A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
silente
silente

Re: A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Hi Paul,

this is Andrea (we have been in contact via mail recently regarding your work).

i was looking to the Audi R18 suspensions and, regarding the front one, i noticed from the crash test pictures also shown by allstaruk08 that the upper A arm rear attachment is seating in a sensibly lower position than the front one.
It is something i have seen also on some F1 cars, but it seems such a big span looking to the above mentioned picture..It looks quite extreme to me.

PaulB

allstaruk08 wrote:its looking real good man! just a quick question if you knew that the floor is angled at 7º from the edge of the plank outwards. its looking flat on the pictures, iv found the regs for the floor area hope it helps

Huuuuh... Thanks for reminding me of that! =D> I completely forgot that. So I have to abrade the underside of the Radiators.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

PaulB

PaulB wrote:[...]
So I have to abrade the underside of the Radiators.
After I've recognized, that I've no chance with sandpaper, I took a saw and raged...
Result:

That's the disadvantage of my high rigid method of construction...

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

i'd think of your high rigid method of building as an advantage, it could have ripped to bits if it wasn't put together so well lol

PaulB

Another few words on my work on the cooling system of the Audi:
allstaruk08 wrote:i'd think of your high rigid method of building as an advantage, it could have ripped to bits if it wasn't put together so well lol
Well, it's actually not really a disadvantage. If the radiators aren't that rigid, maybe I would not be able to cut them down without any damage.
Additionally, I finished now the water cooling circuit. The first lines of the charge air circuit are also done.

Here's the current standing. You can see a part of the water radiator suspension and its lines leading into the inside of the motors V.

Another closer look to the cooling lines.

The inside of the V isn't correct. This picture Click appeared after I've finished the inside.

The cars underside. Not completely detailed, but the underbody will cover this. I guess I won't make the underbody removable on the finished car.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

bucker
bucker

Amazing

PaulB

Hey folks,

A few more words on my Audi R18 TDI. The last days, I worked on the engine bay, which is now almost finished. Before I can start with the suspension, I've to fit the underbody and before that, I have to manufacture the underbody.

First, to the engine bay. The two big air pipes, which lead the "used" air from the cockpit to the engine area were a bit tricky to build. Not really difficult, but a bit different from my usual building strategy. First, I made the two molds which only consists out of the two longitudinal frames. The shape of this frames is the projected area viewed from the side and viewed from above. Then I took many small paper pieces (about 15mm x 50mm) and placed them round the frames. Just like wet lamination of carbon fibres. Then they were covered with aluminium foil.

The function of these two air pipes is still a bit of unknown territory for me. At the top, a bit air is tapped to cool the VTG control-box (VTG = Variable Turbine Geometry). At the rear end, two lines seem to lead into the gearbox housing. Maybe for gearbox oil cooling? And two other lines lead into some at the gearbox housing attached boxes . One of them should be a hydraulic cooler. So, you see, there's a bit of research in front of me left.

The two frames for the cooling pipes.

At the left pipe, you can see the tap, which leads air to the VTG control-box. At the rear end of the pipes, you can see the quite big tubes which leads into the gearbox housing, the two small taps lead into the boxes.

The aluminium foil acts as heat shields, because the pipes run very near beside the exhaust system.

Now to the underbody: The underbody itself is separated into three parts. First for easier refit in case of a damage and secondly because the underbody is quite big. The regulations are very strict in this area, so you have no big space to variate your diffuser/underbody.

A few months ago, I built a "regulation underbody" for regulation tests to see how my chassis fit to the regulations. Due to a little error of me (as I wrote in the former post - the 7° mess) I additionally drew a "regulation underbody" in CAD to visualize it. Then I made a template to visualize the shape of the R18 underbody which differs a little bit from the "regulation underbody". The first layer (0.3mm paperboard) is already finished. Due to the high loads (downforce) of the underbody, I guess the thickness of the underbody should be around 10mm, so 1mm in my case (1:10 scale). So I will build the underbody with three layers of 0.3mm paperboard. One very helpful source was this video on YouTube: Audi R15 plus - Assembling (jump to min 3:34)

Page 45 of the ACO 2011 LMP1 technical regulations. Source: ACO Technical Regulations 2011 "LE MANS" PROTOTYPE ("LM"P1-"LM"P2) Technical Regulations for Prototype (2011)

My "regulation underbody".

My CAD regulation underbody.

Template of the left main section of the underbody. The few cutouts at the inner edge are there for the skid block bolts.

The rear part template of the underbody (Diffuser).

First layer of the underbody.

I don't know yet exactly what for this rectangle cutout in front of the diffuser is. But few pics told me that, so I've to find out what function it has.

The underside of the underbody. The outer side panels of the diffuser are missing.

The current standing.

Thanks for watching.
Cheers,

Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Nando
Nando

The level of detail is simply insane :)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

amouzouris

It is astonishing! Well done! I mean...WOW...

lukeaar
lukeaar

holy ---

PaulB

Hi folks!

Today there's a small documentation about how I do manufacture the last of three layers of the left hand side R18 TDI underbody.
In the last post, you could have read the starting of the underbody with manufacturing of the few templates for the two main parts and the diffuser of my Audi. Working time per layer is about 2.5 hours.

First I have to transfer the shape of my template to black cardboard sheet (0.3mm thick). If you wonder what's that for a ribbon in the pic, it's from my camera. I took my harmonica support and clamped my camera in it an took it around my neck. :)

The small cutout is cutted out after transferring the shape to the cardboard.

Then I have to cut the part out. A few small modifications have to be done to the shape, because with increasing thickness of the underbody after each layer, the shape changes a bit.

That's the raw part after cutting it out.

Then I have to give the part it's shape. That is done by hand and with help of a ruler and...

...my rounded desk edge.

That's the preformed part. At the 7° bend at the underbody I made a light cut with my scalpel and bent it up with a ruler.

Adding glue. That has to happen very quickly, because my glue harden very fast - about 2 min.

When gluing the layer on the underbody, I had to be very careful, that the shape is highly conform with the underbody itself.

Then the post treatment of the underbody starts. The hole for example has to be cutted and sanded.

The outer edge is intentionally made a bit wider as it should be, that I can cut it down to the shape of the underbody.

First I have to cut the edge and then...

...sand it to satisfying surface quality.

Adaption of the hole.

Of course also the hole has to be sanded after adapting.

And that's how it should looks like after finishing. Of course there are a few small things to do, such as sanding the glue dots, adding some small stuff and heat shields.

Fitted to the chassis.

This hole, where I do not know it's function, should be a controlling opening for the radiators. That's my imagination when I look on this pic.

Yeah, thats the way, how I do manufacture my underbody.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

Hi folks,

A very small update on the underbody progress. In very small steps, I was able to finish the underbody in the last days. Now it is waiting to get finished with a clear lacquer.

The upper side of the underbody.

The lower side of the underbody panel.

The lines of the water radiators are a bit to low. They collide a bit with the diffuser. But with a little pressure, the chassis fits quite well on the underbody.

That's it for the mo, thanks for watching.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

PaulB

He folks,

The last two days I was busy with lacquering the underbody. The fact, that my big last paint job (the monocoque) dates back somewhere in June 2012, was responsable, that the underbody didn't got perfect because I was a bit too less patient. A few times, the lacquer runed away a bit and made a bit an irregular surface. But not much.

If someone detects a difference between this and the real underbody (except the size) the person should tell me. ;)

Regarding the heat shieldings I have almost no reference. In my opinion, also the area under the radiators should be heat protected, but at my pics of the engine cover, there is no heat shielding at the radiators area.

Underside of the underbody.

Diffuser...

With the heat shields I covered the area under the engine and the lower line to the water radiator.

That's it for the mo.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

amouzouris

I am trying to find a word to describe your work that someone hasn't already used..but i failed miserably...simply OUTSTANDING job!!

Alonso Fan

amouzouris wrote:I am trying to find a word to describe your work that someone hasn't already used..but i failed miserably...simply OUTSTANDING job!!
phenomenal!! that's the word. i'm not sure if anyone's used it before, but it's the best i can think of. it's fantastic!

i wouldn't be able to get that much detail on a model if i made one, especially with my rubbish art skills and lack of equipment.

you're right, it's just simply outstanding!!

can't wait to see the finished result
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa