Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
MIKEY_!

Re: Mikey's 2012 F1 concept

OK I want to give loads of credit to this sites own ringo for planting the seed of this idea in my head. Cable Actuated Suspension! Basically a cable system allows the forces on the suspension to be transferred to another area of the car (sidepods for example) which allows the dampers and springs etc to be moved forward in the car, slimming the rear for better performance. I'm not sure if the carbon cables I have used would be strong enough (the cables they use for F1 wheel tethers might be a better option). Here is the diagram:

I don't know much about heave springs or any finer details of F1 suspension so this is a simple concept system with a single damper/spring arrangement.
The basic idea is ringo's I've just done some thinking and this is the design I came up with. Any feedback would be helpful and I'd be grateful for it.
For the record ringo is absolutely entitled to use this on his car design if he chooses.

If others agree that this will work I will look into adding it both front and rear to my concept. :D

MIKEY_!

I think I've cracked how to blow the diffuser this year.
This uses the Coanda effect like many exhaust mounts this year however it uses intakes along the lower surface of the mounting (the area the exhaust sticks to because of the coanda effect) this can be sent anywhere on the car, has no bodywork in the exhaust cone and can get a lot more exhaust to where it is needed, since only the gas near the curved lower surface will follow it.

MIKEY_!

OK, updates for Australia. This is almost a B-spec car really, the tub would have needed crash testing again.

The nose is now thinner at it's tip so more air goes under it, and I've taken inspiration from Red Bull's letterbox nose inlet to create a much larger intake for 'driver cooling' :lol: . The driver would be very cool but this air then exits the cockpit through a hole into the sidepods where it flows over the radiators which means smaller sidepod intakes and more air to the rear. The mirror supports are shorter now as well.

This shows the modified front wing better. The flaps have been extended inboard as I have found more DF at the rear and needed to balance the car.

The rear of the car is where the major changes have occurred. I've added an intake which I think is legal (but would be happy to be proved wrong) above and behind the sidepods which houses another radiator and thus reduces the size of the sidepods. Also the new exhausts use the system I posted a diagram of a while back. Very little exhaust exits the channels I have cut into the sidepods, most goes into the intakes within the channel. This captured exhaust is then routed to the diffuser via long floor mounted pipes, just like last year. There are cutouts in the footplate to help form a vortex and a new fin on the rear floor as well.

Other changes include this new cooling exit which creates some down-wash to get more air to the beam wing. The channels in the rear wing endplates are gone replaced with a simplified endplate F-duct. Haven't made the slots yet but I'll get there eventually. The rear wing has slightly more AoA and I've made a monkey seat (not pictured) for the high DF races. KERS batteries are located low down, right across the floor and parts of the floor are made from thin heat resistant materials so the engine etc can be mounted lower without damaging the plank, I forgot to mention these last two things earlier so there you go :D

raymondu999

Can I just say - your precision modeling skills with plasticine are astounding. Come work for me, I might have a job for you :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Thanks mate!

MIKEY_!

New exhaust on the way. There was a technical directive that banned ingestion of exhausts but I have a solution... stay tuned.

MIKEY_!

There is now a slot running from the point of exhaust re-ingestion to the exit on the floor so the exhaust is technically outside the car all that time. I won't bother to post pics since it really doesn't look that different unless anyone's really interested.

CottrellGP

Loving that nose and that "snow" plough underneath, you have gave me inspiration with that nose :)
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

Here are my updates for China:
New cooling exits minimize surface area and I think reduce drag both internal and external. The shape of the bodywork in this area forces turbulent cooling air away from the bodywork and reduces drag (it's replaced with clean air) and the bodywork at the base of the sidepods can be much tighter.
New airbox means the rear wing is less obstructed by bodywork for more DF. Also I think the larger surface area of the old airbox might have reduced the amount and quality of the air reaching the engine (especially since some of that air had just come over the cockpit)
This diffuser is my interpretation of the Lotus diffuser with it's side exits. This allows the brake duct fins to work with the diffuser to extract more air from under the floor. Really not sure about the legality of this.
The exhaust has changed as my previous solution was either illegal or could be banned easily by another technical directive. It now exits from the bottom of the cooling exit in the top of the sidepod. It is aimed at the brake duct fins (the duct intake is now like the Williams ducts but wider and shorter). At higher speeds the exhaust is tuned to blow the beam wing. It's not the highest downforce system possible but it should be more stable. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

CottrellGP

Love the ideas! once again brilliant stuff, would love to see you at one of the big FSketch teams!
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

jordangp

CottrellGP wrote:Love the ideas! once again brilliant stuff, would love to see you at one of the big FSketch teams!
Breaking News!
Monster Energy Racing are delighted to confirm that MIKEY_! from F1T has joined the team, effective immediately! Welcome aboard!:)
Via @Monster_F1

MIKEY_!

I'm very happy with this. Thank-you to the Monster Energy crew for giving me this opportunity. :D

karayaone

I really really like the front wing. I will for sure use something similar for my new f1 i'm creating now (if you dont mind?)
Are you not afraid of dropping the f1 on the floor and just make it look like kubica's after canada gp crash? I would be terrified!!

WIll be checking this for the updates! Maybe you come along some new idea that amazes me again!

MIKEY_!

Sure you can use the front wing mate. There will be some updates coming next week, stay tuned...

MIKEY_!

A few small changes at the front of the car, extra slot in the top flap at the outer edge, most car have had this since last year. Elongated slot gap splitting the main plane and lower flap over a greater distance, FW f-duct intakes had to be moved inwards to make room. New pylons have 3 slots to get more air under the nose and improve flow to the rear of the car, only the forward most element of this structure is load bearing and should mean more flexing at high speed, airflow coming around the snow-plough is now less obstructed by the pylon.
I also built a short chord RW flap but it looks the same as any other wing of that design so I won't bother posting it, the vanes on the bottom of the RW endplates are now shorter so they don't obstruct airflow exiting the sides of the diffuser.