Ferrari F138 Model - Alonso Fan

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Alonso Fan

Re: Ferrari F138 Model - Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:well, i found this method and have been using it for the last 2 years- after i finish the floor and the centre section, i cover the car with protectice kitche foil. then, i use modelling clay to get the desired shape. ontop, i put aluminium foil, then pieces of tissue paper/ newspaper and PVA glue. once dry, i remove the kitchen foil and clay and glue the finnished bodywork piece to the car. with this method, you can get pretty complicated shapes. to see it, go to the topic of my F138
ah, ok, but there's one problem. it will be hard to make the shape of the bodywork around the exhaust outlets because the body curves underneath the exhausts, so you wouldn't be able to pull the Papier-mâché off the foil once you've covered it. it might have worked if separate body parts were made

good idea though :D
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RicME85

I dont make physical models, I make them on my PC for the competition - KVRC.

RicME85

Alonso Fan wrote:
RicME85 wrote:Papier-mâché would work.
Lay some paper or very thin car (like printing paper) over the ribcage then apply papier-mâché to get the desired shape. This will then set nice and strong and can be given a nice smooth finish.

I build my 3D cars by using a ribcage technique for certain areas of the car.
the only thing with this is that papier-mâché ends up very bumpy, and i can't seem to get the hang of smoothing it out.
feel free to post pics of your ribcage aswell
You can make it smooth by laying strips of paper rather than making a pulp.

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:
RicME85 wrote:Papier-mâché would work.
Lay some paper or very thin car (like printing paper) over the ribcage then apply papier-mâché to get the desired shape. This will then set nice and strong and can be given a nice smooth finish.

I build my 3D cars by using a ribcage technique for certain areas of the car.
the only thing with this is that papier-mâché ends up very bumpy, and i can't seem to get the hang of smoothing it out.
feel free to post pics of your ribcage aswell
You can make it smooth by laying strips of paper rather than making a pulp.
so i guess paper is smoother than kitchen roll?

still, feel free to post pics :D
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:newspaper will do the trick
Ok, I'll see

Thanks
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

newspaper is fine, take a look at my thread, it's relatively smooth

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:newspaper is fine, take a look at my thread, it's relatively smooth
ok, i will

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

here are a few more pics:

an attempt at making a wheel centre. (it took me 35 minutes to make and is a disaster, so i will try to make it another way)

the completion of the engine cover

another angle of the completed engine cover. i've already started work on the airbox and the monocoque. also, notice the extra strip of card which defines the undercut on the sidepods

there's still a long way to go, but i'm getting there. i've decided, with all your help (thanks) that i'm going to cover it with a layer of masking tape, as it's the easiest thing that i've got to apply to a surface like that, then i'm going to do a layer of papier mache with white paper, as it will be easier to paint. before that, i need to complete the monocoque and airbox though.

tell me what you guys think!

Thanks for watching :D
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

nice progress :) i think though that to make the rims like that at such scale IS tough, just do the hub as a single part, cause else you'll need a lot of patience. and one thing that may be important - paint the inside of the sidepods in black now, as it might be a nightmare once you've closed them.

And there's no problem for the help, i'm actually enjoying myself giving you ideas and hints and watching your car grow. i feel like a distant cousin of it really :D

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:nice progress :) i think though that to make the rims like that at such scale IS tough, just do the hub as a single part, cause else you'll need a lot of patience. and one thing that may be important - paint the inside of the sidepods in black now, as it might be a nightmare once you've closed them.

And there's no problem for the help, i'm actually enjoying myself giving you ideas and hints and watching your car grow. i feel like a distant cousin of it really :D
yeah, the sidepods need doing and so does the airbox, so i'll do them next. i've come up with a really good idea on how to cover up the ribcage. i tried it on the airbox first and it worked really well. i'll cover it with masking tape and then instead of putting a layer of papier mache on it, i'll just cover it with PVA glue. it gives it the strength it needs, and a neutral colour on which to paint on. it also makes the surface slightly shiny, which enables the paint to be slightly shiny even before adding varnish, so i think i've sussed it.

the wheel hubs will simply be cylinders. i'm not going into the detail that paul went in to because i've simply not got that much time. i've also figured that i'll make two stars of 5 spokes and join them together to make the centre star of one wheel instead of cutting 10 spokes out at once like i did before. it will make it stronger, and a lot easier to make.

that's good that you're enjoying it, because i am too! :D

btw, very good win for Alonso yesterday! :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

Hi again, i want to give you some tips on the suspension, which you should be manufacturing soon. i recently completed the front one on my imaginary car that i'm now building.i'll now make the rear one, if you want photos from it notify me.

first, i made the wishbones from rolled black card and a piece of paper clip at the end for the connection

then, i added the pullrod (a toothpic), a piece to support it to the wishbones, and the brake duct. all glued with moment express fix which i already mentioned.
you can't really see the pullrod because it's hidden. also, i couldn't make the steering rod because there was no space left.

after that, i painted everything black. now i just need to varnish it.
top view:

and a view from the bottom:

:arrow: hope this helps you, and post soon! :D
cheers kosio

Alonso Fan

very impressive!! thanks for the help kosio

it looks like a huge improvement from your f138!
nice front wing!

yep, i will be making the wishbones soon, and i will be using wooden BBQ skewers covered in carbon fibre print.
i'm making the monocoque at the moment, and won't be adding the suspension until the whole ribcage is covered with tape and glue, and until the carbon fibre print has been layed on. your tips are really helpful.

i'm going to use toothpicks for attaching the front wing on to the monocoque, like paul used metal wire.

so, i'm guessing it's a Caterham? :D

btw, are you going to make the wheels detachable?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

thanks! a few notes:
1) it's not a catheram, it's imaginary, i'm designing it
2) i won't make anything detachable, i'll just glue the finished tires-hubs (as one piece)
3) i'm a bit concerned about how you'll glue the BBQ skewers together.
4) it's nice that you'll have a separate nosecone[/size]

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:thanks! a few notes:
1) it's not a catheram, it's imaginary, i'm designing it
2) i won't make anything detachable, i'll just glue the finished tires-hubs (as one piece)
3) i'm a bit concerned about how you'll glue the BBQ skewers together.
4) it's nice that you'll have a separate nosecone[/size]
ah, i see, so you're chief designer... cool

i like that green colour, i assumed it was a caterham because of that.

i've sorted out how i'm going to glue the skewers.
i'll simply make a card shape of the suspension, and then glue the skewers onto it, and then fold the card over to make the suspension 3d. so i'll have plenty of contact area with the body and the hubs.

we'll just have to wait and see if it works
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord