Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Clydebear
Clydebear

Re: Singapore Grand Prix 2010 - Marina Bay Street Circuit

Howdy lads and lassies. A newby here...just signed up to this excellent site and great to see such knowledgable chat above. As someone who is typing this in his apartment about 2 miles from the circuit I can tell you that the excitement of "that time of year" is upon us again! :) Bring it on...and with 25 points between the top 5 drivers in the championship? How intriguing does that make it? Will someone make a "leap of faith" and try something extraordinary? And fail? Whoever said above "Watch out for Kubica. He's a streetfighter" ...I concur. In fact I'd expect Renault to do well overall. As for the top 3 teams..hmmm.... I have a sneaking feeling of a ding dong between Hamilton and Webber. It's a street circuit, it's narrow in parts, technically a bit of a bother on tyres and brakes...anything can happen...here's hoping anyway.

forty-two

Great first post Clyde! Welcome to the forum.

As an insider, can you offer any tips on the likelihood of rain during the various sessions this weekend?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Clydebear
Clydebear

Howya' Forty Two...we must have a chat later about you know what...given your handle :D
Well in general it's slightly dry-ish time of year...but having said that you just never know with Singapore. There was one cracker of a thunderstorm last Thursday from 10am-3pm. To be honest, I doubt if you'd see rain this w/e. Had a cousin in town all over the island last w/e and sun was out all the time. Will have a better idea come Thursday-ish and will post again for you.
And thanks for the welcome mate ;)

forty-two

Well, you must be a guy who really knows where his towel is eh? :lol:

Looking forward to the update later in the week. A wet night race has the potential to be an absolute stonker!

lebesset
lebesset

yes , welcome clyde

didn't I see you in a clint eastwood movie ?
getting lucky maybe ? 8) 8) 8)
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

iquark
iquark

ESPImperium wrote:If theres gonna be weather problems expect may drivers to have the electrically heated visors on, and when it comes to the visor colour, lightly smoked is the colour of choice. Many drivers take about 5 helmet choices to this race as its easier to change a helmet than a visor.

What may drivers may do is take the white visor, but use the Abu Dhabi tear offs, whitc are tinted. This way if it rains they only have to take tear offs off to get the clear vision of the white visor. Altho one thing that hasnt been looked at is the point of view that the road may have a glare on it from the lights in certain areas, and that may need a visor that is slightly smoked.

Talking of Smoked, this is making me want a Bacon Roll.
Going a touch off topic...

I find this interesting as it contradicts the amateur research I just did regarding tinted visors in varying light conditions.

I was going through the ophthalmology journals trying to pick out a new goggle tint for night/overcast skiing, and found that the current research shows that a 'smoke' (broad frequency filter) caused a decrease in contrast recognition in low/high level lighting situations. Compare this to a CP450, or other 'yellow' and 'orange' tint lenses, where studies found that the high frequency filters created better contrast recognition. Though any type of tinted lens will cause a decrease in direct contrast, and an increase in dispersion due to the dilation of the pupil, the goal will always be to maintain the highest contrast possible for the driver.

Of course, the down side to the use of a specific frequency filter was the decrease in color recognition/differentiation, but that isn't necessarily a problem for F1 racing. I seem to remember a good number of drivers trying out high contrast yellow and persimmon lenses over the past 2 years, though some were using a blanket 'smoked' lens as well. I believe that some drivers stated their preference for the 'smoke' lenses was due to the normal color differentiation provided by the broad band filter.

raymondu999

I do believe even in the dry in Singapore most drivers drive with a clear visor anyways. It was revealed last year in Martin Brundle's gridwalk.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

iquark
iquark

raymondu999 wrote:I do believe even in the dry in Singapore most drivers drive with a clear visor anyways. It was revealed last year in Martin Brundle's gridwalk.
That's what I get for havcing to watch the US broadcast. However, I do remember the comparison they did at the inaugural race in 08, where Steve went over the various tints that drivers were using. I guess the tints were not providing enough benefits to use during the race. After all, if conditions allow, clear is always better than a tint.

raymondu999

Errm... sorry. Steve?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

iquark
iquark

raymondu999 wrote:Errm... sorry. Steve?
My mistake, Steve Matchett who is the technical side of the broadcast team over here.

Back on topic, I think the smoothing which has been done on the circuit will do wonders for the Mclaren on the mechanical grip side, but not enough to pull ahead of the RB, and possibly the Ferraris. I keep thinking this every weekend, but Renault appear to have a chance at another high finish (mostly due to Kubica's talent), while the Williams will be strong as well due to the continued upgrades on the 10' car (where are they as far as development for next year?). Friday can't come fast enough.

raymondu999

The RB never looked like it has good mechanical ride though. Could it be that it just has so much downforce it just squashes those bumps?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

iquark wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Errm... sorry. Steve?
My mistake, Steve Matchett who is the technical side of the broadcast team over here.

Back on topic, I think the smoothing which has been done on the circuit will do wonders for the Mclaren on the mechanical grip side, but not enough to pull ahead of the RB, and possibly the Ferraris. I keep thinking this every weekend, but Renault appear to have a chance at another high finish (mostly due to Kubica's talent), while the Williams will be strong as well due to the continued upgrades on the 10' car (where are they as far as development for next year?). Friday can't come fast enough.
The bumps will still be there. They tried to resurface it last year and it made little difference.

forty-two

iquark wrote: Going a touch off topic...
I wouldn't call your post off topic in the slightest. On the contrary in fact, a very interesting and technical post.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

raymondu999

I thought the resurfacing made the bumps worse last year?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

donskar
donskar

I'll be interested to see how Ferrari does with their tenuous engine situation and lots of new components.

According to Autosport:
"With Ferrari's F10 likely to be well-suited to the new Singapore track, especially with a raft of aerodynamic updates including new front and rear wings, plus a new floor . . ."
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill