Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
doopie2you

When they can't win they start complaining!

Renault critical of Hamilton's weaving.

That is what the article on Autosport.com says about the weaving action of Lewis Hamilton on the straight when overtaking Petrov.

Maybe i am wrong, but that kind of actions is something i LOVE to see. THAT is action, that is taking overtaking to the limit. The fact that Petrov is following him in the weave is awesome. But why does those teams always start complaining about RULES and that it is illegal :wtf: Renault should not complain about illegal if we look at the fact that the team had no punishment for the Singapore scandal and that McLaren on a case that never been proven for REAL got a very HARD punishment :wtf:

But it are always the teams who can't win who are b*tching about those sort of actions. Webber drove his car into Hamiltons car at the Australian GP did you hear McLaren complaining about rules or something because Webber got only an official warning? NO. Because they don't B*tch about that sort of stuff, they just RACE and try to win on a racing way.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82717

"The Article"
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 05 Apr 2010, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This post and three others are from the thread about Renault critizing Hamilton's alleged blocking maneuvers.
What does IDK means?? (someone) i dont know (other dude) OMG no one knows

Pup
Pup

Re: Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

andartop wrote:
Pup wrote:99% of that passing happened in the first 1/4 of the race, and was entirely due to Hamilton's qualifying position. The only interest in the remaining race involved Button and his failing tires. And absolutely nothing happened among the top five for the entire race, except for Schumacher's retirement. Nothing has changed - without the rain on Saturday, the race would have been a snoozer.
I think your post is self contradictory: if the only interest for you came out of Lewis' and JB's performance then had the rain not messed up their quali the race would have been even more interesting as you would have had the chance to admire what the McLaren drivers would be capable of achieving against the likes of Red Bull, Roseberg and Kubica rather than the newbies, the Torro Rossos and the underperforming Ferraris!
No, if Hamilton couldn't get around a car that was 1 1/2 seconds slower than him, then I don't see why you'd think he'd fare so much better against the Red Bulls or Ferraris. My point is valid - the excitement came, as usual, from artificially mixing up the grid; not from the track or because the overtaking problem magically disappeared. Had the grid not gotten mixed up, we'd have seen the six top cars circle around the track on each other's tails in the same order they came out of the first corner, with a few position changes coming out of the pit stops and if we were lucky, one - maybe two - actual overtaking attempts among them.

In other words, same snoozefest as always.

You can always spice things up by artificially shuffling the order. I'm not saying the race wasn't interesting and fun to watch, just that we have to be honest and accept it for what it was. Giving credit to the track design, or sticking ones head in the sand about F1's overtaking problems is naive.

Mr Alcatraz

Pup wrote:
andartop wrote:
Pup wrote:99% of that passing happened in the first 1/4 of the race, and was entirely due to Hamilton's qualifying position. The only interest in the remaining race involved Button and his failing tires. And absolutely nothing happened among the top five for the entire race, except for Schumacher's retirement. Nothing has changed - without the rain on Saturday, the race would have been a snoozer.
I think your post is self contradictory: if the only interest for you came out of Lewis' and JB's performance then had the rain not messed up their quali the race would have been even more interesting as you would have had the chance to admire what the McLaren drivers would be capable of achieving against the likes of Red Bull, Roseberg and Kubica rather than the newbies, the Torro Rossos and the underperforming Ferraris!
No, if Hamilton couldn't get around a car that was 1 1/2 seconds slower than him, then I don't see why you'd think he'd fare so much better against the Red Bulls or Ferraris. My point is valid - the excitement came, as usual, from artificially mixing up the grid; not from the track or because the overtaking problem magically disappeared. Had the grid not gotten mixed up, we'd have seen the six top cars circle around the track on each other's tails in the same order they came out of the first corner, with a few position changes coming out of the pit stops and if we were lucky, one - maybe two - actual overtaking attempts among them.

In other words, same snoozefest as always.

You can always spice things up by artificially shuffling the order. I'm not saying the race wasn't interesting and fun to watch, just that we have to be honest and accept it for what it was. Giving credit to the track design, or sticking ones head in the sand about F1's overtaking problems is naive.
Totally + 1
I don't have a problem with the car that is fastest in quali, having an advantage.
Pilots with real craft, and fast cars will race to see who will get to the checkered flag first. If you don't like the format, wait a year it will change again, it always does.
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 05 Apr 2010, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ISLAMATRON

Last edited by Steven on 06 Apr 2010, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed off topic rumblings

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Whilst we are on the subject of blocking in Australia, I think you will find that Hamilton and Alonso blocked Schumacher on a fast qualifying lap but we won't say anything about Hamilton blocking will we?

And Massa blocked Button and Hamilton where? I certainly don't recall Massa weaving from one side of the track to another like he was blitzed in Melbourne.
Last edited by Steven on 06 Apr 2010, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reply on previous post and personal comments

WhiteBlue

Just_a_fan wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote: It is not! Good racing is selecting your racing line through corners in such away that the opponent is discouraged from overtaking. Changing direction on a straight is bad racing. Even one move on a straight isn't good from a fundamental point of view. We have it in the rules but it is not good for racing. Rules should help overtaking and not make it more difficult or dangerous. Drivers in front should hold their racing line on a straight. Full stop.
I can't believe I'm reading this! The driver in front should not deviate at all? Just drive in a straight line and wait for the car behind to overtake him? [-X

Overtaking is not racing; it's a part of racing. Defending your position is also a part of racing. The key is that both overtaking and defending are done safely (or as safe as we can reasonably expect young men in 200mph cars to be).

A gentle weave along the straight to try to stop a tow is safe and is part of defending. Chopping the other driver in the braking zone is not safe and should be dealt with. The rules should not help overtaking at all. They should increase the possibility of overtaking. It's up to the drivers' skills to make, and defend, a pass.

If it were up to you every driver out there this weekend would have been penalised because everyone of them moved across the track to defend a line at some point.

Listen to yourself! :roll:
I am aware that I am in a minority position but I think that defending by not holding your line on a straight should be illegal. We would have cleaner and safer racing that way. Alas, the rule is different and we have to respect the rule. I just say I would make different rules if it was up to me.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet

Then we should just have time trials, one car at a time, if there is no racing. Passing is not racing if the car in front is ont able to defend his line by making his car bigger, changing the from lap to lap to spoil the plans of the following driver, breaking the tow, or any other such moves.

The rule is too ambiguous I feel at this time. Rules aside, in a grand racing sense, I don't see what Hamilton did as wrong. People do it to me all the time in online races to try to remove the tow, and it's part and parcel to racing.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

Petrov should be penalised too. He was also committing an abnormal change of direction!
Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left. However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such more than one change of direction to defend a position, deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, :shock: are strictly prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the stewards of the meeting.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Mr Alcatraz

n smikle wrote:Petrov should be penalised too. He was also committing an abnormal change of direction!
Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left. However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such more than one change of direction to defend a position, deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, :shock: are strictly prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the stewards of the meeting.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such more than one change of direction to defend a position.
Could you give me a link that states that after the review by the stewards Petrov recieved a warning! :lol:
Thaks in advance,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's comedy bro!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pandamasque

ISLAMATRON wrote:Since you two "gentlemen" love consistancy so much I should be able to go to the Austrailia race thread and read where you guys blasted Massa for his obvious(because he took off pieces of their front wings) blocking on Button and Hamilton. Because that would be consistancy...
Pandamasque wrote:What are you on about on Massa? Can anyone give me the approx lap/time of the race when that happened? I'd like to see that.

ringo

I realize something, you have your hell in a cell, no holes barred F1 fans; then you have your training wheels, text book and knee pads F1 fans. :wink:

Conflict of interest. :lol:
For Sure!!

i70q7m7ghw

Hamilton's weaving was certainly cheeky, but not dangerous. If he had been doing that in the braking zone then that would have been dangerous - it wasn't and the stewards acknowledged this. Petrov's inexperience showed as well as he simply weaved around behind Hamilton - if he had the straight line speed to overtake he should have just done it and left Hamilton to weave around on his own. Watch it, rather than dummy left and dive right he simply follows Hamilton's weave - it's quite entertaining really :lol:

At the end of the day the judgement was made and the race is over, I am sure if Lewis get's caught out again like that he'll be punished - no doubt.

All in all not a bad race, no action at the front but I didn't expect there to be. With Ferrari and McLaren so far out of position it was Red Bull's race to lose.

The championship standings are really looking interesting now, it's so close! This new points system still needs a bit of time though, if Vettel starts dominating he could build a massive lead in no time at all. I'd still like to see a single point awarded for fastest lap, it would be interesting to see if drivers start fighting for it towards the end of a race. I guess what we might see is a bunch of cars out of the points positions pitting for new tyres before the end of the race and doing qualifying runs - could be interesting?

ISLAMATRON

Pandamasque wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Since you two "gentlemen" love consistancy so much I should be able to go to the Austrailia race thread and read where you guys blasted Massa for his obvious(because he took off pieces of their front wings) blocking on Button and Hamilton. Because that would be consistancy...
Pandamasque wrote:What are you on about on Massa? Can anyone give me the approx lap/time of the race when that happened? I'd like to see that.

Nobody is here to watch/post the race for you, and if you didnt then why are you comentating on consistancy? Be more consistant in watching the races, please. It was clear as day and replayed several times.

Pandamasque

ISLAMATRON wrote:Nobody is here to watch/post the race for you, and if you didnt then why are you comentating on consistancy? Be more consistant in watching the races, please. It was clear as day and replayed several times.
I watched the race twice and didn't spot anything. Your argument about 'that move over there' is weak unless you back it with some footage.

Last edited by Steven on 06 Apr 2010, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

mr moda

WhiteBlue wrote:

I guess that Vettel has stamped his authority over Webber and that Webber will loose the psychological battle for the championship sometime in the next three or four races.
I think that comment is a bit far fetched. Whilst Webber I am sure will be kicking himself for not shutting the door and Vettel drove a great race you cannot after 3 races say anyone has stamped their authority. Going by your reasoning we might believe that Alonso, Hamilton , Schumacer, Liuzzi Petrov etc etc just go home as they are behind their teammates in the points. Lets wait until mid season to see what happens eh?
P.S If it interests you I do believe that Vettel IS the better driver so dont even bother with the whole Australian -Webber thing.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 07 Apr 2010, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments.