Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MIKEY_!

Re: Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

That's about it. The supports are also angled to send air outwards and around the car combining the cascade with the little 'inner cascade' winglets that mclaren use now.

Diffuser pics on the way...

MIKEY_!

The flap on the diffuser is HUGE since I don't know of any rule limiting it's size. Is this the next slotted diffuser??? :mrgreen: Could there soon be a flap on this flap??? :mrgreen: Anyway I can also show you the F-duct. Yes you read that right. This uses a fluid switch (like the FW F-duct) but is fed by slots in the diffuser/gearbox/diff area. The air exits a pair of holes in the endplates just under the rear wing surface. Of course it will only stall the outer section of the wing closest to the endplate but could eliminate the vortexes formed there.
There is also a slot just above the wing which feeds the same outlet as the F-duct. That (I think) will also create a vortex that would run under the wing and add DF. OK I'm not very sure about that last bit but I didn't post this stuff only to show off :lol:
Here's the slot above the wing:
It also does the job of the slots we normally see in the endplates.

raymondu999

Is the exhaust cannon in the middle channeling the same exhaust that is coming through the two "lower" side pod exhausts?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

The central exit is for the cooling air.

raymondu999

and the two exiting near the diffuser are for?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Also cooling as mentioned earlier. Too much exit volume?

bill shoe
bill shoe

Superb car. Seriously.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

MIKEY_!

Thanks bill :D

Another feature: You will notice the mirrors connect to their supports at their furthest point from the tub. This might seem a waste of time but those supports are wing shaped and force air into the low pressure area behind the mirrors, reducing the drag and wake they create.

MIKEY_!

Is there any amount of off throttle exhaust flow allowed this year, cold or otherwise? Not that there is much DF to be gained with my current setup but if none is allowed there will be a disruptive wake behind the exhaust exits that will need attention.

MIKEY_!

This is an evolution of the trick front wing footplate I discussed earlier. I call it the double footplate or DFP (cause DF is taken #-o ). OK what we have here is two footplates, one on top of the other. The image shows a cross section of the design. In black are the footplates while in grey is the main element of the FW. The upper footplate is structural and connects to the rest of the front wing in the usual way. The lower footplate only connects to the upper footplate at it's base and small flap (in red) on it's outer most part. This flap will cause the lower footplate to flex downward thus sealing the wing to the ground.

MIKEY_!

Is this legal?
The idea is to get exhaust to the diffuser via a duct (3). (1) is the exhaust exit and (2) is the cone defined by the FIA in which there can be no bodywork. (4) is a duct that sends a high speed air mass across the exhaust cone and redirects in to the number 3 duct.

One other problem: Where do we get this high speed air mass?

raymondu999

Conceptually I don't think there's any problems with it. But you'd need a pretty strong blue stream given the "no bodywork in exhaust plume" regs
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Very true, oh well.

Another one: the area ahead of the rear wheel centre line that can have hot air exits (as seen on the W02) - can that also contain air intakes?

raymondu999

You mean for feeding another radiator in the back? Or for something else?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

That's it exactly! Thinking about another radiator (a bigger one and for the engine) in the cooling exit barrel at the back. It would be separated from the already hot air from the sidepods.

This is for an upcoming preseason update that will likely include exhausts aimed at the brake duct winglets. (unless I can find that illusive high speed air mass)