Help designing an F1 track...

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
neilbah
neilbah

Re: Help designing an F1 track...

hi, is there a way you can develop it for gtr2, rfactor or some other driving sim with a track editor, then it could be tested :)

tvnerd
tvnerd

Let's just rebuild Riverside International Raceway in California. The short course would fit almost all the calculated needs, and the long course would be fun with some bus-stop turn on the back strech. Can-Am cars were beasts and what a show. When you can draw 120,000 for the LA Time Grand Prix in 1969, there was magic at that track. I had over 1000 laps at the track, and still found new lines for more speed!

JMGV196
JMGV196

Thanks everybody, specially Ciro Pabón :) About the elevation, if I try to make it, my computer (and Sketchup) would crash... There are lots of good racetracks with almost no elevation change (Melbourne, Monza, Hockenheim, Silverstone...) About the software change, I think I would spend too much time learning how to use it, and I would never complete the track. Other than that, the information is useful, thanks.

New image:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ciro Pabón

I see your problem. neilbah went straight for the throat, if you ask me.

Everything has a solution

Try this, perhaps it will not crash (you have to register to download):

Bob's Track Builder

If it works in your PC, you can export directly to rfactor without using 3DMax and then you will have the deep satisfaction of trying a lap around the track (after downloading and installing rfactor, of course).

I'm guessing here, but once you lose the rear a couple of times in curve 13A (between curves 13 and 14 and then only if you use a friction factor low enough, like in the rain), you will change it, because you'll realize you're going out of the track at almost 300 kph.

You will also (I imagine) change the curvature at the entrance of some of the hardest curves, like curve 12, end of curve 2, etc. after a couple of laps and then, in a moment of profound understanding, will realize what an spiral is and why nature use it.
Ciro

JMGV196
JMGV196

I forgot to mention that I'm working on a Mac... :( I'm sorry.

--------

Previous design (I realized it was something Herman Tilke would design...)

notsofast
notsofast

A new post by Ciro, what a very pleasant surprise!

Alonso Fan

JMGV196 wrote:Thanks everybody, specially Ciro Pabón :) About the elevation, if I try to make it, my computer (and Sketchup) would crash... There are lots of good racetracks with almost no elevation change (Melbourne, Monza, Hockenheim, Silverstone...) About the software change, I think I would spend too much time learning how to use it, and I would never complete the track. Other than that, the information is useful, thanks.
very nice overall track. it would encourage slipstreeming which has been very rare recently in f1.

i say stick with sketchup. i find it very easy to use, and there's no point trying to get used to another software that is just as capable (arguably) than the free version of sketchup.

also, just make sure you read all the tutorials you can get about kerkythea and how to make materials look realistic.

i'm sure you'll do fine

waiting for the finished model
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Steven
Owner

I really like this track, but I have two (minor) concerns. First of all, the track looks indeed very long. Do you know what is the expected length of the track as you have designed it now?

Secondly, there may be a safety issue in turn 14. You'll obviously have cars approaching there at high speeds, so you'll need quite a big run-off area there. It looks to me like there will not be enough room, as your pit straight is immediately behind. You might need to reconsider this part a little bit, especially because your chicane would be an interesting place for grandstands. Ideally these should be placed on the inside of the second part of the chicane, but again there seems to be no room there to do anything.

Nice work altogether!

JMGV196
JMGV196

Fixed design:

Track's length is 6.291 km :) Concidering that a lap at Spa (6.976 km) is around 1:48 and a lap at Circuit of the Americas (5.513 km) is around 1:36, I think a lap here would be around 1:41 maybe?

motorloon1993
motorloon1993

Think I preferred the quicker final sector it would be brilliant with some elevation, I think F1 is missing a lot of elevating high speed sections, the turn 14 chicane could be fantastic if you have the run down going downhill and flat/up coming out. Great work overall btw I'd bulldoze the Russian Olympic park circuit in favour of any of those.

Alonso Fan

Awesome!

nice improvements

just one question... how are you going to fit the paddock behind the pits?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

JMGV196
JMGV196

I know, unfortunately, I won't be able to add elevation :(

I will find some way to fit the paddock :D I will probably design an L shaped building.

BTW, I won't make a construction progress anymore.

---

Do you think the width is ok?

JMGV196
JMGV196

And here's an update. Turn 1:

Aussie
Aussie

I think it's a bit wide, make it hard to go 3 wide

Alonso Fan

i think it's ok, the width is fine.

can i ask how you got a sky?

maybe the pit exit can be moved a bit further back so you can put a proper white line in the middle of the track (like spain, catalunya circuit)

otherwise, nice progress!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord