[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
cdsavage

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

A quick reminder to everyone before you submit for round 2:

- Make sure you have a look at all of the legality issues from the email for round 1. If there was a minor issue in round 1 which has not been fixed in round 2, then you will get a penalty.

- Make sure you have the latest revision of the rulebook (revision 9)

- A common problem in round 1 was having the left and right sides of the heat exchangers, monitoring surfaces or inlet/outlet surfaces in the same file. As specified in K1.4, for these parts, each individual surface must be in a separate STL file. If an inlet/outlet is only made up of a single symmetrical surface that spans the center-line of the car, then it should be a single STL.

- Another common problem was K4.4. This is especially relevant if the heat exchangers, engine inlets or engine exhausts are in "unconventional" positions a long way away from the engine template - there must be sufficient space between the bodywork and the internal templates.

Zynerji

I love following this competition, and would like to ask a question.

Would it be possible to model this in the diffusor to check the wake impact? I would expect 3 stacked a few cm apart, and the same gap between the roof of the diffusor.

I know it isn't part of your competition, but this is a display of talent in modelling, so I felt it was the best place to ask.

Thank you!

variante

Zynerji wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 19:13

Would it be possible to model this in the diffusor to check the wake impact? I would expect 3 stacked a few cm apart, and the same gap between the roof of the diffusor.

http://www.nueair.com/product/images/SI ... fe_dia.jpg

I know it isn't part of your competition, but this is a display of talent in modelling, so I felt it was the best place to ask.

Thank you!
Maybe someone is already using a similar system... :D

There are lots of smart solutions that could be used, but the feasibility of most of them is limited by the strict tech regulations.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 11:43
Zynerji wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 19:13

http://www.nueair.com/product/images/SI ... fe_dia.jpg

Thank you!
Maybe someone is already using a similar system... :D
... but not into the rear diffuser.

LVDH

There are some very smart solutions on some of the cars and some work better than others. I cannot wait to see the progress when I download your submissions next Monday (yes, the date in the official email was wrong, shame on me). I was in a hurry Sunday morning as I had the chance to meet the heads behind Variante and HP-Racing that day. In Formula SAE they also do great work.
I have run quite a few checks on the new version of MantiumFlow and while I see that some numbers do change, I think it works so much better and the results look better. Which means that 2017.7 will be the version used in the race. next week I will have more time and answer more question in the forum and Q&A section. I see there is one I have not even came to have a look at yet. One thing I was so busy with will be revealed possibly tomorrow.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 18:32
There are some very smart solutions on some of the cars and some work better than others. I cannot wait to see the progress when I download your submissions next Monday (yes, the date in the official email was wrong, shame on me). I was in a hurry Sunday morning as I had the chance to meet the heads behind Variante and HP-Racing that day. In Formula SAE they also do great work.
I have run quite a few checks on the new version of MantiumFlow and while I see that some numbers do change, I think it works so much better and the results look better. Which means that 2017.7 will be the version used in the race. next week I will have more time and answer more question in the forum and Q&A section. I see there is one I have not even came to have a look at yet. One thing I was so busy with will be revealed possibly tomorrow.
Maybe we will ever organize a MVRC meeting?

LVDH

That would be more than cool. We need to find a cool event so there is something more than just a bunch of crazy CFD virtual race guys. A Formula SAE event would actually not be bad but I think the season is ending. I always had OpenFOAM conferences in mind but think they are either too expensive or too long. Maybe Formula E? What do you guys suggest?

AratzH

Formula Student Spain is next week. I happen to be a judge there....
MVRC -> TF

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
17 Aug 2017, 21:39
That would be more than cool. We need to find a cool event so there is something more than just a bunch of crazy CFD virtual race guys. A Formula SAE event would actually not be bad but I think the season is ending. I always had OpenFOAM conferences in mind but think they are either too expensive or too long. Maybe Formula E? What do you guys suggest?
The WEC prologue in Monza would have been a good idea... but there will be a LMP1 prologue in 2018? FormulaE would be great too, but a bit expensive I think. We should find another sponsor or ask CAEdevice a bigger contribution.
Another proposal I was thinking about, is that we should require the FIA to officially recongnise our challange as "Formula CFD": even more "electric" than Formula E ( joking :) )

LVDH

The FIA getting involved would be good but then also the rules will be written in French, which is not so good.

This is why I was so quiet and neglected so many things lately:
www.MantiumFlow.com

You will notice that I am again experimenting with the online support tool. If you guys prefer this, then I can make a switch. The current one for the Challenge page is good, but somehow I do not get emails anymore when new questions pop up.

AratzH

LVDH wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 15:56
The FIA getting involved would be good but then also the rules will be written in French, which is not so good.

www.MantiumFlow.com

You will notice that I am again experimenting with the online support tool. If you guys prefer this, then I can make a switch. The current one for the Challenge page is good, but somehow I do not get emails anymore when new questions pop up.

Wow! That is very impressive! I might be interested in this on a professional level. How could/should I contact?
MVRC -> TF

rjsa

It's looking good!

What templates are in the free tier?

Alonso Fan

rjsa wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 18:22
It's looking good!

What templates are in the free tier?
Am wondering the same thing
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 15:56

www.MantiumFlow.com

I might become a costumer of your in the future. Meanwhile I will ask for the trial version as soos as I will be less busy.
Since 2016 I have been thinking about a way to integrate MantiumFlow into SolidWorks, without any intermediate GUI.

CAEdevice

Returning to MVRC: I was wondering if there are news about the HX rotation. In my opinion, a good compromise would to allow only 5 positions:

- current one, normal to the flow
- rotation of +/- 45 degrees with respect to the y axis
- rotation of +/- 45 degrees with respect to the Z axis).

It should be easy to specify one of the 5 vectors in a text file (it would be enough to provide a file with all 5 vectors, asking to erase unused ones)