[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

I have just started working on the intro class cars. I noticed that the provided stl files of the monitoring surfaces were not very good and updated them. You can now find rev4 of the intro car on the page.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 15:32
I have just started working on the intro class cars. I noticed that the provided stl files of the monitoring surfaces were not very good and updated them. You can now find rev4 of the intro car on the page.
Hi, which is the problem with the monitoring surfaces? They are obtained in the same way of my official car: was everything ok with that?

LVDH

They were tessellated a bit bad. But I think in the version on the page this was done by Chris. I fixed it now.

I was just post-processing the latest results from the race and noticed an issue with the post-processor. Somehow the CoP calculation is gone again.
I will fix it right away and upload the fix so hold back with downloading the new version for now.

rjsa

Question about V 2017.5: I'll be out of town for a couple of days and missed the release. I left 72 hours worth of Nurburgring sims running on 2017.4 Is it going to waste or the differences between 2017.4 & 2017.5 are subtler than the differences between 2016 & 2017?

LVDH

The fix is now up.

The changes between 2017.4 and 2017.5 are mostly a change in OF versions. The numbers will only slightly change, I have not tested extensively as I am running all of your cars for the race.
The differences will not be comparable to the jump to last year as there the major change was in the numerical schemes which affect the results a lot.

rjsa

ok ,tks

Alonso Fan

LVDH wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 17:06
The fix is now up.

The changes between 2017.4 and 2017.5 are mostly a change in OF versions. The numbers will only slightly change, I have not tested extensively as I am running all of your cars for the race.
The differences will not be comparable to the jump to last year as there the major change was in the numerical schemes which affect the results a lot.

Currently running a simulation on this blueCFD OF version and seems to be running fine for now. Am i right in assuming there's no virtual box and vm to cater for and i just have to launch the OF terminal and run the case? Because that's what i did.

Edit: Might i add it's absolutely flying through the simulation compared to the docker version of OF!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

So i successfully did a simulation (and now realise i made a silly mistake with my car) however after post processing i am not getting all the values i want. I am only seeing the exhaust flow, inlet pressure and hx mid surface flow. There is no Cl or Cd or cop
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

LVDH

Alonso Fan wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 23:54
LVDH wrote:
26 Jul 2017, 17:06
The fix is now up.

Currently running a simulation on this blueCFD OF version and seems to be running fine for now. Am i right in assuming there's no virtual box and vm to cater for and i just have to launch the OF terminal and run the case? Because that's what i did.

Edit: Might i add it's absolutely flying through the simulation compared to the docker version of OF!
As far as I understand it is ported to work under Windows. No VM needed anymore! That is what makes using it so much better.

Alonso Fan wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 05:43
So i successfully did a simulation (and now realise i made a silly mistake with my car) however after post processing i am not getting all the values i want. I am only seeing the exhaust flow, inlet pressure and hx mid surface flow. There is no Cl or Cd or cop
This is annoying. I was not feeling so well yesterday. I will check again as soon as I am in the office.

etsmc

well, this new version with the blueCFD seems to be going great on my workstation.
Without the need for VirtualBox i have been able to now use my workstation so I have gone from an old 2.4ghz core2duo with 4gb of ram to a 3.4ghz i7 with 16gb of ram.

So very happy with the new software and OF Version, no longer will I have to wait for 8hrs for the mvcr_fast option to finish :)

LVDH

Hi guys,
this race there was one car that was submitted late. The team principal has a good excuse and I know it is true and he did not work on the car the last days before the race. However as soon as he came back to his PC he submitted the car which was Monday night. Obviously he deserves a penalty. This did get me thinking about something though. We all have a normal life and sometimes things come in between and as cool as MVRC is, it is not the most important thing there is.
I would like to propose a ¨late waiver¨ you can pull once per season. If you pull this waiver in advance to the race you get the dead line extended by two days.

What do you think about this waiver idea?

And should the late team be allowed to have used it for this race although it was not announced in advance. Keep in mind, CAEdevice had a similar issue and simply submitted his car way in advance to the race.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 08:41
Hi guys,
this race there was one car that was submitted late. The team principal has a good excuse and I know it is true and he did not work on the car the last days before the race. However as soon as he came back to his PC he submitted the car which was Monday night. Obviously he deserves a penalty. This did get me thinking about something though. We all have a normal life and sometimes things come in between and as cool as MVRC is, it is not the most important thing there is.
I would like to propose a ¨late waiver¨ you can pull once per season. If you pull this waiver in advance to the race you get the dead line extended by two days.

What do you think about this waiver idea?

And should the late team be allowed to have used it for this race although it was not announced in advance. Keep in mind, CAEdevice had a similar issue and simply submitted his car way in advance to the race.
I my opinion we should just accept that car without any penalty or new rule.

A gentleman approach is better. In such cases, it would be nice to send the car in advance or to publicly ask for / agree (on the forum) a little delay.

CAEdevice

A question about the rules: may rear view mirrors be modeled in order to generate lift? I mean: not a neutral shape.

LVDH

Alonso Fan wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 05:43
It seems to work for me. Did you notice that I had to update the new version very fast? I did not give it a new version number. Maybe you can just try to download it again. Can anyone else confirm that the force plots still do not work?

CAEdevice wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 09:00
A question about the rules: may rear view mirrors be modeled in order to generate lift? I mean: not a neutral shape.
This is a question for Chris.

Alonso Fan

Ok I'll try again today
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord