Body Design Project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
pez
pez

Body Design Project

Hi
We have come across this forum having searched the internet for budding race car designers who might be interested in a small project.

We are a small motorsports business and have built a spaceframe racing chassis which we have spent time proving aswell spec'ing and selecting associated components. It's relatively basic but it is strong and performs where we need it to.

The body we have used on the car to date is rudimentary (this is being kind) being of a very dated design and offering no aero functionality (it's a brick)....but it has served it's purpose until now.

We are now looking to body the car.
A design that is going to be robust, durable and practical (making the car easy to work on). Aerodynamically we want to minimise the drag (given the relatively low power) but lend the chassis some much needed downforce.
So we're not looking for the most leading edge design but we do want a striking looking car - something that looks fast just sitting there !

Some basic info on the car

Layout: Open Two seater with a full race cage, Front engined, Rear wheel drive
Engine: Duratec 4cyl engine approx 200-250hp
Approx dimensions
L/W/H: 3581mm./1550mm./765mm
Wheelbase: 2146mm
Track, f/r: 1295mm./1295mm
Curb weight: 650kg

If you have interest in this project email to this address design@kreativ.com.hk telling us a bit about yourself, giving us some examples of your work and of course contact details.

NB: The email address above is a temporary email address just for posting in the forum.

Obviously you need to be able to render an exact 3-dimensional CAD design that can then be used to generate moulds/panels etc
Timing is also important. We want someone to work on this ASAP - So once we have selected someone to work with they need to be able to get rolling on a more detailed brief to come up with the final concept.

Hopefully someone here has interest in bringing a design to reality. (Note We have not posted in any other forums)

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Matthew

andylaurence

Re: Body Design Project

Is this a competition car or for the road too? What series is it for? 650kg is quite heavy for a Duratec-powered track-only car, especially given how small it is. What's the weight distribution of the car with the engine in the front? Do you have any aerodynamic performance criteria or is this a styling exercise?

Kozy
Kozy

Here's something I did in Solidworks about 7 years ago. I knew very little about using CAD back then:

Not exactly what you had in mind as a FR layout, but there's what I can do none the less.

Is this a paid or voluntary position? What is the company?

fussell

Hi Matthew,

I'm very interested in getting involved in this. Could you upload a 'naked' layout the car, so we can have an idea of where the internal components are? Then we'll knoe the limits.

thanks

pez
pez

Just for the track
No specific series
Weight... 650kg is not too bad give full roll cage, 2 seats etc. It's not designed to compete in a superlight bike engined series
Weight distribution say F/R 60/40. Would be more exact in final brief.
Don't have formal aero stats at present (will put some baseline in the final brief) but certainly we need performance in this area.
Not form over matter BUT styling is important.

Hoping that the "design to end product" is the core driver for anyone looking to submit to the project but for the right deliverable we can package something.... Form/structure... we can be creative.

RE: CAD drawing above... OUt of scope. Our car is open cockpit with full cage.

Many thanks for the questions.

pez
pez

For this 1st stage lets not get caught up in the technical...
As someone mentioned... Stylin exercise for now... & then we compromise with the technical constraints

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I think you should add some constraints. Is it possible to add a diffusor, do you want to have a rear wing, a front wing, how many cooling openings are required for the engine and brakes? Does this need to be checked with the help of CFD?

The answers to these questions heavily influence the design possibilities and the time needed to get the whole thing done.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Kozy
Kozy

pez wrote: RE: CAD drawing above... OUt of scope. Our car is open cockpit with full cage.
Granted, it's just a demo of what I can do in CAD.

KeithYoung

Is there a reason you haven't chosen a series yet? I'd think that should be one of your first priorities. Granted, I don't know much about your situation yet.

How are you marketing this car? What is the advantage this car offers your target customer that all the other cars don't and in what areas are you looking for people on this forum to help you build on that advantage?

Are you looking for free or paid help?

pez
pez

I don't want to add constraints at this time.
However...
If I was designing a body for the a car, one with relatively low power I would be looking to minimise drag. i.e. I would not place a whopping great wing on the rear.
I would be looking to channel air effectively at the front of the car for both for cooling ( engine, brakes, diff etc) and down force (generated from under the car & over). Where/how does this channelled air flow/exit.

re: race series.... We're in a position where we can run our own class within a series or indeed run our own one make.
This is an entry level race car but one that is still exhilarating and certainly a race car - not a road car converted to a track car.

tomislavp4

Here is one of my recent works. https://grabcad.com/library/500-group-supercar-road

Designed it from scratch in a week. The software I used was SolidWorks although nowadays I use Alias because it has better tools for surface generation. I am a Mechanical Engineering student in the field of Product Development and Design, I've gone through a few design courses, so to speak :)

Yellowbelly
Yellowbelly

Some more credible background to your company would be nice

pez
pez

Based in Asia and have been involved in motorsport in the region for over a decade both bikes and cars.

Competed successfully in a number of series and events in Asia and int'l notable ones being Asia GT3 & GT4, Macau GP, Dubai 24Hr.

We also run and support a number of customer cars in various race series as well as providing a range of race engineering services.

We have been committed to promoting racing in the region and the project here is further evidence of this.

Yellowbelly
Yellowbelly

Thank you for clarifying

flynfrog

so you have no idea how much df your need and how much you drag you can handle in that case I can give you a body in a few hours pleas PM me for payment details. I can give you a body in less than 10 hrs