Abu Dhabi GP 2010 - Yas Marina Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djos

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2010 - Yas Marina Circuit

yep, the RB6 is bloody fast and Daniel is able to use it's potential .... also more rubber down = faster lap times. :)
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

Karun Chandhok was tweeting that the track was now some 3 seconds quicker... so if we take that into account Ricciardo did about a 1:41
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

The chicane after the first straight needs to be faster, right now it's a second gear turn, if it was faster say 4th, even 3rd, then then the drivers would have an even better chance to slipstream into the next corner. Another problem with the layout is the turns are not wide enough, there is only one line through, if there were more lines through the turns then they could race side by side.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

Hey all... been watching Abu Dhabi 2009 vs 2010 onboards... It seems that in 2010 the drivers are much more shy of the apex at the hairpin before the first back straight, while in 2009 they could just ride it... Hamilton and Vettel's 2010 laps are both very wide on the hairpin... anyone know why? :s
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JMN
JMN

Weight for one, EBD for another.
I believe there was a post somewhere, which examined Mark Webber's choice of line through corners. While they appeared somewhat odd, they made (if memory serves) maximum use of the EBD. Red Bull changed the engine mapping software sometime late-season to mimic the effect (different throttle usage) of such a race line. At some point it was believed it was this very update that put Vettel consistently in front of Webber, but it's difficult so say how much of it was infact down to Webber's shoulder.

edit1: Can't seem to find the post. I believe it started with a comment on JAF1 and continued on the autosport forum.
This thread http://forums.autosport.com/lofiversion ... 32030.html doesn't cover the choice of racing line specifically but it does mention it in relation to retarded ignition. It was discussed on this very forum here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8702. Couple it with http://phors.locost7.info/phors18.htm and you should have a good amount of info. I'd very much like to find you the comment mentioned above, but after half an hour on google I've given up. I destinctively remember it though.

edit2 (@raymond): Dunno what answer you're looking for then. You could say the EBD increases traction in flowing corners. Without the ever so famous comment, I won't stick my neck out, but I'd expect the EBD generally makes a racing line with slightly larger swing radius and higher speed favorable.

edit3: As for turn7, it's worth noticing quite a few people actually do hit the curb during the actual race. Secondly I imagine the cement dust laid down in turn 6 to soak up the oil from Schumacher's accident could force the drivers to change their line.
Last edited by JMN on 06 Jan 2011, 02:30, edited 2 times in total.

raymondu999

Errm.... I wasn't asking about the line in that aspect. I was asking why they all went shy of the apex. They weren't taking late apexes, they were taking a line completely away from the apex.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Richard

JMN wrote:Weight for one, EBD for another.
I believe there was a post somewhere, which examined Mark Webber's choice of line through corners. While they appeared somewhat odd, they made (if memory serves) maximum use of the EBD. Red Bull changed the engine mapping software sometime late-season to mimic the effect (different throttle usage) of such a race line.
I'd love to see more on that, any clues as to where to search?

raymondu999

I read that too in Pat Symond's piece in the F1 Racing magazine. A late apex line is much more effective at using the EBD (without any ignition overrun) as it maximises on-throttle time
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

myurr

James Allen mentioned it quite extensively in an article a while back as well. If memory serves he was saying that when Webber had his winning streak in the middle of the year he had been able to adapt his driving style, changing his line and getting back on the power much earlier in order to get the most out of the EBD. According to the article Vettel had tried to do the same but couldn't make it work for him.

Red Bull then updated the car, engine mapping, and design of the EBD to make that change in driving technique redundant which boosted Vettel's pace and gave him back the initiative. I would imagine that this would also have required Webber to make another adjustment to his driving style, which at the very least would have destabilised him for a little bit.

SiLo

godlameroso wrote:The chicane after the first straight needs to be faster, right now it's a second gear turn, if it was faster say 4th, even 3rd, then then the drivers would have an even better chance to slipstream into the next corner. Another problem with the layout is the turns are not wide enough, there is only one line through, if there were more lines through the turns then they could race side by side.
Much like the first corner at Sepang.
Felipe Baby!

wesley123

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 06 Sep 2011, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quoted spam post and response to it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender