Italian GP 2010 - Monza

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
fausto cedros

Re: Italian GP 2010 - Monza

marcush. wrote: very unfortunate that Button got his rear aero redressed by alonso going into the first corner...the bit he lost was not small...
It has lots to do with the outcome, i think. I was at the 1st corner and Jense had been unusually locking the front right wheel for all the race.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere" Anthony Bruce Colin Chapman

marcush.

Jenson is a hero to me the guy is calm and he does the possible on the day ...he does not stop asking questions though ...in the race he was instantly looking for an answer
just why they came out second best.
to me this was clearly Mclaren less than perfect strategy...from what we can see .Of course if he was already running on canvas due to locking the wheel too often they might have had no choice?
even thogh I did not vote for him bagging the title ..for me he´s a close second...i wonder just how competitive he´ll be in the next races.

raymondu999

Something really got me thinking. He said that Button said he called the stops (or lack of stops) in China and Australia. Then when it came to Monza, he blindly takes on the team's decision to pit him, and even after the stops he doesn't know (or pretends to not know) why they pitted. Somehow, when he wins the race, it was his call, valiantly thinking through the odds and taking the best course of action, but when the pit call (potentially) lost him the position and the race, it's the team's decision, and he was just the helpless passenger in it.

Any thoughts?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

tok-tokkie

Webber had been pushing Hulkenberg for many laps. Here Hulkenberg fails to stay on the track - he is now outside the track. I think he should be compelled to yield the place as he had left the track. He had succumbed to the pressure applied by the chasing driver & should yield the place.

ringo

raymondu999 wrote:Something really got me thinking. He said that Button said he called the stops (or lack of stops) in China and Australia. Then when it came to Monza, he blindly takes on the team's decision to pit him, and even after the stops he doesn't know (or pretends to not know) why they pitted. Somehow, when he wins the race, it was his call, valiantly thinking through the odds and taking the best course of action, but when the pit call (potentially) lost him the position and the race, it's the team's decision, and he was just the helpless passenger in it.

Any thoughts?
The team called it perfectly. As i said he would have to save fuel regardless of when he pitted. If we look on how much Alonso was gapping Button after he went into G4, no amount of staying out on the softs would help him.
The hard tyres were faster.
Jenson simply was not fast enough on the first stint. The race was lost becuase of that.
He didn't make the required time gap. His car damage is also another excuse of his that Whitmarsh didn't even care to support.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Alonso was faster throughout; he had full control of the race even though he was trailing behind Button for the first stint. IMO, it didn't matter when Button pit stopped, Alonso would always go one lap later (unless it is the second to last lap of course) and belt out that power lap. Button is fast but he is not know for pushing it to the limit when it comes to pace.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nacho

The best would have been to do what Vettel did or pit on the same lap or wait as long as Alonso pits. In the case of running right to the end Ferrari could have put could have put some pressure by pitting Massa earlier and force Button to pit.

djos

tok-tokkie wrote:Image

Webber had been pushing Hulkenberg for many laps. Here Hulkenberg fails to stay on the track - he is now outside the track. I think he should be compelled to yield the place as he had left the track. He had succumbed to the pressure applied by the chasing driver & should yield the place.
Jaime got done for exactly the same thing despite only doing it once and not gaining advantage like Hulk did, pi$$ poor stewarding imo!
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

I'm not about to go against the steward's decision as Hulkenberg is a bit of a wildcard... you can't prove that he failed to lose a place as there is just no evidence for this. He might have, would have, whatever. There is no evidence.

But I can't understand why Jaime got done in :s

Btw, I could be dreaming, but I seem to remember that a while back there was a penalty for cutting too many chicanes in Monza? Or am I dreaming? :s

Btw, does anyone know who the lady is on the FOM race highlights vid who looked alarmed when Lewis fell off the racetrack at the lesmos?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

tok-tokkie

You miss my point. He went out of bounds - he left the field of play. He failed to stay on the course. If the person trailing can keep it on the track and the person in front can't then the person behind has outperformed the other & the loser should concede the place.

The track is defined by the white lines each side. If all 4 wheels go outside the track that person should be punished. The punishment need only be applied if another driver within the slipstream of the offender manages to stay on course.

Webber was being held up by Hulkenberg. Webber out-drove Hulkenberg in this instance. The rules should be that in these circumstances Hulkenberg has to concede the position to Webber. It seems the rules are not like that but I think they should be.

horse

ringo wrote:Jenson simply was not fast enough on the first stint. The race was lost becuase of that.
And the 0.8s of extra pit stop time.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

komninosm

747heavy wrote:
komninosm wrote:He didn't really get Button. He barely passed him after the pits. He was running in clean air then, but we didn't see massively faster laps.
I don´t know what you call "massively faster" but after his pitstop Alonso laped 0,30 - 1,10 sec a lap faster then Button.
As you can see, by the quickly increasing gap.
In ten laps, he pulled a ~3 sec gap, that makes ~0,3 sec consitently quicker.
It´s not too bad IMHO

Button had more trouble passing back markers. They slowed him down more. Plus he sort of gave up imo. Ferraris weren't really faster.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

But if it was Hamilton, he would have been driving at the speed of light and would have finished in half the time!! :lol: #-o

komninosm

raymondu999 wrote:I don't get the Hamilton steering rack failure. Shouldn't the fact that the front wheels, with the additional degree of freedom provided by actually moving and steering, have helped to deflect some of the sidepod-bump energy?
It wasn't the bump to the sidepod that broke Hamilton's rod. It was the bump right after that when he slowed down and Massa accelerated and the tires touched in the moving direction.

komninosm

tok-tokkie wrote:Image

I agree, so why no penalty to Hulk guys?