Part Sourcing for Steering Wheel Project

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
theordl

Part Sourcing for Steering Wheel Project

Hi everyone,

New to the F1 Technical website, lost my old login details but have been a browser on and off for a while now, so much interesting stuff around here!

I was hoping you would all be able to give a little time to help me with a little project I am undertaking.

I am a keen sim racer and have recently purchased the Thrustmaster F1 Add On Rim with a view to modifying it to as close a replica as possible to the real wheel. I have recently contacted Amalgam but they were unable to assist with my request.

So, the rim is based on the F138 wheel as used by the Ferrari F1 Team:

And the actual wheel in question:

I have the display sourced and on its way to me, the body of the wheel will be skinned in 2x2 carbon fibre and the paddle shifters will be removed, a mold taken and again made of carbon fibre.

At this point I am looking mainly for a decal set, the rotary knobs and the toggle switches with the red inserts as these are the items I am struggling to source most.

The centre Ferrari know will be used from the Thrustmaster wheel and modified to become a working dial, the other rotarys on the Thrustmaster are moulded imitations for now until the rim is modified. All push buttons will be replaced as required.

Extra LEDs will be added to work with the display and then hopefully I will be somewhere near.

Any tips or info would be really appreciated and I will hopefully show the progress here as it takes shape.

Thanks for looking,

Kris

theordl

Re: Part Sourcing for Steering Wheel Project

Thanks for the reply, hadnt seen the race department thread before, an exciting build going on there.

its more the actual knobs than the switches Im looking for as I have the switches on order already. Wanting to get as closer match to the real knobs as possible.

theordl

Thanks for the link, still looking as I cant find the exact ones im looking for.

Tim.Wright

Why not model up what you want in your favourite CAD package, then send it to an online 3D printer?

Would likely be cheaper than buying a mil-spec rotary switch.
Not the engineer at Force India

scottracing

have a look at aircraft part stockists, as the teams use a lot of there harness and switchgear from aviation. But as tim says there should be a way of getting some made, is there anything similar on grabcad?

theordl

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies again, really appreciated. Regarding 3D modelling, I have experience with Google Sketch Up but that's about as far as it goes. Never heard of Grabcad but I will certainly see if I can find anything.

I will take a look around again today as I have a bit of time until the carbon fibre turns up. Display unit has been shipped and I will be ordering connectors today. I am undecided about which switches to use, Knitter or NKK, half of this depends on what designs I can find and what thumb guard designs are like. I tried to google a figure of 8 LED holder but nothing came up, any ideas or is it a custom part that needs making?

Thanks again,

Kris

mirco2830

Hi Kris,

on Symprojects Website there is the DLC-247 http://www.symprojects.com/shop/dlc-247/ , that can be used for up to 24
7-Segment-Displays or 192 Leds, and to make connection easier, there is this http://www.symprojects.com/shop/8-leds- ... r-dlc-247/ .
You can E-Mail them to choose custom colours from yellow, red, blue and green after purchasing.
I hope this can help you.

theordl

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, I havent been keeping track of the thread here as the project log is located over at GT Planet.

The project log can be found here: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/f ... ip.308064/

I am still looking to source the rotary knobs, every company I have contacted or website I have searched has come up nil return.

Hope you enjoy reading the project log.

Kris