Chen Engine, a more efficient and cleaner engine

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Greg Locock

Re: Chen Engine, a more efficient and cleaner engine

Don't laugh about it, fresh air injected into the exhaust was a nasty way round the early smog tests, in the era of electric carbs.

langwadt

Greg Locock wrote:Don't laugh about it, fresh air injected into the exhaust was a nasty way round the early smog tests, in the era of electric carbs.
I know, and if you only measure concentration and not total mass for a test cycle it "works"

Chengine

Chen engine and Diesel engine

We all know that the reason Diesel engine is very efficient as compared to Otto engine. Why? They idle at 1 ATM pressure of air input and they do not have exhaust gas in input cycle and of course they have twice the compression of Otto engines.

But all these advantages have gradually reduced with improvement in Otto engine components. With direct fuel injection, Otto engine is no longer constrained by the "knocking", as the fuel is injected, similar to Diesel. Thanks to Chen engine, Air injection, the exhaust gas is as small as Diesel, perhaps even smaller. With direct fuel injection, Chen engine also can idle with inlet pressure at 1 atm( this will reduce pumping loss as well). The efficiency of this very lean operation will dramatically reduce gasoline consumption, not only at idle, but through out operating range.

Since Chen engine is basically a gasoline engine operating approaching Diesel mode, hence the characteristic is also between the two engines.

My goal of participating in this forum is to open a discussion. Since this concept is new, I spent considerable time in the fundamentals. It has been ten pages and I have also introduced Chen engine architecture. I hope this will stimulating some thought in the reader in thinking perhaps next internal combustion engine is a half way engine, Chen engine.

Highly lean running engine
Exhaust expelled engine
Direct fuel injection engine
Very high compression engine

Chengine

Greg Locock

Highly lean running engine
Direct fuel injection engine
Very high compression engine

So you are treading the same path as the OEMs?

flynfrog

Diesel is a cycle not fuel ... Checken egg.... soy sauce soy bean

idfx

Chengine wrote: ....I know for the third world, motorcycles is the main mode of transportation. In a country like India most the pollution is from motorcycles. And the gasoline cost put a strain on family budget. I would really like to see the first Chen engine to come out of India. To these Indian engine engineers, Chen engine development is your chance to make a difference to your country, to the world and also to yourself. The remaining engineering work is no harder than a master's theses. You can do it. This applied to all third world engineers and engine entrepeneurs.
Chengine
is depressing to read that text.
The problem isn't, motorcycles, engine or pollution. The real problem is: public transportation is a # $% *
If the government offers public transport quality, safety and price compatible with the reality of his nation, it's obvious that people will use.
Subway, train, bus, boats, trams are alternative transportation, and the quality and respect for the people were forgotten.
These countries have various types of problems and the primary: a famine, hunger.
....Is it correct to transform plantations destined to feed people in; plantations geared to generate biofuels or ethanol ?
the problem is social, human. You don't know the social problems: India, Brazil, Cuba, Bolivia, Colombia, Mexico, Africa, China, Asia ... "Don't ever call someone": third world or second world.
all have freedom to show ideas, genius or stupid, but;your intentions are disturbing.
----------

Powerslide

Greg Locock wrote:Don't laugh about it, fresh air injected into the exhaust was a nasty way round the early smog tests, in the era of electric carbs.
Oh cmon, I would not mind a little chinese anti-lag fire crackers every now and then turbo or non-turbo. Just look at how some manufacturers are faking off throttle overlap pops and bangs.
speed

autogyro

In the 60s I used to put a spark plug fired by a hand magneto in the megaphone of my Norton.
Used to scare the peasants.

Chengine

Hello, friends,

I thought that I have covered all major points that I would like to present. Yesterday a friend asked me that if Chen engine has maximum flat torque curve from idle to redline, maybe Chen "Car" does not need gears. Yes, if Chen engine is installed in a system that drives a variable load such as automobile, theoretically, you do not need any gear box.

Yes, I know, that I made another outrageous claim. How can a car with ICE be driven without gear?

For marine diesels, the ship is driven directly from low speed diesel without reduction gears. However Diesel trucks has more that ten gears to optimize power transfer, but it is because Diesel torque curve is narrow and the driver must select the proper gear for best performance.

Chen engine has flat torque curve. In this case, it is more like electric motor. No gear is required for optimum power transfer.

Chengine

Tim.Wright

Chengine wrote: ...Yes, if Chen engine is installed in a system that drives a variable load such as automobile, theoretically, you do not need any gear box.
That pretty cool and all, but have you heard of the Tim-gine?
Not the engineer at Force India

flynfrog

The Tim-gine is great and all but the flyngine does everything the Tim-gine does and makes coffee.

bhall

And there I was, this whole time thinking it's flyin' frog.

I suppose now you're gonna tell me Santa Claus isn't real, either.

xxChrisxx

This thread has become remarkably --- stupid now.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRIQGU2RRk
Last edited by xxChrisxx on 09 Jun 2014, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

bill shoe

Chengine wrote:Hello, friends,

I thought that I have covered all major points that I would like to present. Yesterday a friend asked me that if Chen engine has maximum flat torque curve from idle to redline, maybe Chen "Car" does not need gears. Yes, if Chen engine is installed in a system that drives a variable load such as automobile, theoretically, you do not need any gear box.

Yes, I know, that I made another outrageous claim. How can a car with ICE be driven without gear?

For marine diesels, the ship is driven directly from low speed diesel without reduction gears. However Diesel trucks has more that ten gears to optimize power transfer, but it is because Diesel torque curve is narrow and the driver must select the proper gear for best performance.

Chen engine has flat torque curve. In this case, it is more like electric motor. No gear is required for optimum power transfer.

Chengine
I think that wraps it up. Point proven. I am currently in the process of removing the engine and transmission from my car so they can be replaced with a Chengine. Thanks.

Lycoming

I guess I could say something about how electric cars still have gearboxes but really, what's the point...