting the spectators head on.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

jddh1

mx_tifosi wrote:I would have gone with a different irrigation system but whatever...

Thanks for pics ESP. I don't believe I had noticed the elevation changes before.

And are the grandstands facing east? Because if they are there's going to be a lot of sun glare hitting the spectators head on.
To avoid the sun on the spectators' faces I would definitely make the GS face East. Let's remember, the race is in the late, late afternoon. That means you have to face West to see the sun.

With that said, I'd much rather have the spectators face the sun than the pits, as the teams are working. Nevertheless, it would be so late the buildings will be in the shade from the one in front, whichever way they are facing.

Belatti
Belatti

Check how should be done :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEZEFZAr ... L&index=13[/youtube]
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

djos

StrFerrari4Ever wrote:Since it's the end of the season we all need something that will help us lighten up check this out haha[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2CTm0ao ... re=related[/youtube]
Awesome! thank you. :lol: =D>
"In downforce we trust"

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Oops I meant west... :lol: :oops:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ringo

should make for an interesting race for the drivers; being able to oversee their competitors circling the track.
I am starting to like this track; could it turn out to be one of the best?
For Sure!!

bill shoe
bill shoe

ISLAMATRON wrote:

Seems like you forgot Spa where he tried to overtake Heikki, but smartly backed off but in doing so moved onto Grosjean's line causing a pile up.

His pass on Kobay was not at all impressive, and not that patient, clearly you missed how he dove down the inside of Kobay at turn 1 only to slide wide while Kobay repasssed him. Or maybe he was too patient after sitting behind him for 20 or so laps, which allowed both Vettle & Hamilton who started behind him to finish ahead of him.

Nothing about Button says good passer, but he did do a hell of a good job complaining over the radio about Kobay's blocking, which was clear to anyone watching.
Button can't force goobers like Kobay to be good drivers, he can only choose how to drive around them. Button did not spin out, go off track, or hit anything. He made the pass. He won the championship.

ISLAMATRON, if you're criticizing that pass I'd hate to be a driver for any team you were managing. You'd still be better than Briatore though :P .

ISLAMATRON

Buttons passes on Grojean & Kazoo were actually better than his pass on Kobay, and yes JB did nearly lose it trying to pass Kobay on lap 23.