Hermax F1 Schools Project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Hermax

Hermax F1 Schools Project

hello there.I need some help on this dihedral angle and how it affects the windflow.which one do you think is the best ?Image

Richard

Re: F1 in Schools

What's the context? Where is this on the bodywork?

flynfrog

dihedral i is used to maintain stability on aircraft that need to bank to turn. It has no use on a car that only drives in a strait line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral_(aircraft)

timbo

Hermax wrote:hello there.I need some help on this dihedral angle and how it affects the windflow.which one do you think is the best ?
Often times the shapes used by F1 designers have nothing to do with what is ultimately most effective, but rather with what is best way to exploit what is permitted by rules.
For example the front wing shape with central "spoon" which was common between 2001-2008 was because only in the center section the wing could be lowered close to the track surface.
And in all cases the wing must be looked onto as part of the whole bodywork. The shape of the frontwing is chosen so that it provides flow to the parts behind it and rear wing must work with the flow it gets from what is in front of it.

Lycoming

Note also that gullwings are primarily to provide clearance for other wing mounted things, as opposed to being specifically for aerodynamic benefit. The example shown above is often used by seaplanes to elevate the engines above the salty mist of seawater. The F4U Corsair used an upside down version of that to elevate the engine further up above it's landing gear so the propeller had adequate ground clearance without using excessively long landing gear struts. Long struts being bad because longer things tend to be easier to buckle.

rjsa

flynfrog wrote:dihedral i is used to maintain stability on aircraft that need to bank to turn. It has no use on a car that only drives in a strait line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral_(aircraft)
This.

This has more to do with flight dynamics than wing proformance.

For your car, straight section wings always.

Even on F1, almost everytime main wing elements deviate from rectangular the design was mandated by the rules to reduce wing efficiency.

Hermax

Thank you guys for the feedback :)

Hermax

f1 car

i am looking for tips on aerodynamics and i thought that if I post a few pics of my car on this forum someone might be able to give me a few pointers on improving my cars performance.

1)questions regarding the aerofoil:
-what should the angle of the aerofoil be.....how much of a difference will it make?
-should we have endplates attached to the spoiler?
-need some suggestion on the angle of attack for minimum drag

here are some of the images of my car
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y53 ... 09b624.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y53 ... 6623b9.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y53 ... f0b430.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y53 ... 039e40.jpg

Hermax

F1 in Schools

Hello there.. i have a few questions regarding the aerodynamics and a few other related issues regarding the wings
before that,
let me give you a brief introduction about this challenge:
F1 in Schools is a multi-disciplinary challenge in which teams of students aged 9 to 19 deploy CAD/CAM software to collaborate, design, analyze, manufacture, test, and then race miniature gas powered balsa wood F1 cars.
The cars are powered by CO2 canisters, which are punctured to release the car at speeds of up to 60kmph. The objective of
the race is to tear down 20 meters in under a second.

-what should the angle of the aerofoil be.....how much of a difference will it make?
2)should we have deflectors in front of the rear wheels?...if yes what purpose does it serve and how high should it be?

any help would be extremely appriciated!
will be looking forward for an asap reply :)

hollus

Rivals, not enemies.

flynfrog

Hermax wrote:Hello there.. i have a few questions regarding the aerodynamics and a few other related issues regarding the wings
before that,
let me give you a brief introduction about this challenge:
F1 in Schools is a multi-disciplinary challenge in which teams of students aged 9 to 19 deploy CAD/CAM software to collaborate, design, analyze, manufacture, test, and then race miniature gas powered balsa wood F1 cars.
The cars are powered by CO2 canisters, which are punctured to release the car at speeds of up to 60kmph. The objective of
the race is to tear down 20 meters in under a second.

2)should we have deflectors in front of the rear wheels?...if yes what purpose does it serve and how high should it be?

any help would be extremely appriciated!
will be looking forward for an asap reply :)

You need to take a few steps back. Before you can find an answer you need to define the problem.

What is the purpose of the competition.

What attributes of the car are best suited to this purpose. Looks like you started this but didn't finish.

When you have a question like what angle your wings should be at you should be able to look at your attribute list then decide what angle of wing best suites the attribute you are looking for. Also try doing a little research yourself before just posting questions. People here are more than willing to help but they are not going to do your homework for you.

KeithYoung

Re: Hermax F1 Schools Project

The only reasons I can think of to have anything but a straight wing are regulations, packaging, or managing airflow for objects downstream.

Hermax

You need to take a few steps back. Before you can find an answer you need to define the problem.

What is the purpose of the competition.

What attributes of the car are best suited to this purpose. Looks like you started this but didn't finish.

When you have a question like what angle your wings should be at you should be able to look at your attribute list then decide what angle of wing best suites the attribute you are looking for. Also try doing a little research yourself before just posting questions. People here are more than willing to help but they are not going to do your homework for you.

sure.i was left quite far behind cause im replacing my friend in this competition so quite afraid that i couldnt buck up

Hermax

richard_leeds wrote:What's the context? Where is this on the bodywork?
you mean the design of this ?

Hermax

flynfrog wrote:dihedral i is used to maintain stability on aircraft that need to bank to turn. It has no use on a car that only drives in a strait line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihedral_(aircraft)
got it !