Superkart aerodynamics

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Racingf1

Re: Superkart aerodynamics

andylaurence wrote:~150kg of downforce at ~150mph? Doesn't seem too outrageous, but that depends on how big the wing is.
The wing has 340mm of chord and 1200mm of span. The profile is a NACA 9312 with an AoA of 13 degrees.
Pierce89 wrote:You need to upload the pics to a picture hosting service. Some of the other members can recommend some good ones.
I got the answer from a few members, I'll try to post the images tomorrow or during the weekend.

Thanks to everybody that takes a look at this post :)

andylaurence

Racingf1 wrote:
andylaurence wrote:~150kg of downforce at ~150mph? Doesn't seem too outrageous, but that depends on how big the wing is.
The wing has 340mm of chord and 1200mm of span. The profile is a NACA 9312 with an AoA of 13 degrees.
:o On a kart? Wow! Mine's ~300mm chord (main plus flap) and 1700mm span on a 421kg car. I can still feel it working at speed as the CoP is behind the CoG and the car tends towards understeer at greater speeds.

Racingf1

andylaurence wrote:The wing has 340mm of chord and 1200mm of span. The profile is a NACA 9312 with an AoA of 13 degrees.
:o On a kart? Wow! Mine's ~300mm chord (main plus flap) and 1700mm span on a 421kg car. I can still feel it working at speed as the CoP is behind the CoG and the car tends towards understeer at greater speeds.[/quote]

Do you think that those values are too much? And also I have one question, I thought that by regulations the maximum width of a superkart is 1400mm.

But according to my simulations, the RW produces 58 kg at 45m/s. The original data for real windtesting, the rear part of the superkart produces 32kg.

The difference in my model is that I still not have evaluated the full model including the driver, and when that will happen, for sure that the downforce will be reduced from the actual 58kg at 45 m/s.

Racingf1

I have a question, there is an easy way to do the openings at the upper part of the endplate with SolidWorks?

roblomas52

I must admit I've found out one of the reasons why a superkart can break incredibly late for turns.

krisfx

It sounds completely daft, but have you tried just emailing the kart manufacturer and asking for their CAD models?

If you're a student some companies are more than happy to help you. I know it's a long shot, but I've emailed a design company before (linked to F1) and got some stuff.

jngutierrez

Dear Racingf1

Would you mind contacting me via private message? I have some questions (somewhat personal) for you. I'd be very thankful if we can get in touch.

Thanks.
Racingf1 wrote:Hi to everybody!

I'm a mechanical engineering student from Barcelona and as a final project of the degree I decided to design a 3D Superkart, but only the chassis and all the bodywork with Solidworks.

So, I want to ask for your help with the aerodynamics. I know more or less how to design and define all the components with solidworks with the help of Competition car aerodynamics book, some aero foil programmes to help with the NACA rear wing profile. But what I really want to know if there is any way to know the data (the amount of downforce, etc) or any kind of data in order to compare an actual superkart design from Anderson Karts http://www.anderson-csk.co.uk/maverick_div.php or MS Karts http://www.mskart.cz/new/en/catalogue/m ... 250-engine with my future design.

Without this information, I don't know how to prove that my design will be an improvement or at least I'll get close to the numbers obtained from an actual superkart model.

I hope that I made a clear explanation of what I want to do with my project and what information do I need.

Thanks a lot!

Sergi