Cottrell's F1 Car [Model] TC2

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
amouzouris

Re: Cottrell's F1 Car [Model] TC2

CottrellGP wrote:
amouzouris wrote:I find the heart shaped central hot air outlet very interesting. What is the reason for that?
There is no real reason why, im no aero expert but i wanted the outlet to blow the monkey seat which is quite high up, at the same time i wanted the bottom of the outlet to be as tight as possible so it would blow the center of the beam wing and also let air from the side pods hit the center of the beam wing, so this was the shape i came up with. It might not work but i find the solution the best up to now.
well, I would advice you to not blow the monkey seat with the hot air outlet.
IIRC the car is not simulated fully (as in if the car will burn itself on the first lap) so you can decrease the size of the outlet, which I would advice you to do

CottrellGP

amouzouris wrote:
CottrellGP wrote:
amouzouris wrote:I find the heart shaped central hot air outlet very interesting. What is the reason for that?
There is no real reason why, im no aero expert but i wanted the outlet to blow the monkey seat which is quite high up, at the same time i wanted the bottom of the outlet to be as tight as possible so it would blow the center of the beam wing and also let air from the side pods hit the center of the beam wing, so this was the shape i came up with. It might not work but i find the solution the best up to now.
well, I would advice you to not blow the monkey seat with the hot air outlet.
IIRC the car is not simulated fully (as in if the car will burn itself on the first lap) so you can decrease the size of the outlet, which I would advice you to do
I didn't realize the air would be so hot coming out of the hot air outlet, well thanks for that information ill change the design and post some pictures, cheers
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

wesley123

That isnt the main problem. The main problem is that the air quality of this air is crap, I dont see why you'd want that anywhere near your downforce generating parts.

But yes, as amouzouris says, since cooling isnt simulated you are better off making smaller exits/different exits
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:That isnt the main problem. The main problem is that the air quality of this air is crap, I dont see why you'd want that anywhere near your downforce generating parts.

But yes, as amouzouris says, since cooling isnt simulated you are better off making smaller exits/different exits
there is regulations for the sizing of the outlets
Budding F1 Engineer

CottrellGP

N12ck wrote:
wesley123 wrote:That isnt the main problem. The main problem is that the air quality of this air is crap, I dont see why you'd want that anywhere near your downforce generating parts.

I know there is
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

wesley123

N12ck wrote:

Ah well, I'd asume you can "spread" them much like regular F1 cars do. So not smaller actually, just "reallocating them" lol.

N12ck

wesley123 wrote:
N12ck wrote:

Ah well, I'd asume you can "spread" them much like regular F1 cars do. So not smaller actually, just "reallocating them" lol.
yes, 8)
Budding F1 Engineer

MIKEY_!

there can be an advantage to aiming the cooling exits at the beam wing etc using the Meredith effect, however air is usually quite turbulent after going over the radiators so can cause more drag. Turbulent air can stick to a surface better than laminar flow which allows higher AoA for wings in this area and presumably more downforce. Of course since none of that stuff is simulated its a bit irrelevant but still good to know.

wesley123

There is no advantage, it is dirty air. The air is of crap quality and cant do much than to screw things up.

Teams try to exit the air into nothing and that isnt without reason.

MIKEY_!

nope, most aim it straight at the beam wing and monkey seat. If they wanted to get it away from bodywork they could let it out the top of the sidepods as others do. I seem to recall renault even placed their exits on the floor ahead of the diffuser in 2011

wesley123

Doesnt mean it is helpful. They aim it there to make the rear bodywork tighter. Renault back then exited a little out of there to get the slope on the sidepod.

I cant even see why you'd want turbulent, dirty air over your wings or anywhere near that. Teams have always tried to get the exits out of the way of wings or other bodywork. Have you ever seen it get aimed at the beamwing? I have always seen downsloping sidepods to get it out of the way for the beamwing.
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/03/11/renault-r31-cooling-solution-and-diffuser-performance/ wrote: In Renaults case, the airflow running along the floor does not flow directly over the top surface of the diffuser, as these wide vents are in the way. Some people have suggested the teams are directing the heated airflow from within the sidepods out of these vents and over the diffuser for greater aerodynamic effect. However the reality is different, the air coming out of these vents will be of low energy, having passed through the various cooler matrices. Thus its effect in aiding the diffuser is much reduced.

CottrellGP

Just a couple of small updates, the front bulkhead has been raised 25mm and the nose has slightly changed. Also the sidepod intakes are a small as the regs state and the rear cooling exit has been shrunk to the minimum it can be. I am still trying to keep this car very simple but effective. I am not going to put all these fancy parts on it.

Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

CottrellGP

Thought i would do a Coanda style exhaust just to see what it would look like, yes i know it not great but it was a test, i have refined a few more parts, Diffuser, New front wing on the way, Floor, Rear wing, Tighter sidepods at rear and nose cone changes. :)

(Wont be the final diffuser) :P

Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

MIKEY_!

coanda exhaust look pretty good to me, just remove the rear face of the bulges so they function as cooling exits (and remove the central exit you have already) and they would be fine, I believe it would be similar to one version of Ferrari's exhausts from last year

astracrazy

why have you gone with coanda exhausts when they aren't simulated? its gonna results in a negative effect on your car as you won't have the benefits of the exhaust...